Clutch engagement/disengagement RPM on an AE/AS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Clutch engagement/disengagement RPM on an AE/AS

I am looking to experiment with the RPM that the clutch engages and disengages on my (UK) FJR1300AS. I have tried to get a workshop manual, but according to my dealer it is not yet available. The dealer apparently has a set of CDs that cover all Yamahas, but he is not allowed to sell these over the counter (and I don't know him well enough for an under-the-counter deal).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the RPM can be set by entering a diagnostic mode, entry is by pressing the hand gear selector button whilst turning on the ignition and holding it there for 8(?) seconds. This diagnostic mode would then enable you to increase/decrease the clutch engagement RPM in 100 RPM increments.

I've tried entering this diagnostic mode, but haven't succeeded with the technique I've described.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is my procedure wrong? (well, it must be). Any help would be appreciated.

bump...I read how to do this on this forum...someone has the answer
That's what I thought. I was beginning to think my mind was playing (even more) tricks.

I did a search, didn't find it.

Anyone remember? I really want to experiment.

Its here somewhere, I remember seeing it. There was something about having to jump some of the terminals to make it go into the adjustment mode.

You can make a noticeable difference on the disengagement simply by turning the idle up and down.

Roy

I posted that somewhere -- but I did reset back to factory. I'll look for it.

EDIT: it's here: Clicky

WARNING!!!

Adjusting the engagement lower (even one step) changes the engagement point to about 1650 RPM. from factory. That causes issues when the bike's in first gear and the engine is cold.

Specifically RPM CAN be high enough to engage the clutch with ZERO throttle input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted that somewhere -- but I did reset back to factory. I'll look for it.
EDIT: it's here: Clicky

WARNING!!!

Adjusting the engagement lower (even one step) changes the engagement point to about 1650 RPM. from factory. That causes issues when the bike's in first gear and the engine is cold.

Specifically RPM CAN be high enough to engage the clutch with ZERO throttle input.
Thanks for that. I did try that, but failed to get into the "Sh__61" mode, it didn't react with the "hold hand shift select button whilst turning on key, hold for 8 seconds" bit.

... There was something about having to jump some of the terminals to make it go into the adjustment mode. ...Roy
Is this the case? Your original post doesn't show this, but it would make sense. I still can't get access to a workshop manual.

... You can make a noticeable difference on the disengagement simply by turning the idle up and down.Roy
My biggest reason for wanting to change its engagement RPM is the amount of clutch slip I am using during some very slow traffic movement in my city commute. I don't think it does the clutch any good and I don't feel very cool travelling at walking pace with the engine at 1800-2000 RPM when it should be clutch engaged at tickover. (I retire next August, but there are many commutes to do before then.)

Warnings about clutch non-disengagement at tickover are noted.