Central Coast Romp & Get together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about yer memories - but mine weren't in the station. I was at an all-volunteer station so we didn't eat at the station normally. We were surrounded by state and federal land, so with the wildland fires came [SIZE=15pt]Fire Camp![/SIZE] Big hunks of meat off the grill. All you could eat. Yeah!

For any Northern riders that are going, I worked on a route that Sherri and I are going to take on Friday. If you want to join us, we are going to leave around 9am from our house (unless things change):

Key: ® = Right Turn

(L) = Left Turn

(FL)= Fork Left

(VL)= Veer Left

(TiT) = Turns into

1) Orangevale to El Dorado Hills<Folsom> (Greenback to Riley to 50 to Latrobe Road) {10 Miles}

2) Folsom to Sutter Creek [ 50 E to ® Latrobe Road, (L) CA-16, ® 49 ] {33.2 Miles}

3) Sutter Creek to Angels Camp [49 south] {31.5 miles}

4) Angels Camp to Sonora [49] {16.7 miles}

5) Sonora, through Mariposa take 49 to 41 {65 miles to Mariposa} to [49 to end]

6) (L) 41

7) ® Bass Lake Road

8) (TiT) Malum Ridge Road

9) ® Minarets Road

10) (L) Road 200

11) (L) Auberry Road

12) (TiT) Powerhouse Number 1 Road

13) (TiT) Auberry Road

14) ® 168 / Auberry Road

15) (FL) 168 / Morgan Canyon Road

16) (VL) 168 / Millerton Road

17) (TiT) 168 / Tollhouse Road

18) (TiT) 168 / Sierra Freeway {Mariposa to Clovis Approx 70 miles}

19) (EXIT R) W Bullard Ave for {6.2 miles}

------------------------------------------------------

20) To the Firehouse!!! by 1700 Hours

1709 W Bullard Ave, Fresno, CA 93711

On the Left, Southwest corner of Bullard and

21) (L) W Bullard Ave from firehouse {1.9 mi}

22) ® CA-41 S entry ramp {23 mi}

23) (TiT) CA-41 {14 mi}

24) (VR) CA-198 W ramp {6.3 mi}

25) (TiT) CA-198 {18 mi}

24505 W Dorris Ave, Coalinga, CA 93210

Harris Ranch

Check in and:

Dinner at 8:30

Total approximate mileage: 289.5 miles

Total if we superslabbed: 206

map pics to come

Guys,

The Coalinga-Los Gatos route was just a suggestion. I'm not sure it would actually take longer, as the route will eliminate the entire southern section of 198 and about 15 miles of 25, dropping us onto 25 about 10 miles below Pinnacles. It's definitely a twistier route than what has been planned, but more scenic w/o a doubt. Friends who have been to the U.K. say it reminds them of that area. I haven't been, so I can't say.... Not that any of the planned route is not scenic, particularly this time of year.

It truly is a beautiful canyon to ride through, but I offer this caveat: It does have some very twisty sections, so attention is required at all times, particularly the North section. Like all mountain and canyon roads this time of year, on occasion it does have some debris washed upon the road. Typically the road is in great condition though, and the pay-off for slowing down is some spectacular scenery.

As far as Ben Hur Road; it's a nice roller coaster type of road, very scenic and lightly traveled. It does have some pretty bad sections, and be careful of the blind and decreasing radius turns. Not too frequent, but they sneak up on you from time to time. It's a fairly remote piece of road, and little traveled, so be careful out there. If you stop in the little town of Raymond, you are about 15 miles from where I work.

Not sure if I'm coming or not yet Toecutter. I have some team cycling planned for the weekend and I'm still awaiting for the final agenda. It sounds like a great ride though, and would be beautiful this time of year. I'd be more than happy to lead the group through Coalinga-Los Gatos Canyon if you guys decide to go that route. We would still meet at the planned spot, but turn off just East of Coalinga on 198 and ride to the valley entrance, then ride North.

MadMike, you gonna commit?
As of now, it doesn't look like it. I've been gone for 3 weekends and my yards are looking bad. Plus, I'm all-in after last weekend. We "elder-types" need recovery time, and my bracketry from Cycle Gadgets is supposed to be in the mail so I can hook up all the electrics after I get back from having some warranty work done (If I can get in!) and I have to be home for Sunday.

It ain't lookin' so very good for me to join you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be more than happy to lead the group through Coalinga-Los Gatos Canyon if you guys decide to go that route.  We would still meet at the planned spot, but turn off just East of Coalinga on 198 and ride to the valley entrance, then ride North.
How 'bout it. Tim? Could you make the Coalinga start point (about 45 miles further) if we go this route? Otherwise, we'll just stick to the original plan, especially if Ronman can't lead us through this way.

Khun, how would the Los Gatos road leg work into the other route you suggested? Now I'm thinking a whole 'nother ride (at a later date), with both of these roads involved. Maybe on more of a south-to-north plan.

Khunajawdge has accepted the leadership role. He knows the roads well and will be carrying a Chatterbox. If anybody else can communicate in this manner, step up and get put near the rear of the pack. I may not even have an intercom. Keith never shipped the Autocom I ordered and has now gone into silence mode. He may have gone riding. :dntknw:

The forecast is for clouds and a high of 68 with a 20% possibility of scattered showers. Sounds like perfect spring riding weather!

Well, I can lead on the 198/25/G13/G14 etc. but, I've only been on Los Gatos Canyon road once, and I clearly remember creek crossings. At this time of year with the recent rains, I wouldn't recommend it, especially on FJR's. There is a Central Cal Coast Off Road group that rides up there frequently at this time of year, I'll see if I can get any intel on the road conditions.

Chatterbox <Doodle Loot> = over and out!

If anybody else can communicate in this manner, step up and get put near the rear of the pack.
The forecast is for clouds and a high of 68 with a 20% possibility of scattered showers. Sounds like perfect spring riding weather!
What happened to your Starcom TC?

I'll have no 2way radio <_<

I'm geting super jazzed!

Ummm, Cal Trans says:

SR 198

[CENTRAL COAST]

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM THE

JCT OF SR 25 TO 4.4 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF SR 25 (MONTEREY CO)

FROM 0830 HRS TO 1430 HRS

MONDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 4/19/06 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO 15 MINUTE DELAYS

SR 25

[CENTRAL COAST]

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM THE

MONTEREY/SAN BENITO CO LINE FROM 0830 HRS TO 1430 HRS THRU

4/19/06 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO 15 MINUTE DELAYS

Not a BIG problem, but the website had this on it this morning!

[49 to end]
6) (L) 41

7) ® Bass Lake Road

8) (TiT) Malum Ridge Road

9) ® Minarets Road

10) (L) Road 200

11) (L) Auberry Road

12) (TiT) Powerhouse Number 1 Road

13) (TiT) Auberry Road

14) ® 168 / Auberry Road

15) (FL) 168 / Morgan Canyon Road

16) (VL) 168 / Millerton Road

17) (TiT) 168 / Tollhouse Road

18) (TiT) 168 / Sierra Freeway      {Mariposa to Clovis Approx 70 miles}

19) (EXIT R) W Bullard Ave for    {6.2 miles}

20) To the Firehouse!!! by 1700 Hours

1709 W Bullard Ave, Fresno, CA 93711
That's a nice ride! I'm jealous. However, it's the one we were on last May 14th when I got stung and almost :dead: (on the flat, straight part of 168 in the orange groves just before the hospital off Tollhouse Ave.) Leave time for stopping at the lake and maybe getting a refreshment in the village.

21)  (L)  W Bullard Ave from firehouse  {1.9 mi}

22)  ®  CA-41 S entry ramp    {23 mi}

23)  (TiT) CA-41      {14 mi}

24)  (VR)  CA-198 W ramp  {6.3 mi}

25)  (TiT) CA-198    {18 mi}

24505 W Dorris Ave, Coalinga, CA 93210

Harris Ranch

Check in and:

Dinner at 8:30

I'll hook you up a quicker way to get to Harris Ranch (if you want) when you guys come for the visit.

What happened to your Starcom TC?
Never bought one, as they have no satisfaction guarantee. I had a Softline but sent it back. I think it was too technically advanced for its own good and they can't keep all the fanciness from interfering with itself. This ride will still be the bomb but I don't like not having passenger communication, most of the time anyway. ;)

How 'bout it. Tim? Could you make the Coalinga start point (about 45 miles further) if we go this route? Otherwise, we'll just stick to the original plan, especially if Ronman can't lead us through this way.
At this point, there is no lodging from SLO to San Miguel. Sumpin's going on and I don't know what. So, I'm thinking about scooting over to the Coalinga area for Friday night, so, yeah, No biggie!

I'll hook you up a quicker way to get to Harris Ranch (if you want) when you guys come for the visit.
Never bought one, as they have no satisfaction guarantee.
The quicker way to Harris Ranch will be appreciate I am sure.

Ahh...Starcom has been good to me. I accidently crushed some of my connector cables, called them and they express shipped them to me so I could meet my departure date for our ride to Colorado. They spent the extra moola and then didn't charge me for the cables. When I asked why they said, "We liked your letter of appreciation so much that we didn't want to charge you." :blink: what? customer service? Weird.

Ahh...Starcom has been good to me. I accidently crushed some of my connector cables, called them and they express shipped them to me so I could meet my departure date for our ride to Colorado. They spent the extra moola and then didn't charge me for the cables. When I asked why they said, "We liked your letter of appreciation so much that we didn't want to charge you." :blink: what? customer service? Weird.
And a great benefit is that Jeff at Sport Bike Effects sells Starcom as well. I'll have to check yours out when we meet again Friday.

Not much to it. It's a box with cables and chords going to it and it has two pot switches (Volume and VOX).

Other than that, you just plug stuff in.

You can certainly see it :)

Tim wrote:

< At this point, there is no lodging from SLO to San Miguel. Sumpin's going on and I don't know what. So, I'm thinking about scooting over to the Coalinga area for Friday night, so, yeah, No biggie! >

One reason why there is so little accomodation available in SLO area is because the University is sponsoring another yearly Open House this weekend! It used to be called "Poly Royale" about 10 years ago and has been a long going tradition of a County Fair at a State University Campus! Poly Royale has been toned down somewhat since the riot in the late 90's. However, this event brings 10's of thousands to see the campus and the central coast and many parents as well as potential students attend at this time. I believe the restaurants in the area will also be heavily impacted! There may be something else going on as well!

I work on campus and am usually involved in Open House, but this year I am signed up for Friday only, so I can escape to lead the ride on Saturday = Woo Hoo!

Not much to it. It's a box with cables and chords going to it and it has two pot switches (Volume and VOX).

Got ahold of Kieth today. He apologized and (at his expense) is sending my unit 2nd day air to the station. I should be busy installing helmet speakers Friday night. Wee, another untested piece of equipment being pressed into immediate service!

Tim wrote:
< At this point, there is no lodging from SLO to San Miguel. Sumpin's going on and I don't know what. So, I'm thinking about scooting over to the Coalinga area for Friday night, so, yeah, No biggie! >

One reason why there is so little accomodation available in SLO area is because the University is sponsoring another yearly Open House this weekend! It used to be called "Poly Royale" about 10 years ago and has been a long going tradition of a County Fair at a State University Campus! Poly Royale has been toned down somewhat since the riot in the late 90's. However, this event brings 10's of thousands to see the campus and the central coast and many parents as well as potential students attend at this time. I believe the restaurants in the area will also be heavily impacted! There may be something else going on as well!

I work on campus and am usually involved in Open House, but this year I am signed up for Friday only, so I can escape to lead the ride on Saturday = Woo Hoo!
Well that'll do it! I did find one room left in Paso at the 1 star Travel Lodge... $285/night! Riiiiiiight! Dun thin so, Lucy! :eek:

Got ahold of Kieth today. He apologized and (at his expense) is sending my unit 2nd day air to the station. I should be busy installing helmet speakers Friday night. Wee, another untested piece of equipment being pressed into immediate service!
Did you get the power chord, or are you going with battery. I had to use the battery for a time and I found it was good for about 3 hours of use with iPod and intercom. What unit are you getting. There is a new unit since I bought mine. I have the 1st generation Starcom

Did you get the power chord, or are you going with battery. I had to use the battery for a time and I found it was good for about 3 hours of use with iPod and intercom. What unit are you getting. There is a new unit since I bought mine. I have the 1st generation Starcom
I'm getting the '06 Autocom Active Smart. I'll be using bike power, in a tankbag or Eve's fanny pack for now. She's good at arranging the music, etc...

Well that'll do it! I did find one room left in Paso at the 1 star Travel Lodge... $285/night! Riiiiiiight! Dun thin so, Lucy!
Yeah, but think of all the fun you could have at Poly Friday night! Mmmm, beer, college chicks and riots...Oh, the memories!

I'll be using bike power, in a tankbag or Eve's fanny pack for now. She's good at arranging the music, etc...
It's funny. I don't even bother with music unless Sherri comes along. It's nice to have a pillion handling all that. I have been tempted to get XM radio...I figure that would be hands free enough for me.