Current top of the line Auxiliary light set up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which brackets do you have your Solteks on? If they are the brackets that Skyway made, then the light is in a much better position to run the wires through the vents, versus if you were using the brackets Alex makes.

Which brackets do you have your Solteks on? If they are the brackets that Skyway made, then the light is in a much better position to run the wires through the vents, versus if you were using the brackets Alex makes.
I don't think so. From the Alex brackets it's a straight shot down to the vent and into the fairing. Just as easy and clean as the skyway/garauld/other brackets.

I guess it depends on how the wires exit the light as well. ON my lights, the wire comes straight out of the back, so I would have to bend it at about 180 degrees, back around to the front of the bike, and then bend it again to go through the vent. The wire is certainly flexible enough to do this, but I prefer to not add any more stress on the wires if there is a way to avoid it.

Yes, I've got the original Skyway brackets.

Read this old thread from page 1 to 5 .So now 9/29/2011 what is a modest priced set of fork mounted lights led or? that would help on the back roads at night. So much info overload hows a guy to pick the Best ?Lots of deer,coons,skunks,opposm and sometimes a litter bugs cans and trash on the road I live on. :blink:

Check out the group buy for Clearwater Lights that ends 9/30. Very nice quality, bright LEDs that can be dimmed, but switch to full-bright when you use high beams or your horn. Group buy applies t Krista or Glenda lights with mounting brackets and control relays complete.

clearwatercrop-2.jpg

I've been using these lights ($65.75 apiece) since early in the year and have really enjoyed them. 3 LED's per unit, super bright, and weather tested, repeatedly. I'm very pleased with them and their low price although the bracket is somewhat fiddly...just use Loctite when final adjustments are made. They do an excellent job of providing conspicuity while also doing a good job of throwing additional light to the front and sides. I use them as fender lights, but they could easily serve as aux lights mounted higher...or they also have a bigger brother available.

IMG_1229-e1304098832558.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using these lights ($65.75 apiece) since early in the year and have really enjoyed them. 3 LED's per unit, super bright, and weather tested, repeatedly. I'm very pleased with them and their low price although the bracket is somewhat fiddly...just use Loctite when final adjustments are made. They do an excellent job of providing conspicuity while also doing a good job of throwing additional light to the front and sides. I use them as fender lights, but they could easily serve as aux lights mounted higher...or they also have a bigger brother available.
As can be seen, retail pricing has come down . . . a lot. Now that lights are in common manufacture, the premium for being the 'first to market' is likely no longer justifiable.

These seem not to have a dimmer, but the dimmer on a Clearwater probably costs less than $5 in parts and the lights in the link are at least as bright as the competition (they also offer a 4- led version for about $13 more).

However, being only as bright as an H4 and functioning essentially as flood lights they are still limited to being used for daytime conspicuity lights or perhaps for use a fill lighting in rural rides.

However, being only as bright as an H4 and functioning essentially as flood lights they are still limited to being used for daytime conspicuity lights or perhaps for use a fill lighting in rural rides.
I could've really used them last Wed night leading 2 newbies and Moosehead over the Ohio Dragon WAY after dark. The Hella's were good going straight, but, that road, isn't, well, straight. At all. Quite often I was riding on faith. A set of floods would've been very welcome.

I could've really used them last Wed night leading 2 newbies and Moosehead over the Ohio Dragon WAY after dark. The Hella's were good going straight, but, that road, isn't, well, straight. At all. Quite often I was riding on faith. A set of floods would've been very welcome.
I think the LEDs I have "look" brighter than the H4...well, at least the nature of the LEDs makes them seem that way (got similar comments about that at EOM as well). They did do an excellent job of illuminating the road/forest when leaving EOM at 4:30am...felt quite a bit more comfortable with my pace. I'm considering getting their 4 LED system for normal aux lighting off mirror mounts and wiring in a dimmer. I don't run a dimmer on the fender lights since their main purpose is for conspicuity.

Thats what I am looking for cheap enough for a tight budget and wont break the bank. Burnspot missed meeting you at the EOM was staying at the behind the pool campground.Did you use the fender mount holes to screw the light tab to? Bram I'm sure a dimmer could be added thanks this was worth asking. :)

Thats what I am looking for cheap enough for a tight budget and wont break the bank. Burnspot missed meeting you at the EOM was staying at the behind the pool campground.Did you use the fender mount holes to screw the light tab to? Bram I'm sure a dimmer could be added thanks this was worth asking. :)
I did nothing special...just used the stock fender bolts, making sure the little plastic washer was between the light's mount and fender. Everything, and I mean everything, is well-Loctited (blue). If you don't Loctite everything, you'll find your fender lights will be illuminating the side of the road really well at some point. Mine have now held steady for something like 8 months now.

Now I remember the web site where the FJR decals came from. Ordered 2 of the 3 leds. Thanks,case closed.

IMG_1229-e1304098832558.jpg

these look promising... and i'll get to sleep in my own bed. think i need to try them

Got Eastern Beaver harness and spst switch,can I also wire in a dimmer? If so how ? :blink:
You can buy a dimmer from the competition Clicky it works well with these lights. This is what I run.

I have the one without the high beam bypass. It used to be $25, email ADV Monster to check if they still have it.

You can find the same wireless dimmer in the web without the waterproofing that ADV Monster provides.

Got Eastern Beaver harness and spst switch,can I also wire in a dimmer? If so how ? :blink:
You can buy a dimmer from the competition Clicky it works well with these lights. This is what I run.

I have the one without the high beam bypass. It used to be $25, email ADV Monster to check if they still have it.

You can find the same wireless dimmer in the web without the waterproofing that ADV Monster provides.

Thanks got two knob type 0 to 100% dimmers off ebay 13 bucks for both. Going to use one for the bike and one on the atv. It has 2 in and 2 out wires need to know how to hook them into the harness,want to use one dimmer for both lights. Do you think this is possible with the on/off led switch hooked up also. Looked at the dimmer on adv and it is $45 now,the ones I bought are not water proof but thinking of mounting under the passenger seat out of direct weather,or inside the glovebox door with a rubber seal. Wiring is not my cup of tea for sure. Going to mount the lights on the fender mounts and use at night so dont want to blind the cagers. Wish I had seen the dimable leds on adv before I got these from the other vendor.

:dribble: