Central Coast Romp & Get together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
The plan is to start at I-5 and 198 near Coalinga, then head west on 198 to 25, North to Hollister, then head over to Hwy 1 and down the coast to Morro Bay for late lunch at a restaurant TBD. After that, it's back east on 41 or however one wants to head home or stay overnight in the area! I'm planning to be at the start point by 0930 and ready to head out by 10:30 at the latest. The route looks to be about 260 miles and lots of fun. Come see the Central Coast mountains before they turn brown and hot.

I realize the starting point isn't easily reachable by most owners in this state, so I won't take it personal if nobody joins us. However, the late starting time and a blast up or down I-5 makes it very do-able by FJR! Man up!

So far I reckon we have:

Myself (two-up, riding sweep)

TwoWheelNut (solo, as usual, running video)

OrangevaleFJR (two-up)

Khunajawdge (leading)

JBad

tcfjr

Robert Van Houtte (Marina)

Rudy Lopez (Paso Robles)

There might be a Harley and Kawasaki joing us fromMarina/Castroville as well, the rider's names are Gene and Kelly

Hwy25.jpg

4_22_map.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Details, details....Sheesh. But seriously, Doh!

4/22 - It was going into the subtitle which I left blank. It's the sinus meds' fault.

And thanks!

How do you get S&T to create maps without the stop numbers? Just use the highlighter?

How do you get S&T to create maps without the stop numbers?  Just use the highlighter?
Yep. But I can't figure out if the program will do anything at all with a highlighted route (like give mileage info). Stupid machines, but smarter than me (which isn't saying much). :dribble:

What time would you be in Hollister? Some of us could come from the North and met you there if the schedule works out.

What time would you be in Hollister? Some of us could come from the North and met you there if the schedule works out.
Hollister will probably be about two hours into the ride, so 12:00 or 12:30, no later than 1:00, unless we decide to take a sidetrip to Pinnacles Nat. Monument on the way up. If so, the Morro Bay thing could be for dinner. The plan is dynamic & evolving at this point.

FWIW, I've made reservations to overnight it in Pismo the 22nd. I figured we might as well make a weekend out of it.

Hmmm, Wifey's outta town that weekend. May be able to get this one in... Make an early day on Friday, ride to Paso and meet you at 198 and 25 on Saturday... The wheels are spinning!

You know you guys are killing me here ????? :(

Watch your speed leaving Hollister heading east, ..... fight the temptation, usually CHP hiding out somewhwere along that stretch.

Also not much gas after Monterey ...gas up, or pay $4 in Big Sur or in Guala !

You know you guys are killing me here ?????  :(
We'll be thinking of you as we see the Pacific for the first time! ;)

Watch your speed leaving Hollister heading east, ..... fight the temptation, usually CHP hiding out somewhwere along that stretch.
I think most of us have radar detectors now, thanks to Skyway. :clap:

Also not much gas after Monterey ...gas up, or pay $4 in Big Sur or in Guala !
Thanks. We'll probably look for a spot in Hollister.

OK Toecutter -

Rudy & I will be at the rendezvous at I 5 and 198 at 10:00 AM. on the 22nd unless all hell breaks loose? :bigeyes: See you then!

Toecutter,

An alternate route North from Coalinga (instead of 25) is Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd. This will drop you back out on 25, just below Pinnacles. Good to fair pavement, no CHP, and little to no traffic. Riding through the narrow valley is bee-yew-tee-ful as well, and quite a bit twistier than 25. After all this rain, it is wise to look out for sand and such in the turns, but it's usually very clean all Winter long. We drive through here all the time to ride the dirt bikes at Clear Creek.

Sounds like a fun ride.

I'll plan on joining up with you guys. Not sure if my wife will be able to make it, but either way, see you at the start point. Thanks for putting the ride together.

Toecutter,  An alternate route North from Coalinga (instead of 25) is Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd.  This will drop you back out on 25, just below Pinnacles.  Good to fair pavement, no CHP, and little to no traffic.  Riding through the narrow valley is bee-yew-tee-ful as well, and quite a bit twistier than 25.  After all this rain, it is wise to look out for sand and such in the turns, but it's usually very clean all Winter long.  We drive through here all the time to ride the dirt bikes at Clear Creek.

Sounds like a fun ride.
That sounds like a great suggestion, but I'd like to pre-run it before dragging others along. Besides, I think it would screw up TWN who may be coming from the west and joining us at 25 and 198.

Presently taking suggestions for a meal stop in Morro Bay (or Avila/Pismo for that matter). Leaning toward Great American Fish Co. in Morro Bay since the coastal portion of 1 kinda ends for a while there and 41 ( :D ) goes west from there, allowing most to get home quickly in most directions (on freeways) if desired. Plus, I have their phone number so we can call ahead for table consideration (they don't take reservations).

Is the Pinnacles sidetrip anything that's worth seeing from the road? I know there are some cool places to hike to, but that's not the M.O. on this adventure. ;)

Also, anybody know of a better meetup location at I-5 & 198 than Harris Ranch Restaurant parking lot?

It looks like we have a group of five to seven bikes so far.

Too bad I have to be in a seminar in Tahoe City on Friday and Saturday or I'd use this ride as the downward leg of my trip to Simi Valley to see my Dad. I can't leave before Sunday.

Too bad I have to be in a seminar in Tahoe City on Friday and Saturday or I'd use this ride as the downward leg of my trip to Simi Valley to see my Dad. I can't leave before Sunday.
I was just about to post on your thread about this. You could hook up with TWN for the trip down to SB. Damned shame. :(