Current top of the line Auxiliary light set up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish the Clearwaters came in both a spot and driving configuration like the Soltaks. Then I would think about mounting two sets, like the photo on their website shows.

I just wish the Clearwaters came in both a spot and driving configuration like the Soltaks. Then I would think about mounting two sets, like the photo on their website shows.
Did you check out the LED lights being sold on AdvRider I linked to in my post? They have two versions, a spot beam and a flood beam and the price is around 1/3 of the Clearwater lights. I am not knocking the Clearwater lights, they are very nice, but for the price difference you can get two sets of these - I'm just sayin...

The guy now sells two configurations as well, one full power and the other configuration is with a 3 way dimmer option.

I'm not affiliated with this company, but am a very satisfied customer. Btw, the right angle brackets fit perfectly on the front fender bolt, so you get fork mounted lights.

LED Auxiliary Lights
Website for placing orders

I've been running these LED Lights on my Dirt Ninja for several thousand miles in all kinds of conditions and have been very pleased with the performance. These lights are extremely bright, you can't look directly at them when on. I don't recommend using them with traffic at night, during the day, people will get out of your way.

Description:

Spot Beam 10watt / .85amp ~450 lumens total from 3 leds, 12v

Flood Beam 24 watt / 2amp ~1500 lumens total from 9leds (3 groups of 3), 12v

Aluminum housing

o-ring sealed

one meter leads

waterproof connectors -male and female

two mounting options - flat mount (stainless) or 7/8s bar mount(aluminum).

plastic lens

available in black or black

Please see this website for purchase information.

Contact me for shipping outside continental US sandjoh at gmail.com

6f1b1383.jpg

More pics on their website.

Here is a link to the night-time shots of the spot + flood, stop only and flood only:

Night-time shots

1 10W LED Spot beam and 1 24W LED Flood beam

5a348f05.jpg

10W LED Spot beam

ac6acd95.jpg

24W LED Flood beam

43d7e968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone simplify the amount of juice they draw by telling me your Datel reading? My PIAA 910's with 35W bulbs take my Datel from 14.1 down to 13.5. I'm sure the LED and HID will draw less, just wondering how much less. I'd love to be running Aux Lights and be at 13.8. That would give me plenty of room to use my heated gear.

Thanks,

Dave

PS. I have an Electro Stator in already and I've had 21K miles of good luck with it. :)

Suppose you could do that, or mount Kristas AND Solteks together, kind of "best of both worlds" when you're really alone in the dark. I was riding last month with a friend who has the same setup I do on a very dark, empty two-lane forested mountain road with "Watch for Deer" signs every half mile. I pulled up next to him across the center line every chance I got and we both hit high beam/LEDs full bright. Now THAT was mountain riding Nirvana! Nowhere for a deer to hide! Or a chipmunk. Or a mole.

Still, it's more than you'd really want to do; there's no need. We just did it cuz we could.

Did you check out the LED lights being sold on AdvRider I linked to in my post?
I did

They have two versions, a spot beam and a flood beam and the price is around 1/3 of the Clearwater lights.
I found three versions and all were marked "This item is out of stock"
Apparently he got swamped with orders and is sourcing more stock, at least that's what one of my buddies was told when he tried to order a set last week.

There are two different varieties available. There are the spot pattern in a 12 degree beam and a flood lamp with a 36 degree beam.

https://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

I had the lights in the spot beam pattern. They didn't throw light everywhere...it was mostly focused on the road in front of me. And that light was unusable in traffic. I could be wrong, but I cannot imagine any 30+ watt HID aux. lamps being usable in traffic.

Of course, you'll get no argument for me that a pair of Solteks are brighter than the Krista's. Of that there is no doubt. However, the point I was trying to make was that we often have to ride in traffic and being able to dim the lights rapidly and have them go back to full tilt instantly more than outweighs any difference in lumens between the two.

Again, I understand your perspective...but I just don't believe that the value of the inherent advantages of LED's over HID's can be overstated. Damn...this is starting to sound like an oil thread. :laughingsmiley: :hyper:

The reason your Trailtechs were unuseable as that they are flood lights intended solely for offroad use - they just spray light everywhere.

The reason that the Kristas (rated at 2100 Lumens) are 95% of the Trailtechs is that;

- you are comparing to a half-power (16 watt) HID throwing a rated 1850 lumens of light

- the Kristas SHOULD be brighter than the Trailtechs if we're comparing Lumens, but suffer to some degree from the lack of a proper reflector

- the ones we've discussed before are all true HIDs rated at 35 watts each - each generating 3200 Lumens, more than twice as much light as the Halogen bulbs they are supplementing (1100 Lumens in low beam, 1500 in high).

2nd gen bikes have more than enough power to run any of the lights discussed in this thread. 1st Gen could have issues if you run heated gear and other high wattage hardware.

They're all good, mind you - just mentioning this to put it all into perspective.

Can someone simplify the amount of juice they draw by telling me your Datel reading? My PIAA 910's with 35W bulbs take my Datel from 14.1 down to 13.5. I'm sure the LED and HID will draw less, just wondering how much less. I'd love to be running Aux Lights and be at 13.8. That would give me plenty of room to use my heated gear.

Thanks,

Dave

PS. I have an Electro Stator in already and I've had 21K miles of good luck with it. :)
it's the differential of the voltmeter reading from off to on that answers the question...the wiring and connections and battery age and Gen I vs Gen II differing stator output are all factors.

I run both Clearwater Kristas and Glendas...with both on brightest adjust, but low beam, the voltmeter drops .3 volts from on and off...usually, I run the Glendas full and the Kristas 1/4 with .2 volt drop

hope that helps

4597002461_6f952f87c3_b.jpg

That's just about where mine is. With the Glenda's on full tilt (low beam) I read 13.9 on the Datel (I have lots of other accessories using a little bit of power each). If I switch the Krista's on to 1/4, it drops to 13.8. At full tilt on both (low beam) it drops to 13.6. The high beam will drop it to 13.5.

As a completely unrelated aside...I'd pay real money for a 1000 watt capacity from the FJR like is available on the K1300GT.

Thanks,

Dave

it's the differential of the voltmeter reading from off to on that answers the question...the wiring and connections and battery age and Gen I vs Gen II differing stator output are all factors.

I run both Clearwater Kristas and Glendas...with both on brightest adjust, but low beam, the voltmeter drops .3 volts from on and off...usually, I run the Glendas full and the Kristas 1/4 with .2 volt drop

hope that helps

4597002461_6f952f87c3_b.jpg

Dang, a .3 drop would be awesome. I'm sure these Krista's would put out more light then my PIAA 910 do. Before I put in a HID kit, my Aux. lights rocked. Now they kind of disappear because of how bright my HID lights are.

Dave

Thanks for the information.

Dang, a .3 drop would be awesome. I'm sure these Krista's would put out more light then my PIAA 910 do. Before I put in a HID kit, my Aux. lights rocked. Now they kind of disappear because of how bright my HID lights are.

Dave

Thanks for the information.
Revive the 910's, convert them to 35w 4300K HID. I did it to a set they work great.

Before I put in a HID kit, my Aux. lights rocked. Now they kind of disappear because of how bright my HID lights are.

Dave
I noticed the same thing with my PHID's when I converted the headlights to HID's. The PHIDs were still noticeable, but they certainly didn't have the WOW affect like they did before I changed to HID's in the headlights. That is part of the reason I feel the need for eye melting auxiliary lights. It is also why I am leaning more in the direction of spot lights to get more light further down range. I think with the HIDs the light close to the bike is already pretty darn good.

I haven't posted in this thread because I've stated in other aux light threads what I think of my Hella MicroD's.

But your last post reminded me of something else. If I thumb the high beam on the FJR while the Hella's are blazing, the only noticable difference, and it's very slight, is the in the periphery of the light output. So just the shoulders of the road. The Hella's completely overwhelm the stock high beam.

Ya, theirs higher end flamethrowers out there for sure. But for the size, weight (not a small consideration.. theirs already been a few here with busted front subframes running Solteks) and price, their a really good choice IMO. The only negative I can come up with is the size of ballasts - their some big mummachuckas.

Ask Rob about coming into Toas down the mountains near midnight when my Hella's lit up, what I believe were 3 bears (probably deer or antelope) WAY up the road. They paid for themselves that night.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Ask Rob about coming into Toas down the mountains near midnight when my Hella's lit up, what I believe were 3 bears (probably deer or antelope) WAY up the road. They paid for themselves that night.
That reminds me...I left Toas early Sunday a.m. to discover my left 4GHID had gone out. When I got home found a wire pulled itself out of its connector, probably from the dirt roads we were on that weekend :detective2: .

Anyway, bombing down the canyon between Toas and Santa Fe with only 1 4GHID was no problem at all, still way more than enough light disintegrate anything in Bernalillo county!

I think the 4Gs combine the best of all worlds...phenomenal downrange punch, compact size, built in ignighters, compact ballasts.

Did you check out the LED lights being sold on AdvRider I linked to in my post?
I did

They have two versions, a spot beam and a flood beam and the price is around 1/3 of the Clearwater lights.
I found three versions and all were marked "This item is out of stock"
Apparently he got swamped with orders and is sourcing more stock, at least that's what one of my buddies was told when he tried to order a set last week.

Got mine. He is posting that he will get more in two weeks. I got two 24w 3way dimmer, 1500 lumens each. Plenty of light for me. BTW Clearwater Kristas are 2100ea...love to have the but expensive to these.

FJR1300LEDs2.jpg

FJR1300LEDs.jpg

Got mine. He is posting that he will get more in two weeks. I got two 24w 3way dimmer, 1500 lumens each. Plenty of light for me. BTW Clearwater Kristas are 2100ea...love to have the but expensive to these.
the forum price for Kristas complete is $600. That would include installation if you bring the bike to their shop in CA.

the Glendas are $400