Canyon Cages for 2013, development input.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they will open fine but just not all the way....I will go up Monday and have a look......i want my bike back so i hope we are not going to be changing to much from now on....

R

Latest update......

Alrighty, we got the 45 degree angle bar mocked up and we were able to get it into a position where it does NOT restrict the opening of the bag! Also, since we were able to use a mounting point that's slightly further back, we no longer have to mount to the passenger peg which gives your passenger more room to put their foot. So, that's another plus of the 45 degree angle bar over the original one. I got some photos for you guys so let me know what you think! Keep in mind, we will be adding that vertical support bar to this Saddle Bag Guard if you guys like this design, we just didn't do it yet because we're getting a little short on time and I wanted to get your guys' opinions on this mock up.

IMG_0490_zpse71e682e.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsc3dfa223.jpg

IMG_0492_zps126eb676.jpg

IMG_0493_zps8faa4439.jpg

IMG_0494_zpsc0f0ef23.jpg

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the way we had to do the brackets for this design (although I do like the look of the guard itself quite a bit better) but once the bar is finished in black powder coat, I have a feeling those brackets will disappear into the bike a bit better and hardly be visible. Any opinions/comments on this design? Do you guys like this one better or the original, vertical design better?
And another update.

It sounds like we're going to be keeping the 45 degree angle Saddle Bag Guard but we are tweaking it slightly. I think you guys will really dig the change, though. We're changing that rearmost bracket (the goofy kinda one that turns at a 90 degree angle near the exhaust) to be tubing instead of flat stock and we're also changing the angle of the guard itself slightly so it more closely matches that of the saddle bag. I'll update with photos once it's finished!

I like how it's shaping up.

As far as color goes, I think my personal preference would be to try to match the front piece with the light silver of the engine to help it blend in more.

Latest update......

And another update.

It sounds like we're going to be keeping the 45 degree angle Saddle Bag Guard but we are tweaking it slightly. I think you guys will really dig the change, though. We're changing that rearmost bracket (the goofy kinda one that turns at a 90 degree angle near the exhaust) to be tubing instead of flat stock and we're also changing the angle of the guard itself slightly so it more closely matches that of the saddle bag. I'll update with photos once it's finished!
I like the tubing idea over the funny bracket. If this is 1" tubing, it looks a little heavy. Back there you might be OK with 7/8".......... Engine silver or charcoal gray works for me too.

As far as color goes it's gonna be like a 32 Ford....any color u like as long as it's black.

But I will ask.....

R

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as color goes it's gonna be like a 32 Ford....any color u like as long as it's black.But I will ask.....

R

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I ain't to expeeert on guards but I don't think I have ever seen a set that is not black or chrome. So why re-invent the wheel? More of a PITA for the manufacturer of what will be a small volume item and most likely will drive up cost. Personally, I think they would look funny if trying to match one of the engine colors. One could always paint them whatever color they would like on their own.......

imho

This just in from Ryan.....

Hey! I noticed a few people were discussing the color of the guards and one gentleman thought that the 1" bars look a tad heavy compared to 7/8". In response to that: We will most likely only be offering this guard in the normal matte black powder coat that we normally do. However, if people would like to purchase a set raw so they can get it color matched, we can do that as well. However, I don't think we'll be offering chrome as it doesn't sell very well. People seem to really prefer the black. With regards to the tubing size, the weight difference between 7/8" and 1" is no more than a pound or two when you take both front and rear guards into account. Weight is moreso dependent on the thickness of the tubing than the overall diameter. We're currently using .083 and I wouldn't want to go much thinner than that as you'll begin to sacrifice rigidity. Also, the 1" bars are much easier to find clamps for for people who want to mount pegs or lights to their bar.
Thanks!

Ryan Nichols

Last edited by a moderator:
We have seen a few set's of the older bars that were color coded. They really did look good. Made them look like they were a stock option and were not near as noticeable.

Hope Garauld has his color code power coating correct now for the 1300's.

It would be nice to have a replaceable Delrin cover/slider at the contact points where it touches the ground?

And Yet another update....looks like one side is finished...

If I may make a suggestion...
On my FJR the bike would tip over and the frame sliders I had would work until it pivoted over them and then it would rest on the slider, the mirror and the bag. Since the slider on mine was about the same place as the top front of the bar you have, you might check it for this second stable state and devise a way to make the top guard higher than the motorcycle's center of gravity. Its truly hard to tell from the pics, but would be worth checking.

Fwiw, on my 07, it was not difficult at all to get it to this second stable state. One time I parked on a slight grade and forgot to leave it in gear. The bike rolled off the stand and ended up tearing up the mirror and upper fairing.

Like I said, worth a check, in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
We definitely take that into account, trust me! We design the guard so that when it hits the ground, it stays at that position. Now, as you're saying, it is possible for the bike to roll over that initial point and ding the mirrors but with the way our guards are designed, it's very, very difficult to do. Rolling over that initial point is much easier with frame sliders because it's only resting on that single, dinky little point. So, we definitely keep that in mind when designing these parts but I appreciate the input!

Also, we've changed the saddle bag guard slightly and I think you guys are REALLY going to dig it. We changed that funky rear bracket and bent the tubing so the tube connects to that bracket instead of having flat stock come out and connect to the bar. What do you guys think (keep in mind, that seam you see near the lower part of the curve won't be visible once the part is finished)?

IMG_0507_zpsb8c5aa27.jpg

IMG_0508_zpse098497c.jpg

IMG_0499_zps30428fb1.jpg

If you look at the above photo, you'll notice the angle is slightly off from that of the saddle bag itself. That angle is the closest we can physically get it. If we were to move the rear back or the front forward any, the lid would hit the guard when you open it and there wouldn't be enough room for the passenger to comfortably rest their feet. Also, the nice thing about this design is it allows the peg to fold up and down which is a nice plus.

IMG_0502_zps89faa0a1.jpg

Here's a shot from a little bit of a distance so you guys can see how the guards look...

IMG_0505_zpsb1c75bd5.jpg

...And a close-up of the front guard now that it's completely welded...

IMG_0504_zps6ba60dad.jpg

Gerauld has the paint now for the 13, not sure if that could be used for powder coating though....

Me i am going with black, cant wait another 2 weeks to get them painted.

R

Rich, is it possible to get a picture with someone sitting in the passenger seat. Want to see what the clearance is at the footpeg with a boot on it. (Hopefully they have somone on the shorter side.)

Ok folks here is a major update.......

Here's a big update for everyone! We're getting very close to having both the Canyon Cage and Saddle Bag Guards done for both sides! We'll probably be able to get them finished up and sent over to powder coaters tomorrow so hopefully we'll have some finished product for you guys to look at by Thursday of next week! Anyway, here's a look at the Saddle Bag Guards now that we have them fully welded:

IMG_0510_zpsd985f2b6.jpg

IMG_0511_zps91581e0f.jpg

Here's a look with the bike on its kickstand with me just standing next to it. When you look at it from this angle (what I call the "normal angle") you can hardly tell the angle is slightly off from that of the saddle bag.

IMG_0526_zps5235b075.jpg

IMG_0527_zps3c40d5e6.jpg

Here are some shots of the right hand side now that we finally have it bent and welded in place!

IMG_0512_zpsb9be1e16.jpg

IMG_0513_zps4c0d6893.jpg

The only thing about the right side is there is slightly more space between the guard and the bike because the engine is shifted slightly to the left on this bike for some reason. However, it's still very close to the bike and low-profile. I think the guard looks great on there though because it's symmetrical with the opposite side.

IMG_0514_zpsddb669d8.jpg

IMG_0515_zps82c871e0.jpg

IMG_0516_zpsbf06cecb.jpg

Here's a photo of me sitting on the bike with my leg up on the peg and down on the ground so you can see how much spacing there is between my knee/shin and the bar. In the photo it looks like the bar gets a bit close to my leg but there's more room there than the picture shows because of how close the bar runs along the bike as you can see from the top view.

IMG_0517_zps1c08404d.jpg

IMG_0518_zps09ae5e27.jpg

IMG_0521_zps6d2148ff.jpg

Here are some shots with both a rider and passenger on so you can see the foot placement. It does get a little close but the passenger has more room with this set than any of our other Saddle Bag Guards and I never hear complaints about those so there shouldn't be any problem with your passengers having enough room. Unless your passenger is over 6' or something maybe...

IMG_0519_zpsa6624b5a.jpg

IMG_0520_zps943dcd5a.jpg

And finally some wider shots of the bike on its side resting on the guards! As you can see the guards hit at the same exact time (on both sides!) and holds everything including the mirrors and exhaust off the ground! Also, take note of the position of the peg. It's bent up quite a ways before the bars hit so you have plenty of "warning" space in there once your hero peg scrapes before the guards actually come in contact with the ground.

IMG_0525_zps779bdf3d.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsd368a94c.jpg

IMG_0522_zps71332ab3.jpg

IMG_0523_zpsec7f9560.jpg

Excellent.

So Richie, how much of an coronary did you experience seeing your FJR on its side like that?

Very nice product. Can't wait to see them completed with the black powdercoating.

Any mention of the estimated cost yet?

--G