Compression damping screw not clicking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBo

Reaction score
I have been trying to get my suspension set up. I recently noticed that the right fork compression damping screw doesn't positively click. I can barely discern it by feel with a screw driver and can't hear it at all. The left screw positively clicks both by feel and audibly.

I am going to be calling the dealer tomorrow to see what they had to say but wanted additional opinions or to know if it's not a big deal. Yes she isn't handling well at all. Wants to push out of corners, doesn't like going left so much as right.

If it is under warranty take it back. Suspension settings would be one of the first things I would completely go through on a new one. I doubt many of the dealers would know how to set them up to be even neutral.

If you do take it back to your dealer for service, before you take it home you should verify that the fork does click but also that the number of clicks are the same between the two legs.

Give a squirt of WD-40 in the adjuster, sometimes the ball check or whatever it is that clicks gets lazy.

Worked on my rear shock.

Thanks for all the help. I got it to the dealer and they looked at it and called Yamaha. They took it apart and the ball check was not operating properly. They said the valve was working but the ball check was allowing erroneous inputs so basically my front compression was not equal. They are getting a replacement and hopefully the ill feelings in the front end will cease.

That I guess is the good news. The bad news is they say it will take 3-7 days to get the part in and install it. Guess I'm out my brand new bike for a week.