center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorocket

Reaction score
hi,

anyone have tips on how to get the beast up on center stand? i've tried a couple times to rock it back, but almost lost my balance. r you on the bike or off of it when attempting?

thanks from a rookie fjr guy

BikerGeek99 that was awesome! I rate that as the single best post I ever read on this forum and that is really saying something. My hat is off to you sir! (I have to put it back on now, sunburn on a semi-bald head is unpleasant)

To answer the OP: Get OFF the bike. Grab the handle in the side of the bike made just for this purpose. Step down on the stand until it touches the ground. The bike needs to lean away from you for both sides of the stand to touch. It will feel like it is going to fall away from you so DON'T let the pressure off the foot pushing down on the stand. At this point it is all about the technique developed on every bike that ever had a centerstand.

colorocket: As you can tell from the responses here and the many pages of Google results, this topic has been discussed, rehashed, mangled, chewed on, and spit out many times in the past. You're not the first to miss the "how to search the forum with Google" tutorial early on and you won't be the last. Folks here aren't always quite so quick to pounce... er... I mean “help you out.”
winksmiley02.gif

BikerGeek99: Gotta say, that link is awesome!
punk.gif

If someone were to search for LMGTFY in the Forum, you will find this has been a somewhat frequently used tool. Unlike some of the other 'help' we have offered people, this one doesn't draw blood as often.

Posted this in another thread, so here we go again (only I'm now 71, and 139 lbs, and it's still no problem):

This is destined for NEPRT anyway, so what the heck?

I'm 145 lbs, and 70 years. I can get it up even when tired. It's technique for us non-rotundly challenged people. Weight helps, but if I can do it, anybody should be able to.

Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on hand grip under the seat.

Face the bike, ball of right foot on stand. Push stand to the ground.

Keeping stand pushed down, push bike away from you until you feel the other centre-stand foot touch the ground.

Now lift left foot off ground, so all of your weight is on your right foot. Use the right hand simply to maintain your balance.

This is the bit that's difficult to explain. Bend you right knee, push yourself up a bit, then drop by bending the knee, as you come down, straighten your leg so forcing the centre-stand down. Best analogy I can give is trying to burst a ball under your foot by first stepping on it, then bouncing on it. It's a smooth action, no jerking required. My old joints won't take any sort of jerking these days.

Make sure you're on level ground, and don't do anything with your left hand other than keep the bars straight.

The right hand may lift a little, but it's really only keeping your balance. Lift too much and it may push the bike over as well as strain your joints.

Confidence that the bike won't fall is one issue. If necessary, get a bike-savvy person to stand the other side to catch the bike if that gives you the confidence to try while you practice.
[edit]

Found a posting by TominCA that shows a good video. Clicky

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in another thread, so here we go again (only I'm now 71, and 139 lbs, and it's still no problem):
This is destined for NEPRT anyway, so what the heck?
I'm 145 lbs, and 70 years. I can get it up even when tired. It's technique for us non-rotundly challenged people. Weight helps, but if I can do it, anybody should be able to.

Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on hand grip under the seat.

Face the bike, ball of right foot on stand. Push stand to the ground.

Keeping stand pushed down, push bike away from you until you feel the other centre-stand foot touch the ground.

Now lift left foot off ground, so all of your weight is on your right foot. Use the right hand simply to maintain your balance.

This is the bit that's difficult to explain. Bend you right knee, push yourself up a bit, then drop by bending the knee, as you come down, straighten your leg so forcing the centre-stand down. Best analogy I can give is trying to burst a ball under your foot by first stepping on it, then bouncing on it. It's a smooth action, no jerking required. My old joints won't take any sort of jerking these days.

Make sure you're on level ground, and don't do anything with your left hand other than keep the bars straight.

The right hand may lift a little, but it's really only keeping your balance. Lift too much and it may push the bike over as well as strain your joints.

Confidence that the bike won't fall is one issue. If necessary, get a bike-savvy person to stand the other side to catch the bike if that gives you the confidence to try while you practice.
[edit]Found a posting by TominCA that shows a good video. Clicky[/edit]
This.

Have fun!

When I first got my FJR i couldn't get it on the center stand without all kinds of angst and strained back trying to do the post #7 technique.

After about a month I walked up to the bike and popped it right up. I haven't had much trouble since then.

I have no idea what changed, I guess I just got more confidence or something.

I have no idea what changed, I guess I just got more confidence or something.
...or maybe more specifically, a better feel for the “tipping point” of the bike resulting in more confidence in putting it where it needed to be to get up?

If someone were to search for LMGTFY in the Forum, you will find this has been a somewhat frequently used tool. Unlike some of the other 'help' we have offered people, this one doesn't draw blood as often.
T'wasn't out to be a jerk or pounce or anything - merely wanted to show our admittedly new forumite how a search tool works is all.

Besides, the first couple of times I put my FJR on the center stand (after spending 10+ years on bikes without one), I beat the living shit outta my shin.

Besides, the first couple of times I put my FJR on the center stand (after spending 10+ years on bikes without one), I beat the living shit outta my shin.
Why did you stop? The rest of you could probably use the same treatment.
smile.png

I kid, I kid! I am still impressed with your first post. That one was both helpful and hurtful all at once.

T'wasn't out to be a jerk or pounce or anything - merely wanted to show our admittedly new forumite how a search tool works is all.
I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that you were being a jerk - I had a smile on my face when typing my post but despite best efforts some things get lost in translation. In fact as I was reading the OP’s question I was cringing just thinking about the possible responses before even getting to your post; many would say you let him off easy.
smile.png

What I originally intended to suggest - and unfortunately didn't get around to - is that there's a great bunch of members here!

After my gut operations, I've given up trying to get the bike on the centre stand.

Don't want to risk it, I get a mate to help if I need to.

Did a mod on the tank filler neck to squeeze in a few more litres of petrol, works well.

Will not be able to lift the bike for a few months after my next operation, sigh.

My center stand collapsed... Yamaha won't replace it but the shop said they'd only charge me an hour to take it off. I told em to just leave it alone and I'd do it myself.

BikerGeek99 that was awesome! I rate that as the single best post I ever read on this forum and that is really saying something. My hat is off to you sir! (I have to put it back on now, sunburn on a semi-bald head is unpleasant)
To answer the OP: Get OFF the bike. Grab the handle in the side of the bike made just for this purpose. Step down on the stand until it touches the ground. The bike needs to lean away from you for both sides of the stand to touch. It will feel like it is going to fall away from you so DON'T let the pressure off the foot pushing down on the stand. At this point it is all about the technique developed on every bike that ever had a centerstand.
Well done. I'd like to add, though, that I can do this much more easily if the bike is in neutral.

My Cousin David who rides an '08 GoldWing was telling me how difficult it was for him to learn how to get the bike on its centerstand. His previous bike was a 750 Shadow that weighed less than half of his GoldWing. He watched Youtube videos, he fought with it. He struggled and strained. I must mention that he is a physically powerful man and things usually move when he starts tugging. It took him almost a week, then one day it just happened. He still does not know what he is doing now that he did not do before. I think that is sad.

When I was "challenged" with the GoldWing centerstand deployment, I just laughed. The Hondapotamous practically jumped onto the centerstand for me. In answer to his confusion, I replied that I learned my technique at age 14 on an '84 GoldWing 1200. I weighed 115 pounds then. I refined that technique on the FJR. Of course, I will never live to see 115 pounds again.

The easiest way to get the bike on the center stand is to gain lots of weight. When I first got the FJR I weighed 240 pounds. It was super easy to get the bike on the center stand. I didn't have to think about technique. After losing 80 pounds, it's a bit of effort even using the recommended techniques. Now whenever I put my wife's bike on the center stand, I nearly launch it through the roof.

I managed to get mine on the center stand the other day (new owner) but it took several tries. I guess at 155 pounds I could use a little more weight.