Custom machined Audiovox CCS-100 mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
This week I was able to score a great deal on an Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control for the FJR. Even though I already have a throttlemeister, the idea of maintaining speed while on the move for $27.99 + install time, was just too good to pass up. After searching around and looking at various installations on different FJR's, I quickly realized that mounting the control box would have to be addressed. I wanted the unit to be mounted in an ergonomic location near to my left hand, that would not require much movement to access the controls. I found that mounting above the bar, rather than below was my favorite choice.

As an added bonus, I just installed the 2nd generation V-strom handguards, so I was able to take dimensions that would allow the CC mount not to interfere with that setup. I decided to take advantage of the unused 10mm mirror mount hole on the left handlebar. I have also included in my design the provision to add a ram ball mount later on if I choose too, even though right now I do not have one.

Wanting an install that would look as clean and sanitary as possible, here's what I came up with. I cut it out of billet 6061 aluminum and will be getting it anodized black the next time I ship something out for plating. The control pad shown is not yet sealed in the back, but in it's final resting place will be recessed in the mount for a finished look. For those who have already installed the unit will appreciate what I did inside the mount in order to route the wiring harness out of the bottom, so it is completely hidden from view. The mounting bolt is not shown, as it's in transit to my shop, so the mount is resting on the hand guard, but close enough for effect.

Let's Cruise! :clap:

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, cool. So, are you making some to share or just boasting about the one you have? :D
+1!

Very nice piece...put me down for one. Glad to see you've already made provisions for my RAM mount. :D :D

Skyway - if you are making these for general consumption... put down for one too! BerryBerry nice..

Yeah, cool. So, are you making some to share or just boasting about the one you have? :D
Making some up is not a problem. It would have to involve at least 20 or more players to get it in the sub $50.00 price range (just a guess at this point).

Adding things like this to my bike is purely a personal satisfaction thing, since I have the means to be able to do it. I am not trying to make a living from it, but it is cool that somebody else might want one.

Skyway, that looks great! :coolio:

Put me on the list for one, please, if you decide to make them.

Thanks!

I also need to know exactly which ram mount everyone is using, and where to get one from. This is the only way to make it universal for all. ;)

I also need to know exactly which ram mount everyone is using, and where to get one from.  This is the only way to make it universal for all. ;)
Crap!! I just realized that I'll have to relocate my garage door opener button to use this mount. Not a big deal though. Here's a pic of my RAM mount installed. It's actually the ball half of the RAM handlebar mount which I already had before I got this bike. I just mounted it with one bolt in the same hole you're using for your mount. It would just require a longer bolt to go through both pieces, and the RAM would sit right on top.

Here's a pic of my setup with V-Strom handgaurds, RAM mount, and garage door opener button.

2694IMG_2709-med.JPG

I wouldn't have to have it anodized black either. Seems to me that a couple coats of some semi-gloss or satin black paint might actually be a better match.

I got my RAM mount from gpsdiscount.com They were the cheapest I could find on the net. Let us all know if you think this is do-able and how much dinero it will take.

I wouldn't have to have it anodized black either. Seems to me that a couple coats of some semi-gloss or satin black paint might actually be a better match.
Good idea, I'll ship them neckid so you guys can add whatever finish you desire.

Here's a pic of my RAM mount installed. It's actually the ball half of the RAM handlebar mount which I already had before I got this bike. I just mounted it with one bolt in the same hole you're using for your mount. It would just require a longer bolt to go through both pieces, and the RAM would sit right on top.
The mounting bolt that I have planned is a socket head cap screw that will sit below the surface of my mount shown above in the pics. You are correct that a loger bolt will hold both your RAM mount and my CC mount, somewhere between 40-50mm thread length should do it.

The mounting bolt that I have planned is a socket head cap screw that will sit below the surface of my mount shown above in the pics.
I knew that's what you had in mind as soon as I saw the pics. Makes for a very professional appearance. Adding the RAM mount on top will unfortunately dictate something a little less so. Should be easy to find a suitable bolt though. I'm anxious to hear what you think the final pricetag will be on these beauties. While it's obviously a well thought out and well made piece, I might be hesitant to pay more for the mount than I did for the whole cruise control kit. I'm sure others may feel differently. Only you know how labor intensive they are and what your time is worth. Whether I personally buy one or not, kudos to you for coming up with such a handsome and functional farkle.

I was hesitant to install my cruise but with a mount bracket this nice I'm gonna have to go for it. Put me down as intending to buy one when available! Black if possible. Any interest in a custom Givi box relocation plate as partial trade? ;)

I'M IN! Any possibility of making a unit for the right side? I did the Dean Woodward Heat-Troller install in the left switch housing for the heated grips. If this isn't possible, I am still interested. I'll just use a spacer and raise it 1/2" so I can see the LED and knob better. Studying your pictues, I don't think it will actually make the knob innaccessible. A unit for the right side would be bliss, though.

Ever thought of giving Gen The GadgetGuy a run for his money on the Garmin 2610-2730 GPS housing? If so, I'd go as high as $200. I just can't stomach the $367 he wants, but then I have no reference for actual manufacturing costs, so... maybe he's justified and it's just not something that would ever be in my budget? :dntknw: