Brake Job - Total cost from Boats.net

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
I own a 2007 with 50K miles. Since winter is here, it's time to start on a small winter task to replace front and rear pads.

Do these numbers/quantity look correct? Do I need anything else?

2007FJR_zps1418fe90.jpg

Are you sure you need to replace all the pads? Fronts, both the linked and non lined pads and the rears wear at different rates.

The kit should provide all pads for one side. You only need 2 kits not 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked a little further and need to make a correction.. The kit you are looking at has only 2 pads so you'd need 4 kits.

EBC brakes (and most aftermarket brands) at Bike Bandit has all 4 pads in each kit so you'd need two of those. The EBC kits are about $55 each and they are a very good product.

You really don't need new rotors unless they become warped, and you will feel them pulsing when that happens. There is a maximum wear spec (min thickness) and you could measure it with a dial gauge caliper or micrometer. But I still wouldn't replace them until they warped, even if they were below spec.

I own a 2007 with 50K miles. Since winter is here, it's time to start on a small winter task to replace front and rear pads.

Do these numbers/quantity look correct? Do I need anything else?

2007FJR_zps1418fe90.jpg
Exactly the amount and where I bought mine. They are in the parts locker. Not a cheap thing to stock. I can tell you do not be swayed by EBC cost. They turn into dust pretty quick compared to OEM brake pads. Anything I have used EBC turns into Vapor Ware very fast!

If you use boats.net sister site powersportsplus.com, you can use the promo code "meetsister" for a 5% discount. This may or may not result in a lower cost.

Besides the thickness and warping already mentioned, you'd want to replace rotors that had grooves worn in them.

Are you sure you need to replace all the pads? Fronts, both the linked and non lined pads and the rears wear at different rates.
No doubt! For the few minutes it takes to remove a brake caliper from a wheel, I'd inspect them before I bought anything.

But to the point, make sure you have brake cleaner, and old toothbrush, 320 & 600 grit emery cloth and brake parts grease. You'll want to clean and lube the moving parts. And consider purple loctite (slightly weaker than blue) for mount bolts- mine have come loose twice.

OK I must be missing something here. 1 kit = 2 pads right? 2 pads per caliper. Correct? 2 calipers on the front wheel? How the heck does this add up to 4 kits and $336 for the front? My goodness, I'd be broke (or at least more broke) if I did self maintenance with math like this.

As far as your rotors go, you can take them off and bring them in to be check. I did that once 'cuz I suspected they were grooved too much and was told they were still plenty good. Now if you're just looking for an excuse to get wave rotors, I guess that's entirely up to your wallet.

OK I must be missing something here. 1 kit = 2 pads right? 2 pads per caliper. Correct? 2 calipers on the front wheel? How the heck does this add up to 4 kits and $336 for the front? My goodness, I'd be broke (or at least more broke) if I did self maintenance with math like this.

As far as your rotors go, you can take them off and bring them in to be check. I did that once 'cuz I suspected they were grooved too much and was told they were still plenty good. Now if you're just looking for an excuse to get wave rotors, I guess that's entirely up to your wallet.

You have a Gen I grasshopper.

Gen IIs are a different type of POS that cost significantly more to do a brake job to. Four pads per caliper.

Gen IIs are a different type of POS that cost significantly more to do a brake job to. Four pads per caliper.

Yet another reason not to down grade to something newer!

(what else could be said when feeling like a doofus?)

Yet another reason not to down grade to something newer!

(what else could be said when feeling like a doofus?)
You could say, "Shit...I should send HRZ all my money. That'll make me smarter."

AND as Skooter pointed out, its 4 pads per side; 8 per wheel.

Ok wise guy.. If yer so smart how many pads total? no calculator or help from your kids.

Leave yer fekin shoes on too..

:****: