Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR was designed from the ground up as a sport tourer and is now in its seventh year of refinement. As mentioned , Yamaha has listened and used the feedback to continue to improve the FJR. The C14 is basically a ZX14 modified to be a sport tourer and as a result inherited many short comings. A slightly more powerful and smoother engine on the C14, that's it. Here is an excellent unbiased resource: https://www.motorcycle-usa.com/272/543/Moto...Comparison.aspx
I'm not sure how you can say that it is just a ZX modified. Only the engine is the same, and even it has major changes to it. Nothing else about the bikes are shared - frame, shaft drive versus chain etc. It's like saying that a Pontiac G8 is nothing more than a Corvette modified to for sedan duty because their engines of the same basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me say i have quite awhile to decide but i just keep going over the pro's and con's.I recently rode a FJR and a Concour 1400 in Arkansas and found good and bad about each, go figure.

Anyway I found the Fjr to be much cooler and the windscreen worked better, also the ability to reduce the seat height to 29" without lowering the bike is a plus. However I found it to be buzzy, with considerable vibration, the trans seemed kind of clunky and It didn't seem to have the torque of the c14. It did seem smaller and it was easier to mount and dismount as the bags on the c14 are huge and stick up pretty high.

I liked both bikes and would probably be happy with either but i keep going back and forth. If the Fjr were not so buzzy and if the vibration were gone and the trans didn't sound so clunky it would be nearly perfect.

But if the c14 didn't put off so much heat and if i lowerd it and changed the seat ( this would only get it to 30") and windscreen it would also be almost perfect.
I've never felt my FJR was buzzy or having any vibrations. Just never has been an issue for me with the bike.

I think the main arguments for the FJR over the C14 are:

1. The C14 is still a first gen iteration with only two years under its belt. The FJR has gone through many refinenments you can definantly hang your hat on.

2. The FJR handles better since its a bit smalller bike. And the FJR bags are lower which helps too.

3. More farkles for the FJR since its been around a long time.

4. A huge user base with tons-o-ideas on how to farkle up the bike.

5. FJR does not have that huge behemoth muffler that the C14 has (FUGLY!)

6. FJR looks better - the C14 is a bigger looking bike from the front.

Good Luck Mate!

Scott

I liked both bikes and would probably be happy with either but i keep going back and forth. If the Fjr were not so buzzy and if the vibration were gone and the trans didn't sound so clunky it would be nearly perfect. But if the c14 didn't put off so much heat and if i lowerd it and changed the seat ( this would only get it to 30") and windscreen it would also be almost perfect.
vibration in the bars? cause if that is the case i switched to heli, and it just about gone. :)

Try maintenance. Changing oil on the FJR is a 10 minute job. It takes longer to let the oil drain than to remove and replace the bolt and filter. Spark plug changes on the C14 are EVERY 7500 miles and changing them is a MAJOR production and probably 300-400.00 at the dealer. There is a thread on this website detailing the work necessary. It took one of our more experienced members 4 hours to do his. The FJR is much, much easier.

Best of luck on your decision.

Anyone that demands "Convince me" is very suspect and troll like.

It's a battle that can't be won and is not worth entering into.

*We all must make our own decisions based on what is known.

I've never felt my FJR was buzzy or having any vibrations. Just never has been an issue for me with the bike.
Nor me. I don't get the "buzzy thing" at all. I had a VStar1100 and that was buzzy. I also had or have a Valkyrie, VTX1800 and Blackbird all of which are not buzzy so if the FJR was buzzy I think I would notice. :unsure:

simple: Buy the FJR first. If you hate it sell it you wont lose a dime. provided you didn't pay to much to begin with.

Then go buy the other one.

If you go to the C14 board, you read about many people's gauge needles melting. Literally melting! And of course there's warped brake rotors, stuck brake calipers, and a host of other problems. The only possible flaw with the FJR is an ignition failure that can be hotwired around, and I'm not even sure if it's still an issue with the 2008+. Oh, and the lurching. My bike lurches in low-load situations, such as going downhill or following slow-moving cars. Happens regardless of RPM. But whatever -- it's minor.

I posted a comparison almost a month ago. Basically the only advantages of the C14, in my mind, are better paint, a windshield that doesn't shake in the wind, light clutch pull, centerstand is easier to use, and the brand-new one I rode leaned over much more smoothly and easily than the FJR. The latter is probably a tire thing.

OK my wife doesn't listen to me, my three kids definitely do not listen to me & no doubt you will not listen to me! so go and buy the C14..... ;)

By the way I think my FJR is the very best bike I have ever had the privilege to own....... :love: and yes I also own a Kawasaki but a Meanstreak (easy to change the plugs on)

I think in 4 or 5 years IF Kawasaki solves some of the problems with the bike, the C-14 would be a decent bike to own.

But now? No way. The FJR is just so much more refined now. It is really a no brainer, no matter what the poor smucks on the C14 forum tell you , get the FJR.

KM

Had a 96 Concours, loved it, put over 100K on it, and waited for years for them to Refresh and replace what I thought was a near perfect Sport Tourer. That said, I wouldnt give the New Concours a first look, despite its massive powerplant. It is just too big, too goofy looking, and great for the hayabusa crowd looking to go to a sport tourer. Yeck........... :dribble:

Cant say anything more than the other guys have about why the FJR is a better choice, but it is up to you man. GO ride the bike, sit on it, listen to its motor, how the bike works, how the systems flow and sync up under you. Which bike do you connect with? THAT is what matters. No ones opinion can sway or create that. Then once you commit, mod it, or as they say here farkle it to make it yours & go rub the edges off your tires.......... So I'm saying, go convince yourself............

Ditto most everyone who has replied on this issue, buy the FJR! I also spent several months reading everything I could get my hands on or find on-line. To quote my old dad who seems to get wiser to me as the years pass, never buy a first year model...maybe even wait past the 2nd year.

Hate the 14's exhaust, the thigh blistering heat, extreme inaccessibility of engine for service, etc., etc. And the FJR came with luggage liners along with multiple years of production for refinements! Five months and no regrets.

First let me say i have quite awhile to decide but i just keep going over the pro's and con's.I recently rode a FJR and a Concour 1400 in Arkansas and found good and bad about each, go figure.

Anyway I found the Fjr to be much cooler and the windscreen worked better, also the ability to reduce the seat height to 29" without lowering the bike is a plus. However I found it to be buzzy, with considerable vibration, the trans seemed kind of clunky and It didn't seem to have the torque of the c14. It did seem smaller and it was easier to mount and dismount as the bags on the c14 are huge and stick up pretty high.

I liked both bikes and would probably be happy with either but i keep going back and forth. If the Fjr were not so buzzy and if the vibration were gone and the trans didn't sound so clunky it would be nearly perfect.

But if the c14 didn't put off so much heat and if i lowerd it and changed the seat ( this would only get it to 30") and windscreen it would also be almost perfect.
I know you're gonna say "...I can change that..." but if this doesn't convince you to choose the FJR, you're just not thinkin' straight...

fugly.jpg

A little off topic, but I have the Corbin smuggler on my FJR. The lines fit the bike and compliment the overall visual apeal.

The smuggler for the C14 looks like sombody bolted down gd toaster oven behind the regular seat, complete with the "ribbed for her pleasure" look. It is awful looking, my opnion.

Plus I think the C14 needs a bigger muffler!

not.....

IMHO it really boils down to the type of ridin that you prefer. If ridin on the" SLAB" is your thing or a lot of straight line stuff then the C-14 might work best for you. As for me I would rather have a root canal done then ride the "SLAB". But thats just me. Most of the ridin I prefer are the "TWISTIES" , the nimbleness of the FJR, the torque comin out of a corner, and the well planted feel in any acceleration situation that you may find yourself in, are just some of the many reasons I like my bike. I've not had the good fortune of ridin down a set of mountain roads with one of them, but I bet they'ed be hard pressed to keep up. Hey, buy what you want. It all depends on how you ride. Dave