Bummed! first test sit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshaft

Reaction score
I've been wanting to add something else to the stable for a while now. I currently have a Honda VTX 1300R. I've been wanting to add some type of sport tourer and the FJR was on my short list. I went to a local dealer and sat on a 2008 for the first time yesterday. Unfortunately, it looks like me being vertically challenged may come into play again on bike choice. The FJR sat just a little high. I was on my tip toes. :( The dealer said the seat was all the way lowered. Damn! I was hoping it was all the way up. Not sure there's much else I can do but end my quest for a FJR.

I also sat on a Honda ST1300. I sat just a little lower and was on the balls of my feet. I like the look of the FJR alot better but the ST1300 fit me better height wise.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the ergos since I was already bummed about it being a little to tall for me.

My inseam is 32" and I sit flat-footed on the FJR. Are you really sure the seat was in its lowest position? Just before buying mine, I sat on an ST1300 and don't recall it being noticeably different. You might give it one more try if it's important to you. I liked everything about the Honda except the styling. It just seemed to shout "Hey, look, I'm a Power Ranger!". :lol:

My inseam is 32" and I sit flat-footed on the FJR. Are you really sure the seat was in its lowest position? Just before buying mine, I sat on an ST1300 and don't recall it being noticeably different. You might give it one more try if it's important to you. I liked everything about the Honda except the styling. It just seemed to shout "Hey, look, I'm a Power Ranger!". :lol:
My inseam is about 30" so I didn't expect to flat foot it. But did think I'd be able to sit comfortably on with the balls of my feet. I'm sure I'll test sit another one just to be sure. Are there any after market seats that lower you a little bit?

I am only 5'6" Inseam is probably 31 ish. The first dealer I went to Didn't even have the seat on right. and could not show me how to raise or lower it. I had to show them! It may not be all the way down. FJR is fine by my short body.

I'm 5'9", about 180, also with a 30" inseam, and I am on the balls of my feet on my '08. I'd say check another one out, and make sure the rear shock is set to soft, might make a bit of a difference.

And yes, there's always the aftermarket.

I remember the first time I sat on an FJR at the dealer, and how I came home and told my wife how I REALLY didn't like the way the bike felt. I don't know what changed, but I must have grown to like it, and adjusted the way I sit, since I now try to ride 4 or more days per week. The bike can be adjusted to fit a pretty wide range size of people. I now have a Corbin seat on the bike, and it helps get me a little close to the ground. I have a 32" inseam, and I can flat foot the bike no problem.

My inseam is about 30" so I didn't expect to flat foot it. But did think I'd be able to sit comfortably on with the balls of my feet. I'm sure I'll test sit another one just to be sure. Are there any after market seats that lower you a little bit?
I bought a corbin , when I ordered it, they ask make'model, and year AND INSEAM. They can make the seat narrower for you which will get your feet closer to the ground. Talk to them on the phone they can do it. I imagine other companies can too.

i'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and at first my FJR seemed too tall for me. now that i've put 6000 miles on it it seems to be settling in some and seems to me like i'm getting more foot on the ground now.

My name is Jeff and I'm average size. Hello average Jeff.

5'10", 30" inseam.

Brand new bikes don't "settle" to a normal position. The suspension has to have a few hundred miles on it, before normal behavior sets in. Best thing is to judge seat height on a slightly used bike.

I have a 28-29" inseam. I finally (after 10-15, 0 mph tip-overs) gave up and put lowering links on my '06 FJR. Prior to that I found a pair of boot with the tallest heels I could find. I plan to see if a shoe repair shop can add another 1/2 inch.

Friday, I have a ride-in appointment with BMS for a custom seat... I've been told they can gain 1/2 to 1" (lower seating height for me).

As it is I can now flat foot one foot and almost flat foot the other one. I would be much happier if I could flat foot both and hopefully I will be able to.

The FJR poses no problem above 1 mph. However it is (especially with full fuel) quite top heavy. If one is "inseam" challenged it becomes quite evident once the bike tips past that "magic" point. At that point it is a question of age, conditioning and adrenalin as to whether it will stay up or not. With the bags on, it is a little like a boat "rolling over", it just wants to keep rolling and rolling! You get used to it after a while. :rolleyes:

Good luck! First farkle is mandatory....Sliders!!!!!

LC

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I'm on the balls of my feet with the 08. The Sargent seat on my 03 definitely put my feet flatter on the ground. Boots with a thicker sole help. I'm sure you can make it work if you are really interested.

i'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and at first my FJR seemed too tall for me. now that i've put 6000 miles on it it seems to be settling in some and seems to me like i'm getting more foot on the ground now.
I have to agree. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. After 5500 miles the bike is definitely settled and I find that I am much less worried at stop signs. When I first got the bike I was thinking I would need a lower seat, but now I can almost flat foot at stops.

I'm 5'8 with 29" inseem on a good day. I find that gen II bikes have a wider front part of the seat that make it more diffecult to reach the ground. :angry2:

QUOTE (crankshaft @ Apr 28 2008, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also am the owner of a 30" inseam, and I certainly can't get both feet flat on the ground on my '05 FJR. In my flat soled boots, I balance the bike on the balls of my feet. (And when I had aftermarket suspension components installed, the bike rose even slightly higher than stock - and I noticed!) But this all works out okay for me, so the issue comes down to one's comfort level and the expectations one might bring from prior bike experience.

If you've always flat-footed a bike, then not doing so will be unfamiliar and place you in new territory. Just know that others have compensated either by adjustments to their bike, their apparel, or the care they exercise at slow speeds. But in the end you must assess and establish your own comfort zone.

QUOTE (74mach @ Apr 28 2008, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked everything about the Honda except the styling. It just seemed to shout "Hey, look, I'm a Power Ranger!". :lol:

You can be a Power Ranger on an FJR, too!

ranger1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
32 inseem here and no problem so no help there but I think I remember one of our members writing in that they had a 27 inch inseem and had never put the bike down.. If you combine the lowering of the seat, a lowering link, and thick soled shoes you can gain close to 3 inches.

After riding the bike for awhile and all systems broken in you might even be able to take the link back out again if you really need to get that last little bit of cornering clearance back.

Do we have anyone in the Dayton Ohio area with a lowered bike that this person could do a test fit on??