dark matter, missing pieces of the universe, etc...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop it, evil. You are just trying to give me a stroke to drum up business.

I.V. with "happy-juice", please.

Last edited by a moderator:

And this is why we know quarks are for real..........

For example, when we bounce electrons off of protons and neutrons, the pattern of scattering angles observed is characteristic of point-like spin-1/2 scatters. The relative rates for electron versus neutrino scattering is that predicted from the quark electric charges. The process of electron-positron annihilation to quark pairs gives similar characteristic predictions, all these are also confirmed experimentally. The accumulation of many such results, where experiments match predictions based on quarks, convinces us that quarks are real.

I feel kidney stones coming on.. better get another beer :D

Naw...not for us nightshifters....I'm still trying to calculate the drag coefficient that my "jack head" is creating on the back of my scoot....

So, if the universe is expanding, and they have measuered that at 3/4ths the speed of light in all directions, how can we see objects expanding away from us in the opposite direction? Or can we? They are going 1.5 times the speed of light away from us so I wouldn't think we'd be able to see them at all.
I just hear all of these shows talking about dark matter and how there should be more than they can see and just wonder if they have thought about that.

It also raises the question about traveling faster than light. If object A is moving away from some point at 3/4ths the speed of light and and object B is moving 3/4ths the speed of light in the opposite direction then niether are moving faster than light, but to observers on both objects, both would appear to be speeding away from each other at 1.5 times the speed of light. That means the whole light speed barrier is bullshit because once you are traveling at a certain speed you are stationary as far as you the observer are concerned.
Um. I can actually explain quite a bit of this, but over a web-forum is a little bit difficult. There are really (at least) two questions you bring up. First, if you have 2 objects next to each other, and they each move away from the inital starting point at >0.5c, their relative velocities with respect to one another is still <1.0c.

The second, unverse expansion needs to be thought of a bit differently. Instead of thinknig about a baloon expanding and the universe as "inside" the balloon (where you have a universe boundry of the balloon itself), think of the univserse as the surface of an expanding balloon. So, there is no boundry, everything just gets further from each other.

If you're actually interested, and going to be at WFO, we can sit down with a couple of sheets of paper over a couple of beers.

Then we can talk about star lifetime, and things like the PP and CNO sequences for H to He fusion and why He fusion is so difficult, requiring high energies. Hint: Look for a stable atomic mass 5 or 8 nuclei - there aren't any, best case is a very short-half-life Berrilium-8 nuclei.

You're all wrong. The correct answer is: Melba Toast.

Why? I'm glad you asked...

See, it has to do with the Fourth Tower of Casa Grande... A long, long time ago, on the twelfth planet east from the solar body known as Crumptonium, in the Sphincter Nebula, a ruler who called himself, Skooter The G, reigned over a herd of like minded, homosexual goats. So fast and hard did Skooter The G ride his Village People tribe members that the heat created from the friction of Astroglide deprived, er, 'group happenings' (his term, not mine) caused the rapid and violent expansion of the universe, increasing to a rate of 1.5 times the speed of light. The goats ran a twice the speed of light.

So you see, the Universe, though expanding, can be seen through Skooter The G's Fuchsia Colored Bifocals© quite easily. Add warm milk (2%, please) to the Melba Toast and you'll all live happily ever after...

Well, shit... I just downed my last warmer of L'Esprit de COURVOISIER®. Now go to sleep... Nigh, nigh chillren. ;)

So, if the universe is expanding, and they have measuered that at 3/4ths the speed of light in all directions, how can we see objects expanding away from us in the opposite direction? Or can we? They are going 1.5 times the speed of light away from us so I wouldn't think we'd be able to see them at all.

I just hear all of these shows talking about dark matter and how there should be more than they can see and just wonder if they have thought about that.

It also raises the question about traveling faster than light. If object A is moving away from some point at 3/4ths the speed of light and and object B is moving 3/4ths the speed of light in the opposite direction then niether are moving faster than light, but to observers on both objects, both would appear to be speeding away from each other at 1.5 times the speed of light. That means the whole light speed barrier is bullshit because once you are traveling at a certain speed you are stationary as far as you the observer are concerned.
Um. I can actually explain quite a bit of this, but over a web-forum is a little bit difficult. There are really (at least) two questions you bring up. First, if you have 2 objects next to each other, and they each move away from the inital starting point at >0.5c, their relative velocities with respect to one another is still <1.0c.

The second, unverse expansion needs to be thought of a bit differently. Instead of thinknig about a baloon expanding and the universe as "inside" the balloon (where you have a universe boundry of the balloon itself), think of the univserse as the surface of an expanding balloon. So, there is no boundry, everything just gets further from each other.

If you're actually interested, and going to be at WFO, we can sit down with a couple of sheets of paper over a couple of beers.

Then we can talk about star lifetime, and things like the PP and CNO sequences for H to He fusion and why He fusion is so difficult, requiring high energies. Hint: Look for a stable atomic mass 5 or 8 nuclei - there aren't any, best case is a very short-half-life Berrilium-8 nuclei.

****! Someone that finally can explain this stuff w/o filling in the blanks w/ absolute "kadildafuddle" and I'm stuck in chicago!! AAAAAARRRRGH GOD HATES ME I SWEAR! He hates us all actually :devil:

Thats some heavy shit dude. PFFFFFFFTTT. Hey man, if your on like a space ship traveling the speed of light and you turn on the headlights, would any light be able to come out ?

Just for general info,the earth rotates at approx 1,000 mph that's why days are a little over 24hrs the circumference of the earth is approx 24,000 miles therefore 24hr days. The 2 bodies traveling AWAY from one another has nothing to do w/ ACTUAL speed. The subject you are refering to falls under Einsteins theory of relativity. If you're doing 120 and the leo that you just blew by is doing 60 should your ticket be for going 180? That is the theory you are postulating. Luckily doppler helped figure this out too, just because your RELATIVE speeds are 1.5 times l/s it doesn't mean light speed travel is actually happening cuz NEITHER of you are traveling above 186,000 miles per second

Does that help, man I'm such a loser :huh: speaking this shit on a friday night :russian_roulette:

And this is why we know quarks are for real..........

For example, when we bounce electrons off of protons and neutrons, the pattern of scattering angles observed is characteristic of point-like spin-1/2 scatters. The relative rates for electron versus neutrino scattering is that predicted from the quark electric charges. The process of electron-positron annihilation to quark pairs gives similar characteristic predictions, all these are also confirmed experimentally. The accumulation of many such results, where experiments match predictions based on quarks, convinces us that quarks are real.

I feel kidney stones coming on.. better get another beer :D

hu :blink: coffee americano 2 shots black

I won't be at WFO unfortunately or I'd take you up on it.

I would like to hear a little more about why two bodies in space traveling away from some center point at .6c are not traveling away from each other at 1.2c.

....and I want to know, if the universe is a expanding plain, such as the surface of a balloon, where does matter go after being sucked into a tear/leak-black hole--does it sucked in or sucked out (see how I moved this subject over to sex! :lol: ) and don't tell me it gets compressed/atomized, I aint buy'n that at least not completely. So what did that matter move into? or out of? and where does it go? what's on the inside? what's on the outside? is it a vacuum? is it a space? a solid? a liquid? a gas?--I'm conscious again so I need to go get another beer B)

Thats some heavy shit dude. PFFFFFFFTTT. Hey man, if your on like a space ship traveling the speed of light and you turn on the headlights, would any light be able to come out ?
I was sitting here explaining to my fiancee how back in the 70s with the help of apricot flavored brandy and some wicked green smokeable "stuff" we would sit around discussing how "if your in a car going the speed of light and you turned on the lights would they work as usual?" then I read your post...toophunny!!!!!

The answer is of course "yes" because the light is still traveling at the speed of light (twice as fast as the car)

Time to "wake and bake" - where's my bowl??

....and I want to know, if the universe is a expanding plain, such as the surface of a balloon, where does matter go after being sucked into a tear/leak-black hole--does it sucked in or sucked out (see how I moved this subject over to sex! :lol: ) and don't tell me it gets compressed/atomized, I aint buy'n that at least not completely. So what did that matter move into? or out of? and where does it go? what's on the inside? what's on the outside? is it a vacuum? is it a space? a solid? a liquid? a gas?--I'm conscious again so I need to go get another beer B)
The center of a black hole is thought to contain an ULTRA dense peice of matter from everything that is sucked in. At an atomic level, all mater in a natural state is 99.9999999999% empty space. At the center of a black hole, the gravity is so dense that the matter is compacted to an infinatly small area, which makes the gravity infantitly stroger, and it's a never-ending vicious cycle.

Think of a grain of sand that weights as much as our solar system!

OK, you yahoos....

I wake up (the cat said to), stumble out here, and this is still going on?

Listen ... it's too early in the day to drink Jack Daniels... besides, I ran out last night...... so I guess it's beer for breakfast !!

And my head still hurts..... :dribble:

All I know is that Wonky whistles when approaching C. :D And my head hurts. Still.

I gotta ride to San Diego to pick up some parts. Ouch.

What I really want to know is: how many Shock-diamonds are produced by one’s vehicle when traveling @ C. :huh: Per exhaust, of course! B)

And let’s hope this subject doesn’t deteriorate to a discussion of whether it matters or antimatters. Course maybe it already has and I jes ain’t up ta speed. ;)

guess what virginia,

you're not in the center of the fckin' universe.

and yes, you can't see jack shit

...now spider I'm sure has seen over the edge, 'n its all black leather and tatoos!