Battery Terminal Screw Oops

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavFJR

Reaction score
After 4 years of service I decided to replace the FJR's tired battery. Opening the access panel, found a marshmallow clump of corrosion on the negative terminal (note to self: check terminals every year). Anyway, while battling to loosen the severely corroded negative terminal screw, it broke loose and scurried down an abyss of wires near the frame, then disappeared. Before tearing into the bike looking for this screw, I thought I'd ask the experience of the the forum where the screw could have likely ended up? Based on its journey, would it eventually fall out during a ride, or damage anything (wires, etc.) at its present location? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

After 4 years of service I decided to replace the FJR's tired battery. Opening the access panel, found a marshmallow clump of corrosion on the negative terminal (note to self: check terminals every year). Anyway, while battling to loosen the severely corroded negative terminal screw, it broke loose and scurried down an abyss of wires near the frame, then disappeared. Before tearing into the bike looking for this screw, I thought I'd ask the experience of the the forum where the screw could have likely ended up? Based on its journey, would it eventually fall out during a ride, or damage anything (wires, etc.) at its present location? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Your screw is hiding out with all the socks that escaped from the laundry.... don't worry about it.

This site does not give errors... they must be earned by the poster.
rolleyes.gif

It pays to go to a battery barn type of retailer and get a few longer screws.

Especially if you have a few power feeds, ring terminals installed for all ya farkles.

My local shop gave me a few longer screws for free.

Plus one to the longer screws, star lock washer also.

This weekend I lost a plastic rivet center pin and a plastic panel washer that goes under the allen head.

Blew with the air hose and found the washer the next day.

Sometimes I find several pieces in the fairing black hole receptacle after a few years.

New batteries come with them. I think he's more concerned about it causing an issue wherever it ended up. Highly unlikely..

Yeah, been there, done that. Don't worry about it. It didn't drop anywhere where it will do damage. Last summer, when I took off the left side fairing to change coolant, I found a petrified goldfinch. Hope he enjoyed the ride, for a while, anyway.

Echoing the above posts. New battery will include new hardware and longer bolts are worth the few cents they might cost. Odd broken fastener will likely either fall out in the first ride or two or will fall out when you strip panels for a valve check.

Ride more..... worry less.

Thanks everyone... I appreciate those that took the time to offer me insight on this concern. I will button up the bike and ride.
smile.png

A touch of loctite on the nut doesn't hurt and also dielectric grease on the terminals help keep the corrosion down.

A cut down ear plug or heat shrink UNDER the nut keeps the nut easier to access too..

Regarding keeping the nut in place --

I had a battery shop guy suggest using a small piece of plastic drinking straw under the nut.

Works great!

A touch of loctite on the nut doesn't hurt and also dielectric grease on the terminals help keep the corrosion down.
A cut down ear plug or heat shrink UNDER the nut keeps the nut easier to access too..
Excellent idea! I got so pissed about the screw scurrying off I needed a beer. So in the meantime, I tightened the new terminal screws and shot some RTV under the nuts and let dry... I did try a straw, but had issues with it flexing and not allowing the screw to thread. However, I think it was more of a problem that the screw needed to be longer.