Best Magnetic Tank and Tail Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I have been reading through all of the past posts but wanted to see if there was one tank bag and tail bag that stood out from the rest. I would like the largest magnetic tank bag that fits the FJR securely. I also want the largest tail bag for the passenger seat I can get that will also stay securely in place. I am not really concerned with price and would like them both to be really good quality bags. Is there a dealer you would recommend? Thanks.

I have been reading through all of the past posts but wanted to see if there was one tank bag and tail bag that stood out from the rest. I would like the largest magnetic tank bag that fits the FJR securely. I also want the largest tail bag for the passenger seat I can get that will also stay securely in place. I am not really concerned with price and would like them both to be really good quality bags. Is there a dealer you would recommend? Thanks.
I have an Oxford bag, nothing special. However, a warning: I did find that its strap that goes round the steering head pulled into the works, and could become jammed into the bearing, there is no sufficient ridge on the frame.

I made a bracket that I fix using the tank securing screws, and I got my bettter half to shorten the strap by folding it and sewing the fold.

This works well.

My only other comment is to make sure that the kill switch doesn't get operated by the tank bag on full right lock.

I have a small magnetic Rally-Pac for a magnetic tank bag. It's probably too small for you, I only use it for my wallet, rain suit bottooms, change, and my gps goes in the map pocket. Maybe you could try Givi for a tailbag. They make good hard luggage, don't know why their soft would be different.

I use a Cortech Triple bag. I use the the smaller top bag on the tank to keep my AutoCom, MP3 and my gotta haves and use the big bag on my tail rack when I don't need my hard luggage or to augment my capacity for longer hauls. Lots of flexibility and great quality. Comes in both magnetic and strap on. I got the strap on but I wear a belt AND suspenders :D

Well,

I have the Cargo bags that cycle gear sells....

196.00 for both the tank bag and tail bag...

they had the cortech triple bag for 170.00

I like the cortech, but did not think the magnets were as strong holding as the frank thomas cargo bags.

I did not have the strap connected, when my bike slide 200 plus yards and it stayed in place...

the tail bag has bungees that are in a compartment under the bag and I had them wrapped under the seat and connected and they hold fine, it also comes with clear/milky plastic rain covers where the cortect rain covers were black....

I'll take some pictures while on break today and post them...

the tail bag also has expandable side compartments and a back strap that is hidden in the compartment that would face the back of the bike...

FTTANKBAG_BLK_310x246.jpg

ft20cargo20tail20bag_310x246.jpg

here is some

P1020371.jpg

P1020369.jpg

pulled the top case off,

P1020373.jpg

tank bag

P1020375.jpg

tank bag expanded

P1020380.jpg

tank bag removed, map base only

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h172/per...de/P1020378.jpg

ps if you remove the tank bag it can be converted to a tail bag as well, then you would use the base as a map pocket, this map pocket is in addition to the map pocket on the bag.

hope this helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
After having been a Cortech guy for years I would have to say the Nelson Rigg are better. I just got a Nelson Rigg large expandable magnetic tankbag and reall like it, they have pletny of nice looking tailbags too.

Steve

Has anyone gotten one of them 'uripean' Yamaha bags yet??

i have a joe rocket rapid transit bag recon 19 google it . hydration system , can be used for a back pack lots of zippers top case can hold a cell phone i use it for my mp3 player only draw back is the map window is small .

I have a Nelson Riggs RTB 500,..It's is very large, almost too big for a rear rack, but perfect for the rear seat. Used it quite a bit on my 600R but haven't had it on the beast yet. Maybe tonite i'll try n' take some pics of it on the bike...

-Don

Here is a link to our sport and sport touring luggage pages. I know I know.....Honda's, but hopefully this will give you a better idea of what we have to offer. The CL series is a popular choice. If you guys have any questions, please just ask.

Those Honda bags look a lot like Oxfords with less obtrusive logos...

...got a small Oxford bag myself, nice size, pricey but on sale, will have to keep an I on that head strap though.

I've had a Nelson Rigg for a number of months now and it is about the best tank bag I've had on a bike. The magnets are really strong and the bag has shown absolutely no wear. the zippers are smooth and tight. I'd recommend their bags - just find the largest aht you are willing to ride behind.

If price is no object then get a Big Mak tank bag. it doesn't even touch the tank and all you have to do is tilt it up to fill the gas tank.

See BigMak

Last edited by a moderator:
For a tailbag, consider a Motofizz (regular, not large size) from Aerostitch. It's a well designed bag with good attachments and lots of creative storage solutions. I use it on my annual 2k (each way) ride from NM to WA and back. It holds a ton of stuff.

I just picked up one of these. You have to go to the top of the page and click on "Luggage & Cargo Carrying" under "Metric Bikes", then "Rack, Seat & Trunk Bags", which takes you to a "3 ways to shop" page. Under Way #2, click on the "Nelson-Rigg" link. Then get on the phone and tell them how you found it for $41.00, because if you add it to the online cart, it will come up at $56.99

Hurry, before they fix their mistake.

You can thank me later. Or not. I'll still sleep tonight.