Central Coast Romp & Get together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides, I think it would screw up TWN who may be coming from the west and joining us at 25 and 198.
Presently taking suggestions for a meal stop in Morro Bay (or Avila/Pismo for that matter). Leaning toward Great American Fish Co. in Morro Bay since the coastal portion of 1 kinda ends for a while there and 41 ( :D ) goes west from there, allowing most to get home quickly in most directions (on freeways) if desired. Plus, I have their phone number so we can call ahead for table consideration (they don't take reservations).

Is the Pinnacles sidetrip anything that's worth seeing from the road? I know there are some cool places to hike to, but that's not the M.O. on this adventure. ;)

Also, anybody know of a better meetup location at I-5 & 198 than Harris Ranch Restaurant parking lot?

It looks like we have a group of five to seven bikes so far.
I dunno, Bob. I'll be staying in Paso, so I'll be pretty close by. If you could give me an ETA at Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd and a location (cuz I can't find it on Streets), I might could meetcha there.

Also, Fat Cat Cafe in Aviala (just before the pier) is pretty good. Nice selection and outdoor dining, too. Find them through Availa Chamber of Commerce site. There's a direct link and their menu is up too.

There is a great BBQ joint in Pismo, called Mo's BBQ. I don't think they do reservations and the joint gets pretty packed on weekends, but the food is delish!

What about the cafe in Pozo? Does uniqueness count?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, Bob.  I'll be staying in Paso, so I'll be pretty close by.  If you could give me an ETA at Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd and a location (cuz I can't find it on Streets), I might could meetcha there.
I think I found it. It looks to be a lot closer to the meet point than 25 & 198. On the map there looks like alot of places to make wrong turns. It's up on Pashnit- anybody got a subscription or can post up a location/description? I don't wanna drop another twenty bucks right now. I also don't wanna get lost. Maybe Ronman can lead us through? Ronman, you coming or just playin' armchair quarterback?

Also, Fat Cat Cafe in Aviala (just before the pier) is pretty good.  Nice selection and outdoor dining, too.  Find them through Availa Chamber of Commerce site.  There's a direct link and their menu is up too.
We ate at FatCats Sunday for lunch. It wasn't bad and we should definitely consider it if the weather's real nice for the outdoor dining. Morro Bay was in consideration for any northern clan members who might want to be a bit closer to home afterward. Anyone from the Highland clans planning to attend?

There is a great BBQ joint in Pismo, called Mo's BBQ.  I don't think they do reservations and the joint gets pretty packed on weekends, but the food is delish!
What about the cafe in Pozo?  Does uniqueness count?
The saloon? It's kind of a long way from the coast, even if you take the dirt back road, which I wouldn't recommend on an FJR. Is the BBQ place the one on the strip in Shell Beach? How's the parking? Do they do something besides red meat & chicken? I like seafood when on the coast.

Is the Pinnacles sidetrip anything that's worth seeing from the road? I know there are some cool places to hike to, but that's not the M.O. on this adventure.
It's a nice little side trip and not that far but I'd say it's not worth it given that you've got a long day already. Morro Bay might be closer to dinner than to lunch.

I dunno, Bob.  I'll be staying in Paso, so I'll be pretty close by.  If you could give me an ETA at Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd and a location (cuz I can't find it on Streets), I might could meetcha there.
I think I found it. It looks to be a lot closer to the meet point than 25 & 198. On the map there looks like alot of places to make wrong turns.
What, exactly, are you looking for? I have a subscription to Pashnit and have found the ride report for Los Gatos - Coalinga road. Not sure what you're looking for. Looks like a goat trail. Fun, but slow going.

I'll be gone most of today, but will be able to look into whatever you want when I return.

And now that Sherri checked and we have a clear schedule. We are in. We'll most likely come down Friday night and spend the night in a hotel. Can anyone that knows the area of the ride start tell me about a nearby hotel?

Is the BBQ place the one on the strip in Shell Beach? How's the parking? Do they do something besides red meat & chicken? I like seafood when on the coast.
Nope, animal flesh only joint, I'm afraid. Good parking all over town, though. Long range forecast is for showers on Friday. Hopefully, good on Saturday. Let's go for sun and ocean!

Nada for me, this time. I'll be in Rosamond for Streetmasters Workshop.

Y'll play nice and have a dry safe ride.

And now that Sherri checked and we have a clear schedule. We are in. We'll most likely come down Friday night and spend the night in a hotel. Can anyone that knows the area of the ride start tell me about a nearby hotel?
Cool! And the official FJR Forum photojournalism team to boot!

Eve always asks if there are going to be any other wives going. She worries about the 'dog pack' testosterone thing rearing its ugly head. I told her I'd ride sweep to alleviate her concerns.

"Honey, we can't be going too fast. See, the people in front of us aren't crashing yet".

Harris Ranch is a nice place to stay unless cost is a huge concern. They have a renowned restaurant, and you can pre-select your filet steer or veal dinner calf across the street. ;)

I'm at work the night before or we'd put you guys up ourselves.

As for the Coalinga-Los Gatos thing, we were looking for the start point and road report. It sounds like it may be a bit time consuming so it's probably best to stick to the original plan for this ride.

You guys gonna drag any other Northerners along? MadMike, you gonna commit?

It's a nice little side trip and not that far but I'd say it's not worth it given that you've got a long day already. Morro Bay might be closer to dinner than to lunch.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Some people may want to get headed home early Saturday.

Y'all might wanna bring along a Power Bar or plan to grab something at the Hollister fuel stop, as lunch will probably be closer to 3 o'clock. We'll bring some M&M's. :D

Eve always asks if there are going to be any other wives going. She worries about the 'dog pack' testosterone thing rearing its ugly head. I told her I'd ride sweep to alleviate her concerns.
Eve can ride with Grandpa here, if you young-un types wanna skidaddle up the road. Just don't get too far ahead of me or I may get lost! [SIZE=8pt](Heh, heh!)[/SIZE] ;) :D

Eve can ride with Grandpa here, if you young-un types wanna skidaddle up the road. Just don't get too far ahead of me or I may get lost! [SIZE=8pt](Heh, heh!)[/SIZE] ;) :D
That might be a good option, especially since I got zipper locks on her fugly kevlar suit o' armor. ;) :D And the orthodontist said maybe two more weeks still, so she's pretty well chained up all around (however, I don't mind a little romp through the danger zone myself once in a while) :assasin:

Actually, I need someone to step up and (sanely) lead this ride, and since you have Hwy 25 experience...? You bringin' the videocam?

I put in a request for some ggod weather. Hmm, I guess I'll leave that last typo alone, and we'll just see what's in store. :D

We just made our reservations at Harris Ranch for the 21st. I'm taking Friday off work and we're going to take the 49 route down, and I just have to try Ben Hur Road! I mean, I've never neen on BEN HUR road. Now tell me if I should really just stay on 49 longer than that. Charleton Heston baby...you can't remake "The Ten Commandments" or "Ben Hur"!!!

It just seems that 49 goes East after BEN HUR road and that it's take an awful long time, not to mention going East usually means climbing higher...does 49 get into snow down there?

Not to mention, there's a road called BEN HUR and that's just too cool.

Let me know what you think!

Don't know about the BEN HUR section, but 49 from Sonora to Mariposa is one of my favorites. They don't call it "The Little Dragon" for nothin'.

Maybe you guys can swing by the station on your way if you come through Fresno. I'll point out the quick way to Harris Ranch. You guys stayin' on the coast Saturday night or headin' home?

You know, I was thinking of heading home, but a night on, or near the coast may be required. Why, you know of another place :D

I'd love to swing by the firestation! Where is it? Can I honk the horn of the Engine??? ha ha, just kidding. But really. ;)

49 Mariposa to Sonora...thanks for reminding me! Phew!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bob, what's your eta at 25 and 198?  Wanna make sure I have time for a CJ gut bomb in the AM. :dribble:
I'm hoping to get underway at 1000 hrs, maybe hit a gas stop in Coalinga if people need some (Chevron) so probably 1100 at the latest. We'll wait for you until then anyway.

Why, you know of another place?
We got a room at the Rose Garden Inn in Pismo for 69.00. But I'm sure there are some nice places as well. ;)

I'd love to swing by the firestation! Where is it? Can I honk the horn of the Engine??? ha ha, just kidding. But really.
Got GPS? 1709 W. Bullard in Fresno. 41 south to the Bullard exit, then west almost two miles. Visiting hours are 1800 - 2000 hrs. and Friday night is pizza. I can hook you up with a 'sit' at the least, unless we're out helping someone who's having a really bad day. :(

Got GPS? 1709 W. Bullard in Fresno. 41 south to the Bullard exit, then west almost two miles. Visiting hours are 1800 - 2000 hrs. and Friday night is pizza. I can hook you up with a 'sit' at the least, unless we're out helping someone who's having a really bad day. :(
No GPS, but I bet I can find it. I have dinner reservations at the ranch at 8:30 that night, but thanks for the invite! We'll just drop by and watch you eat ;)

I can't believe I'm passing up an opportunity to eat at a fire station! I mean, I was born in '66 so I am of the age to remember, by heart, the theme music to EMERGENCY! I thought that show was so cool when I was a kid.

No GPS, but I bet I can find it. I have dinner reservations at the ranch at 8:30 that night, but thanks for the invite! We'll just drop by and watch you eat  ;)
I can't believe I'm passing up an opportunity to eat at a fire station! I mean, I was born in '66 so I am of the age to remember, by heart, the theme music to EMERGENCY! I thought that show was so cool when I was a kid.
It's on the southwest corner of Bullard & Channing. 1700 hrs. will be okay if you want to get to Coalinga earlier (in case you need a pre-happy hour nap ;) )

mapimage.gif

Now THAT would really bring back the memories: eating in a fire station. Did that several times as a kid, and the first time I ever saw a color TV or one with remote control (remember the RCA clicker remotes?) was at my Dad's station (72s on Owensmouth in Canoga Park). In fact, I remember helping him in the kitchen one time when he had cook duties -- putting meat through the hand grinder.

Yeah, I'm getting old! :)