Difficult Slow Speed Steering on '07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmolli

Reaction score
I test rode an '07 FJR today and was taken by surprise when I did a few slow speed u turns on a neighborhood street. The steering essentially felt like it was stuck at full lock left when I made a left hand u turn at very slow speed. I had to muscle the steering back to neutral to come out of the turn. When I tried the same maneuvor to the right, it did the same thing. My first thought was that the bike may have a damaged fork and I immediately returned to the owners home and questioned him about what I felt. He said "oh I never noticed that".

When I took a look at the front tire, it was totally worn out (almost no visible tread) and had an unusual wear pattern. If you looked at a cross-section of the tire it would have been almost triangular rather than a smooth curve. (The point of the traingle being rounded naturally). But it looked like it may have been riden over inflated for most of its life. The bike had 7500 miles on it.

Could this strange wear on the front tire cause the strange slow speed handling I experienced???? Or should I be leary that this bike has a damaged fork. I've never experienced anything like this before and I have riden a variety of heavy touring bikes over the last few weeks.

Thanks for your replies,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suspicious as to whether there was an assembly error at the dealer and they tightened the steering bearing too tight, causing it to bind up. It doesn't explain the tire wear, but could explain the tough steering. When Yamaha ships the bike to the dealer, the dealer has some assembly to do. There is a history of steering head bearings being left too loose. It's possible that yours was too tight.

The FJR can feel like a top heavy pig, depending on what you're coming from. Did you make note of what was on the bike for tires? At this time, I can't recall what came stock on the 2007's, but a quick site search regarding tire cupping may reveal pictures and descriptions of unusual tire wear on crap tires.

My 2 cents.

worldbound4now

Welcome to the forum.

The tire wear is "normal" and has been discussed in several threads on this site.

Take a moment to search the site and you will find a huge volume of information. Google can be very useful if you use this syntax:

<search item> @site:fjrforum.com

As for your other question, the FJR is heavier than many bikes and may give you that feel if you are not used to it. I suggest going to a dealer and test driving a new one.

I test rode an '07 FJR today and was taken by surprise when I did a few slow speed u turns on a neighborhood street. The steering essentially felt like it was stuck when I made a left hand u turn at very slow speed. I had to muscle the steering back to neutral to come out of the turn. When I tried the same maneuvor to the right, it did the same thing. My first thought was that the bike may have a damaged fork and I immediately returned to the owners home and questioned him about what I felt. He said "oh I never noticed that".
When I took a look at the front tire, it was totally worn out (almost no visible tread) and had an unusual wear pattern. If you looked at a cross-section of the tire it would have been almost triangular rather than a smooth curve. (The point of the traingle being rounded naturally). But it looked like it may have been riden over inflated for most of its life. The bike had 7500 miles on it.

Could this strange wear on the front tire cause the strange slow speed handling I experienced???? Or should I be leary that this bike has a damaged fork. I've never experienced anything like this before and I have riden a variety of heavy touring bikes over the last few weeks.

Thanks for your replies,

John
I test rode a used 06 recently. The bike would not turn at 15 mph. At 30-35 the only it would change directions was if I hung

off the side. Took it back to the owner and ask him to check the air pressure. It had 25 in the front 30 in the rear.

Yikes!!!

+1 on the low tire pressure. I accidentally ran low on tire pressure and the big clue was that once it started turning I had trouble straightening back out.

From what you're describing, it sounds like ran into the same situation. That bike needs a new front tire.

I test rode an '07 FJR today and was taken by surprise when I did a few slow speed u turns on a neighborhood street. The steering essentially felt like it was stuck when I made a left hand u turn at very slow speed. I had to muscle the steering back to neutral to come out of the turn. When I tried the same maneuvor to the right, it did the same thing. My first thought was that the bike may have a damaged fork and I immediately returned to the owners home and questioned him about what I felt. He said "oh I never noticed that".

Thanks for your replies,

John
It's probably the original front tire, and will be fine once replaced. Make sure the bike hasn't been dropped/crashed and you're good to go. These pigs are heavy and very front tire sensitive.

From my limited experience that tire wire can be normal to a cretain extent, especially on certain tire brands. This wear pattern can be facilitated by low tire pressure. I test rode a used bike that had the same tire wear, I want to say it was an '06. I rode my GSX650f the other day for the first time in awhile, my son normally rides it now, and I noticed the same feeling in slow speed turns. The tire pressure was a good 10 lbs low in the front. The FJR does feel differnt then some other bikes I've ridden in slow speed turns, but with proper tire pressure and I adjusted my suspension it is barley noticable. ( I still have the stock Metzlers on)

The short answer is, yes, jmolli. That sort of tire wear could cause the characteristic you noticed. Check to see if that tire was the OEM Bridgestone. They wear in a very pronounced "V" pattern and that leads to all sorts of weird handling characteristics. Since you didn't supply other details on the steering input required to get the bike around the corner we can't simply rule out other issues like the steering head bearings being overtight, etc. My first response would be to get that front tire replaced (many here like the Michelin PR2's on this bike). Then see what happens.

Cheers,

W2

If it has a Bridgestone 021 on the front you've found the problem.

The short answer is, yes, jmolli. That sort of tire wear could cause the characteristic you noticed. Check to see if that tire was the OEM Bridgestone. They wear in a very pronounced "V" pattern and that leads to all sorts of weird handling characteristics. Since you didn't supply other details on the steering input required to get the bike around the corner we can't simply rule out other issues like the steering head bearings being overtight, etc. My first response would be to get that front tire replaced (many here like the Michelin PR2's on this bike). Then see what happens.
Cheers,

W2
W2,

There was absolutely no load on the steering turning into the turn, but you had to muscle it to get the steering back to neutral. The bike had its original tires, unfortuanately I didn't note what brand they were.

John

If the tire had been kept anywhere close to properly inflated it should not be wore to the point of a problem. It should be tired but not wore out. I've seen FJR's get over 10k on a front tire before they are at the wear bar. I would put the bike on the center stand and check the ease of movment and play in the steering head. If that seem to be alright it just might be you adjusting to low speed steering on the FJR.

Cheers,

W2
W2,

There was absolutely no load on the steering turning into the turn, but you had to muscle it to get the steering back to neutral. The bike had its original tires, unfortuanately I didn't note what brand they were.

John
In that case, I expect the tire is the problem. There is a wealth of information on this site about the OEM Bridgestone front and how bad it is. My experience with it was really miserable. I like canyon carving here in So Cal and until I replaced it, I literally could not tell where my line was going to take me with the OEM. PR2's changed all that. Here's a link to the writeup I did on this subject. Wee Willy's experience.

I suspect the bike is fine, based on your information, and the tire just needs to be replaced.

Cheers,

W2

John, had the exact same problem you did on an 07......see here....https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=125665&hl= In a nutshell, the OEM Metzlers were causing the problem. Mine only had 4K miles on it but the tires didn't look too bad. Basically the bike would stand up while cornering and fall in during low speed maneuvering. Bought the Michelin PR2's and the problem was solved.

If the tire had been kept anywhere close to properly inflated it should not be wore to the point of a problem. It should be tired but not wore out. I've seen FJR's get over 10k on a front tire before they are at the wear bar.
Can't completely agree with this. The OP states 7500 miles on the tire. Depending on how it was treated, i.e., proper inflation over its lifetime, it most assuredly COULD be dunfer. Yes, we've seen FJRs get over 10k on a front...I currently have 12k on my Avon Storm...but we've also heard of tires being toast at 5K as well.

The problem description definitely points to a worn out front tire, as does the OP's description of the wear pattern.

John, you don't have your location in your profile. Perhaps a local owner could meet you at the bike and let you compare.

It seriously sounds like the front tire is the culprit.

It may be a bad habit, but when I started dragging the back brake in slow speed U turns, the bike became more predictible / manageable for me.

About the tire issue, my original front wore out about the same time as the back. I always change front tires when I change the back (cheap insurance).

On my 08, when original Bridgestones hit 5-6 k, it steered very heavy. Next up was Dunlop Roadsmart(s), felt absolutely wonderful when new, and at 5-6k, started to steer like a truck. Now Michelin PR2's, and again feels great so far @ 1k on them. Waiting to see if they last longer than Dunlops. Like everyone else says, its a trait of this bike's front tire wear. Easily corrected with fresh rubber.

My guess is going to be tire pressure, and perhaps abnormal tire wear due to low pressure. 7500 miles is near the end of its expected lifespan as well. As others have said, put it on the center stand to check tightness of steering head bearings as well.

Ditto on the Bridgestones.

Took Dirty Betty out for the first ride this spring and couldn't believe how much muscling I had to do. Then I noticed the front tire. I check the pressure every couple of weeks. You'll probably see that 1" ridge protrusion on the tire. For a real pucker moment, wait until it tracks a tar snake; it is like the bike is on a rail.

I'm replacing the tire on Wed, and I hope to enjoy the better handling that others have outlined.

Steve