Broken Penske Clevis.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pertaining to exskibum's posts though, I am more concerned about how his arguments apply to those of us who host tech days. I can see already that the potential for nightmares could be limitless.
While nightmares are possible in our broken legal system, I don't view them as likely. In fact, common sense suggests that tech day assistance to the typical do-it-yourself wrencher is going to minimize maintenance related accidents in the aggregate by virtue of such assistance.

Doing it right and making sure it's right are the gold standard for avoiding nightmares. Insurance to cover such liabilities are the usual recommendation for the possible parades of horribles. A signed express assumption of the risk waiver/covenant is another layer of protection, but there is risk in everything.

Some shit has more risk than other shit and it's ironic to even state that obvious fact among fellow motorcyclists. You pick your risks and decide which ones to take and which to avoid. My point was to warn of possible legal risks, and suggest seeking alternatives (like a Penske company fix), trying to minimize those risks and being extra careful about what you can control when in the zone of risks you know exist.

Disclaimer: I am not neither a mechanical engineer nor a currently practicing attorney and can not recommend that anyone modify or maintain the suspension (or anything else for that matter) on their own or others' bikes.
Stealing and restating Fred's disclaimer, with modifications, to be applicable to my own posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in this mutual admiration society, but I don't see that bolt as 'the Root Cause' for the failures we are experiencing. It may be adding some stress to the assembly, but I don't see it causing the shearing action we have here.

I see a low production part for a suspension component from a company who's claim to fame is for performance parts in a racing setting. Any competent/winning race team will have serviced these components many times during the course of the racing season. They will have several spare parts and assemblies on hand to meet the demands that competition places on the effort. The mindset for the engineers are directed toward this type of service environment, not the long distance, install and forget about it, oft neglected service environment to be expected in our application.

The term 'Competition Improves the Breed' applies, as we are the beneficiaries of the products spun off in order to finance the effort. The Crucible and the Marketplace go hand in hand here.

Both clevis designs are most likely made from Bar Stock aluminum, Grain direction runs along the length of the bar and is circular within it - like tree rings. The Penski clevis has several design flaws which put it at great risk.

1. The wide flat mostly unsupportive bridge design.
  2. The relatively small diameter threaded post sticking up from this thin, flat bridge joining the uprights.
  3. The even smaller necked down thread relief and minimal fillet radius formed only by the tool nose radius of a 55 degree insert. (DNMG432 most likely)
  4. The smallish 1/4 inch fillet radius between the bridge and upright sections, allowing the bridge section to flex a bit under extreme loading - such as the suspension bottoming out.

This was a part designed by a 'Mill Hand' most familiar with prismatic workpieces. The stresses placed upon it by the working load is concentrated directly into the unsupported middle of this design compromised flat bridge, by its thread relief and small tool nose radius. The shear strength of the material is the only thing counteracting this concentration of force. It will fail given the right circumstances. Aluminum is strong only up to a point, and then failure will be quick and catastrophic. I'm no engineer, but I believe the Modulus of Elasticity has a lot to do with it. Steel would be much more forgiving with this design; and since we aren't using it in a competitive environment, I submit that a change to stainless steel by the manufacturer, Penski, would be the proper fix. The relatively minimal weight gain would be far offset by the reliability of the component.

80ED7981-45B6-4C07-B312-92112F47287F_zpsdmazvrhu.jpg

Contrast that with the RaceTech clevis...

P1030449%20Medium_zpsbuitqunu.jpg

I see a lot more consideration for the shearing forces inherent in a clevis design. A generous fillet radius past the end of the much larger diameter thread, with NO undercut thread relief. The curved shape of the top of the crown forms a cone, which is much stronger than a flat faced structure. Large fillet radii (5/8" minimum from the looks of it) supporting the legs. This crown shape directs the shearing forces outward into the the legs via their generous fillet radius. The surface between the front and side faces is probably the just a clean up pass on the bar itself. Grain patterns are greatly supported in this configuration.

This part was definitely designed by someone with an eye for strength and efficiency.

It is a beautiful thing.
wub.png

Disclaimer...I am not an engineer, not even trained to be one. I am a Machinist with an eye for these kind of things.

I also stayed in a Holiday Inn sometime in the recent past.
Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Note...

I had a hard time figuring out the Penski because of it's rather prismatic nature. The thread relief gave me the clue, as it yelled out to me that it is a 'turned' feature, not a 'milled' one. It is quite possible that it started out as a cold sawn block from plate stock and placed in a lathe for the threaded feature, but experience tells me that costs of manufacture would be higher. However, if it were from plate stock, grain direction would be a factor of which direction it was oriented when cut out. If in line with the axis of the suspension it would be even weaker than if it were across it the wide way - the wide flat bridge design being the key.

Hey Brodie, what's a "Penski?"
wink.png

I did go ahead and email Penske just to let them know that I'm aware of the issue, obviously concerned, and would like to encourage them to develop a fix. Got a reply from a gentleman named Eric, who told me they are also concerned, and looking into it with "high priority." He also said: "We have the OEM parts to inspect what would be causing this issue. Once we have a fix we will be making a statement. We will either be posting on our website and or on certain FJR forums."

I also have talked to Eric multiple times and have nothing but good things to say about him and his professionalism with regard to helping me sort through the clevis issue and some other shock settings.

Hey Brodie, what's a "Penski?"
wink.png
I think maybe that is the Polish version.
unsure.png

I also have talked to Eric multiple times and have nothing but good things to say about him and his professionalism with regard to helping me sort through the clevis issue and some other shock settings.
Good thing since this is the only thing that they do in the motorcycle arena. They should be very accommodating and come up with a solution to this problem, which was heretofore hidden in reports of owner mis-installation reports. I'm not quite as hypecritical of their design as Brodie is in his assessment (and certainly not dismissing it either), but clearly they do owe their loyal customer base a reasonable solution at a reasonable or free cost basis.

I will contact Eric and ask him if he wants my broken parts. I was shipped the replacement, but they didn't see too interested in the broken clevis. Sounds like they may be looking for a real engineered solution. Once again, the FJRforum having an effect on design and improvements.

I will contact Eric and ask him if he wants my broken parts. I was shipped the replacement, but they didn't see too interested in the broken clevis. Sounds like they may be looking for a real engineered solution. Once again, the FJRforum having an effect on design and improvements.
I agree. All they really have to do is duplicate the RaceTech clevis and the problem will be solved. The RaceTech people knew the forces that they were up against. I tip my hat to them. :)

There is a way to fix this temporarily or it could be a permanently fix if you wish.

Measure the gap at the clevis and place an 1/2" x 3/4" arbor washer on the bolt like this. I had a 0.015" to 0.016" gap so I placed a 0.014" washer on the bolt at this position. You have to slip the washer between the pivot collar and the clevis at the left side.

P1040095_zpsagf982gs.jpg

You can order an arbor shim package like this from Fastenal and just pick out the ones you need.

P1040105_zpshyek6omi.jpg

Reminder: with the Penske ride height feature, the clevis can be rotated so the larger hole is on the LH or RH side. Doesn't matter to the bearing race [collar] other than where the shim is placed.

--G
Right, left, right you are! The shim washer goes between the leg of the clevis with the larger hole and the collar/bearing race.

so...all this just as I'm getting ready to finally replace the tired shock on my '06....Was going to pull the trigger on a Penske 8983 but is this cli, um clevis problem a deal breaker... I think I like the Penske over the Ohlin...feature for feature ??

Not a deal breaker at all. Just make sure that the head of the shoulder bolt doesn't pinch the clevis yoke together. If it does, figure out a way to fit a washer in there to prevent it. They are (otherwise) great shocks.