Broken Penske Clevis.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my pics, after 1000 miles. (I spent more than Fred, as my bolt is a 10.9
tonguesmiley.gif
)

The top bolt in this first picture is the 12mm bolt with stock spacer/collar, and extra spacer at the left end (and it is a little smaller than necessary 16mm) that I used as a temporary fix. I inserted this set up through the smaller hole with the extra spacer inside the larger hole leg. The bottom bolt is a brand new OEM bolt and Collar for comparison.

20170412_154559_zpsqgjobwro.jpg

There is a very slight bit of scoring on the bolt shaft where it passed out of the 12mm hole.

20170412_145114_zpsaljbudxb.jpg

This worked, I think - albeit with a larger gap than we would like. I imagine lots of crud ending up in that gap. The new updated clevis will hopefully address this... then I can throw away the $8 I spend on the 12mm bolt, nut and makeshift collar from my local hardware store, plus the $12 for the OEM bolt and collar (and shipping) from partshark.

20170325_120156_zpsxmmyrges.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look back to my photos of the stock 2014ES shock clevis you'll see that gap is present there too. I think you need to have some gap between the clevis and the body of the relay arm so it is free to move. When the suspension is unweighted you'll be able to move that relay arm side to side sliding the bearing needles on the stationary inner race. There are seals on each side of the relay arm pivot to keep the weather and road crud out of the bearing.

The only real difference between our setups is that I used a piece of the inner bearing as a spacer, which is the ideal 12mm ID and 17mm OD. Your spacer is a little bit undersized in OD, which means it will be a sloppy fit in the 17mm clevis hole.

yes, and I do have two OEM collars now, so I will replace that sloppy fitting extra collar/spacer with .79cm cut off of one of them.

I also measured the inside distance between the clevis legs on on my stock shock, its exactly the same distance as the Penske (atleast they got that right), I just didn't have a picture of my stock shock installed to compare the resulting gaps.

I don't give a shit. I'm waiting for Penske to send me the fix that appears to be a short time away. In 60000 miles I had to replace the damn clevis once. I can handle a couple more weeks for Clevis-2... hell I still ride a Gen I and have survived the lack of spider failures, cruise controls that only go 80 and LED lights that don't play nice with aftermarket stuff. It seems the replacement to this one will soon be replaced. Carry on.
Did you get your new clevis and bolt, or are you still waiting? My arbor washer is still doing the job fine.

I don't give a shit. I'm waiting for Penske to send me the fix that appears to be a short time away. In 60000 miles I had to replace the damn clevis once. I can handle a couple more weeks for Clevis-2... hell I still ride a Gen I and have survived the lack of spider failures, cruise controls that only go 80 and LED lights that don't play nice with aftermarket stuff. It seems the replacement to this one will soon be replaced. Carry on.
Did you get your new clevis and bolt, or are you still waiting? My arbor washer is still doing the job fine.
We were told a new design was in final setup and would be available...that was two years ago. I think we can still get a free replacement by calling direct, but I don't know if they ever delivered on this promise. Pretty disappointing considering the safety issue here.

Winter is coming.. resurrection of the dead (threads). I have been riding nearly two years on this poorly fitting pensky stuff.. gonna fix it this winter..

Not sure how yet.

Latest posts