Blind guys GPS; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the pros/cons of the Nexus 7? I've read several reviews that like the display but really slam the charging system. What is your experience. What else was on your short list besides the Nexus?

TIA,

Roy

I kinda like that..... I have a Nexus 7 as well, and may try to implement this, I have the ram ball mount for my Galaxy S4, and its a bit on the small side for me also...

I had nothing else on my list, I bought it when they were first released - and got a discount. I don't use it a whole lot other then to operate my HT system, but it would be nice to use as a GPS if I need to.... I can't say the charging system is really an issue - works fine for me. My only issue is if someone leaves my XBMC app running which is an old app that doesn't go to sleep... then the battery goes dead, usually when I have parties. I really only got it so people aren't using my phone to run the setup.

With a built in GPS I think it will serve nicely for the purpose, rather then my phone. I found that RAM has a nice cradle for pretty cheap. $26 with case ?!?!?

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Tab-Tite-Universal-Clamping-Cradle/dp/B00DUU2PKA/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384365929&sr=1-4&keywords=tab-tite+with+case

https://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/GoogleNexus7TabTiteMounts/tabid/4706/Default.aspx

Anyone tried having their device waterproofed?

Saw this Liquipel demo on the tube

Sorry for the bad link, I'm posting via my phone

FWIW...... this stuff works great for just that purpose

Rust-Oleum just launched NeverWet, an amazing product that can waterproof nearly any surface or object. The ultra-hydrophobic spray coating was developed by Ross Nanotechnology, and it repels water like nothing you have ever seen. After a long time in development the product is finally available to the public, and you can get it now at Home Depot for $20 for an 18oz can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to bring an old thread back to life. I'd read this sometime back in the winter and it all seemed like a good idea. I'm to cheap to spend the kind of money that a Zumo would cost and I don't use GPS that much. In the past when I needed GPS on trips, like to find a particular address or location I'd used my Iphone 4S or now Iphone 5 with the Scout App. It works OK for directions. It plays verbal directions into my earbuds interrupting my music only when it needs to tell me directions, but the Iphone is usually in the vest pocket of my jacket and there are no visual ques.

Also my Ipad was broken a couple years ago and I've kind of wanted a new tablet. So making a long story short I get these emails from Micro-Center all the time anyway and started looking at the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0. I had a variety of technical questions that made me research on the web and I fell into a link from Newegg where they had the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 on sale for $229.00. The 3 8.0 has a faster processor, clearer and bigger display, and 1.5 Gig RAM with 16 Gig flash. That all made it seem better then the seven inch model. Even then I was dubious as I started wanting to spend $175.00 or so. Then I noticed that Newegg had a sale through 3/19/14 with a ten percent off coupon. Also I live in Chicago so Micro-Center charges me sales tax and Newegg doesn't. So I pulled the trigger tonight and went ahead. It came to $210.09 with shipping included after coupon and shipping added in. I thought that was a pretty hot deal, but maybe I don't know.

Then I know that I ride in all weather but snow and ice. So I know that things on my bike will be in the rain so I spent an hour or so more on the web and found this Dri-Bag waterproof pouch for it on Ebay for $5.00. I figured for $5.00 not much to lose and a waterproof pouch will always have uses. My FJR has a ram mount for an oversize cell phone on it already from the prior owner and it I can't adapt that I'll consider the Ram Mount Universal X-Grip. After the device comes and there's some decent Chicago weather I'll try to post about how it's working out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-Waterproof-Pouch-Dry-Bag-Protector-Skin-Case-Cover-for-Galaxy-Tab-Kindle-/300981906724?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1120

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131532

I used it on my trip to Michigan last summer and it worked fantastic for GPS and music. Ran wifi off my phone using FoxFi, and GPS never had an hiccup.

It's not probably as user friendly as a motorcycle GPS, but it obviously has more functionality. I love the 7" screen too.

So how are we all liking co-pilot as our GPS map app of choice these days. New season here on the bike. I can choose from my phone or Nexus 7, but I need to get a dedicated GPS app as. Google maps is ok but really blows in comparison to my Honda's Navi.... I need something better here and am willing to pay for a reasonably priced app.

Thoughts...

Links to other app threads ?

Had a hard time finding the other app threads, not sure how to search on this.

Thanks

Warp

2 Cents:

• Current model Nexus 7 has about the brightest (read "daylight readable") screens in a tablet today, can be had for about $200
  • Watch out for those snap-in mounts, more than a few YouTube videos of phones popping out mid-ride
  • Most phones have an option to "tether" via wiFi. Your phone becomes the hotspot for your tablet, and uses the phone's data plan. Suggest diligent use of this feature, it could be costly if the tablet does a lot of downloading in the background.
  • Agree that Conductive thread in glove fingertip is helpful with these things.
Wish I had suggestions for weatherproofing, I wouldn't use Neverwet on a new tablet, but on recycled hardware...?

How are the tablets holding with the vibration? Any problems?
As originator of this thread, I should probably chime back in.

I don't use this setup anymore only b/c my new bike (BMW K16GT-Sport) has a Garmin made 'Nav5' GPS built-into the dash. It's controlled by the handlebars "wonderwheel" so especially functionality wise, I'd be crazy not to use this setup. BUT! I do have my Samsung Galaxy 4 stem mounted and I do run Co-Pilot on that in a 2D wide out view. This way I get to see the big-outskirts of the area as well as my Nav5 spouting and showing T/T directions.

When I did use the Tab2 w Co-Pilot, it worked flawlessly. There is no need to have a hotspot setup on your smartphone like someone mentioned (although I did/do). If you run Co-Pilot GPS software it is all local (downloaded map tiles) so no bandwidth is needed to run the program/GPS.

I also have used Never Wet. I sprayed a circuit board on my built-in radar detector. So far it works great (I guess?). It's a 2 part process spray and it does leave the coating in a dull to satin appearance. Circuit boards don't care, exterior items may
wink.png

I gave away my ZUMO 450 to my brother, but I cannot bring myself to drop $900 on Garmin's latest, overpriced motorcycle-specific navigation unit. So I am going to rig up my iPhone 5s using the 25 mm RAM ball on my Motorad MV riser plate, an extra-long 1" RAM arm, and X-grip and this power cord which I will/could connect to my FuzeBlock and snake up through the RAM mount with twist ties:

https://www.powerlet.com/product/battery-harness-to-apple-iphone-5-charging-cable/632

The Co-Pilot and Sygic apps look promising but so far, the Sygic app looks a bit quirkier to me.

Both apps will drain the iPhone battery pretty fast so the constant power source is key.

For waterproofing, I am guessing a RAM compatible AquaBox will do the job though it may not allow for a power supply cable while it is inside being dry.

Once paired with my SENA SMH10, the iPhone, enabled with these GPS maps living on the iPhone, can do almost anything the Garmin product can do. If there is anything the Garmin does that the iPhone does not or cannot do, it is very likely something I don't need or want.

Unless I am missing something, having the ZUMO 590 onboard seems like a needless expenditure of cash and a device that is, let's say, 90% redundant of the iPhone 5s functionality.

I don't need any more devices than necessary to distract my vision while riding.

Am I missing something?

You're not missing much... when i bought my fjr, it came with a zumo 550. I used the zumo a few times around town just to play with it a little. Well i sold it a week later. For the price I got for the zumo, I bought a cheap garmin nuvi thats ram mounted in an aquabox on the right handlebar, a galaxy s3 that's ram mounted on the left handlear, and a galaxy tablet in the tankbag.

I don't miss the motorcycle specific gps..

In the aquabox, drill a hole as small as possible at the bottom to fish the cable through. You won't get water inside unless you actually submerge the thing.

<snipped>
For waterproofing, I am guessing a RAM compatible AquaBox will do the job though it may not allow for a power supply cable while it is inside being dry.

<snipped again>

Am I missing something?
I don't think so. I'm using the same setup -- with an iPhone 4s: RAM Aquabox with a slot drilled into the back so I have constant power to the phone. I use Google Maps and Spotwalla, and have a camera and email for claiming Big Money Rally points.

Keeping it simple.

One problem: gloves + Aquabox = no real control over the display. When I get 'notifications' of a missed phone call or an upcoming event, the screen is obscured by the little alarm pop-up.

Just so you know, screaming at the f-ing phone does not solve this problem but does underscore the need to wear earplugs while riding.

I run a samsung galaxy tab lite it cost me all of $69. I use a virgin mobile hot spot that I buy a gig recharge at Walmart for $20 a month. I run co-pilot and waze on the tablet. I run it on the car as well as on the bike sometimes (I have a zumo 550 so that is normally the gps on the bike). I really like waze for the info it provides regarding LE. I like co-pilot and it's ability to have all of huge maps local. It is a cheap tablet and a inexpensive gps program certainly does the job. Can't comment on waterproof as I put everything away and just run the zumo. I have noodled over the 590lm a bit and would love to have one. The lack if a spare grand lying around is the reason that hasn't happened.