Avon Storm AV55 Front

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called Avon to inquire about an exchange of my problem tire. I don't want to post how I really feel about this encounter as the old warn meter might be burning for a while. :dribble:

They inquired as to my tire pressures and once I told them 40psi in the front 42psi in the rear, the response was that my tires are over inflated and should not ever exceed 36psi !?! Claims that the DOT forces them to place max PSI at 42, but they know better than the DOT. Serenity Now!!!

After I mentioned that I have run many sets of tires (including the Azaro's) on my bike with ner an issue at these pressures, I was told that I must still go and play around with air pressure front and rear to check if that really is the problem. Then after that, roll down hill and put the bike in neutral, clutch in and Feeeel if it's the front or reeeear tire causing the problem. More serenity now!!!

They claim that no warranty exchange will take place until I'm sure of which tire is bad. I'm 99.99999999% sure it's the front tire!!! :dribble: Tough shit, go play, then call us back. :blink:

Now I know Avon monitors this forum, is also a vendor at WFO, so they may want to clue in the customer service guy about this platform and what folks are doing with it.

Customer service, you gotta love it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Avon rep I spoke with was polite and smart enough to quickly determine that, since my rear Avon had been on and running fine for about 1,000 miles, and since the problem arose immediately after installing the new front, that it was reasonable to assume the front tire was the problem.

But he still offered no real help.

Ian, I feel your pain!

I just called Avon to inquire about an exchange of my problem tire. I don't want to post how I really feel about this encounter as the old warn meter might be burning for a while. :dribble:
They inquired as to my tire pressures and once I told them 40psi in the front 42psi in the rear, the response was that my tires are over inflated and should not ever exceed 36psi !?! Claims that the DOT forces them to place max PSI at 42, but they know better than the DOT. Serenity Now!!!

After I mentioned that I have run many sets of tires (including the Azaro's) on my bike with ner an issue at these pressures, I was told that I must still go and play around with air pressure front and rear to check if that really is the problem. Then after that, roll down hill and put the bike in neutral, clutch in and Feeeel if it's the front or reeeear tire causing the problem. More serenity now!!!

They claim that no warranty exchange will take place until I'm sure of which tire is bad. I'm 99.99999999% sure it's the front tire!!! :dribble: Tough shit, go play, then call us back. :blink:

Now I know Avon monitors this forum, is also a vendor at WFO, so they may want to clue in the customer service guy about this platform and what folks are doing with it.

Customer service, you gotta love it. :lol:
I have never had to deal with Avon on any kind of warranty issue but IMO, service is as important, if not more so, than the product they sale. If this is how Avon is going to handle problems when they arise, then maybe I will be testing a different brand tire the next time around. I know that they (Avon) could care less about losing one customer but for me I am just not interested in hassling with tires or the tire manufacture.

Thanks for the insight. Let us know how it goes from here.

Well screw me. I checked my new unmounted Avon Storms last night after I got home and discovered the front tire had the numbers for the problem tire. I guess I have no choice but to mount it and see how it goes. I will notice if it is bad becase I've never had an issue with any of the other tires I've run, including the Avon Azaros. They have all been rock solid with no vibrations or handlebar shake at any speed. If :unsure: anyone gets any info out of Avon let us know.

GP

Im am now certain I wont be putting Avons on my machine!

It appears obvious that their is an issue with this particular brand..

I can only hope this issue is resolved by them as its definately

gonna mean some loss of sales!!!

Skyway, let us know if you talk to Avon and what they have to say about the front tires.
GP
He is and he did. See post #80.
Scooter, I was talking about him calling Avon direct and letting us know what they said. I saw post #80. I guess I didn't understand post #84. Thought in post #84 he meant he had talked to reps but was going to call Avon direct. I just hope we get some better news from them on these problem tires. :blushsmiley:

GP

Scooter, I was talking about him calling Avon direct and letting us know what they said. I saw post #80. I guess I didn't understand post #84. Thought in post #84 he meant he had talked to reps but was going to call Avon direct. I just hope we get some better news from them on these problem tires. :blushsmiley:
GP
Well, this is a silly discussion.

In post #80, he said called "AVON", and in post #83, twn asked for clarification of AVON, or the US distributor, and in post #84, Skyway said he had called "AVON" direct. I guess we will have to wait for specific info from 'The Wanker'.

Skyway - Sorry to hear of your problems with Avon. In the past I called them on two occasions and great results with dealing with them. They even offered to replace a rear tire that took close to what I would call excessive weight to balance (55g) but I declined as it turned out I had no problems for the life of that tire.

I believe I spoke with someone who was with the US Distributor side of things. He was a hell of a guy, but I suppose someone new can be in that job.

What they are doing to you is complete bullshit. Why don't you provide his name and phone #, and I will make a call on your behalf.

Latest event in my Avon saga...

Only Avon dealer listed within a one hour radius of me is apparently out of business.

I shipped the defective tire back to SWMotoTires today. Using our company big-ass discount UPS account. Hopefully the price will be mucho less than the walk-in $42 reaming.

I'm way past giving up. Now just looking for some satisfaction in making Avon jump through a hoop or two. The money is now very secondary to my time invested.

I sent a feedback message to Avon/Cooper Tires(uk) and it was forwarded to "Avon Motorcycle Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Associates, Inc." In WA state. I called and, among other topics, had the same tire pressure discussion as Skyway, but let him know I was running them at 36 (which I was according to the Smartire). If 'over pressure' wears a tire like this, is the carcass of the tire ass-ymetrically weak on the left? It's odd that they would question a customer who runs the DOT pressure on the sidewall. While the number is the "Maximum Permissible Inflation Pressure" It still is a 'permissible' number!

He ended up telling me to find a cooperative dealer that would handle a warranty replacement.

The groove on the left runs all the way around the tire and is scalloped in places to the wear bars. The right side of the tire has decent tread left. 7K is on the tire after a Utah, So. Cal, Fl Keys, Utah trip. Mostly slab, no NASCAR :rolleyes:

AvonStormFront.jpg

mine took the same 2.5 to balance.
Jeff, you know how I ride, I have not experienced what you have.

Well, maybe that is not true on the wobble. Shortly after I put them on, I felt the 40-50 mph wobble on accel and decel, Was feeling the same as the Z-6 at their end. I swapped with MSC (he likes the stadas as well) to see if he noticed it, and he did not. I have around 2,000 on them now and they feel the same. I've gotten use to them. But no prob in the grip area.

Did you look to see if you threw a weight?
Yep, first thing I did was check for a thrown weight. The tire doesn't show any signs of runout in a static roll. So what I'm feeling is strictly under load.
Jeff,

Maybe you got a bad tire casting. I had *very* similar results from day one on my stock, OEM cruiser tires. When I finally had enough and changed it out, the bike changed its whole personality.

In addition, I recently had a similar "loose" and sloppy feel to the front end. The lower steering head bearing nut was almost one full turn loose.

Ponderings...

The picture of that worn tire looks as if there was a misappropriation of the 2 compounds. Not cool.

I sent a feedback message to Avon/Cooper Tires(uk) and it was forwarded to "Avon Motorcycle Customer Servicec/o Hoppe & Associates, Inc." In WA state. I called and, among other topics, had the same tire pressure discussion as Skyway, but let him know I was running them at 36 (which I was according to the Smartire). If 'over pressure' wears a tire like this, is the carcass of the tire ass-ymetrically weak on the left? It's odd that they would question a customer who runs the DOT pressure on the sidewall. While the number is the "Maximum Permissible Inflation Pressure" It still is a 'permissible' number!

He ended up telling me to find a cooperative dealer that would handle a warranty replacement.

The groove on the left runs all the way around the tire and is scalloped in places to the wear bars. The right side of the tire has decent tread left. 7K is on the tire after a Utah, So. Cal, Fl Keys, Utah trip. Mostly slab, no NASCAR :rolleyes:

AvonStormFront.jpg
As I noted earlier, my tire feels worst going into left handers. Chances are it will end up looking like this one as time goes on. That Avon tire is just plain funky looking.

There could be 2 things going on here. Aren't these tires dual compound? Maybe the curing process of the rubber is out of spec? Maybe there's a bad or missing belt in the tire?

I don't think the Storms are dual compound. The Azarro's were not.

Something else weird going on there. And that piccie is very telling. Not good. Though I am hoping it was just a short anomaly in the production process.

You are so right, there Skoot. The storms use RF technology (reactive footprint) and not dual compounds.

From the Avon web site: Avon's RF Technology is a quantum leap in technology from the dual compound tread, and will provide unparalleled evenness in wear patterns.

Storm Page

That makes the wear pattern even more concerning to me. Where does this leave us? Quality control during construction, or the material?

I did 1220 mile trip from Phoenix across Utah 12 - 24 -&95 & back thru Monument Valley this weekend (Sat night to Mon eve). My last trip on front Storm with about 8000 + miles, a bit of scallop effect from braking but just generally to the wear bars. My second rear Storm is near done with 5000 miles ( same as first tire). I love the handling & "feel" of the Storms & will be putting a new set on soon. . . .

That makes the wear pattern even more concerning to me. Where does this leave us? Quality control during construction, or the material?
That tire sure is weird, but I gotta tell you that mine are wearing very, very evenly across the used tread area. I'm going to vote for crappy QC. I just hope their customer service backs you guys up.