Digital Cameras buying advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skoots -

The bunch who I work with live on the road with our cameras and we are living nightmares for the manufacturers because of the travel and beatings we put them through, all while expecting good detail. A few observations and then what I've currently got.

We really liked the Sony features and bought about 15 of them in various models. Fantastic features. While we hated the proprietary memory sticks, they took great photos for a while, but we killed every one over about a 2-3 year period. Same with other Sony equipment we've used and we've sworn off Sony. Granted, our use is tougher than the average family guy, but probably not too far different than the vibration and knocks a moto-camera or computer equipment will get.

We tried the 850SW predecessor to the 1050SW that you got and had the same results with muddy photos. The other downsides were the battery and XD cards that mean we needed to carry more stupid adapters. We're done with those, too. As an aside, the sealed cameras actually held up to rinsing in bleach water pretty well after being exposed to nasty biogoo.

A few folks have the Nikon CoolPix cameras and they haven't done any better or worse than the same price-point Jap cameras. The digital Kodaks come in essentially two ranges. The cheapies are junk and don't even make good door stops. The expensive models do OK, but at those prices the Panasonics, Canons, and some others are better.

Some guys still swear by the AA battery models, but most no longer do. The proprietary battery ones tend to be smaller and easier to carry, the batteries are cheap enough to carry a spare or two, and some have incredibly small chargers that can recharge over lunch. We've also learned that keeping the SD memory card format is the way to go. They are dirt cheap even in huge sizes and SD readers in laptops are common, or you can carry a really small adapter. We also use the SD cards in lieu of thumb drive for whatever else you might need to put on a thumb drive.

For bigger cameras, we've found that the Panasonics produce good shots and can take a beating. I've got an older version of this one (DMC-FZ5) that doesn't have the big funky lens hood. The big-body Panasonics like this have huge glass lenses that let in a lot of light and can do both telephoto and macro quite well. Mine's lived in my backpack for a couple of years without missing a beat, unless the wife is pilfering it. The size is an issue, though. Outside of work and home, I never take it along, just due to the size issue.

What I've come back to for almost everything else and some work sites is the metal-case Canon SD Elph series, currently as a SD1100IS. (Canon review) I don't appreciate the new ones having a plastic battery cover, but so far so good. Mine has fallen down a flight of metal stairs, countless rocks, been rained on numerous times, etc. The only thing I'm somewhat careful about now is to use a stiff case to keep from cracking the window in the back, like the last one. Okay, so my son had it in a back pocket with other stuff snowboarding and sat hard on it. But even since then, it has a viewfinder and still takes good photos so I let the son keep it. I can keep the SD1100 in the chest pocket of my 'Stitch and shoot one-handed easily. (use the lanyard) For the beach I have a $30 windowed pouch off EBay that really does keep it dry. The battery charger is the exact same size as the camera and I do keep a spare, but seldom need it.

The only other thing to add is that one person is now trying the new Pentax waterproof camera and really likes it. Sure looks tempting & I 'm sure I'll be in the market again within a year or two. :rolleyes: FAR better reviews than the Olympus 1050SW got. https://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camer...0_-_Ocean_Blue/

Did you try searching the digital camera forums?

:p
:rofl: That's good, Dudewado... Excellent even! LOL, telling the Admin to 'go search'.. phooking funny! :rofl:

Skoot, I just picked up a new digie from Costco, really happy with it... will post us details when I get home. It's big enough I can left hand hold and shoot while riding with throttle hand twisting the loud handle. Prop battery though.. overall, it works great, is easy to adjust settings one handed, has nice big lcd screen and fast shutter speed.

Oh, and bought it at Costco. 3 months no question return policy for whatever reason. Hard to beat.

You've always done nice ride reports. What was your old camera?

What nobody's mentioned explicitly is which one has BIG BUTTONS?

This is what's needed for taking pics "on the fly". My wife's Canon 725SW is a good camera but finding the tiny buttons with gloved hands while under way is nearly impossible. I'd allmost rather trade some resolution for handling ability. Do the Canon's mentioned above have BIG BUTTONS Or at least something you can feel?

Don't like the AA batteries, not eco-friendly as I seem to go thru a lot. On my other equipment (helmet cam) I just buy a backup battery(s) to last as long as I need to.

SkooterG - You might as well have asked what type of oil to use. lol

This question is about as subjective as oil or what motorcycle is best.

However, when I took on buying a camera a few years back, one of the best places recommended to me by a photographer buddy is Digital Photography Review. Give it a whirl, you'll be stuck in virtual camera research land for days, weeks, maybe months.

I ended up buying the Lumix or Panasonic DMC-F27. I love it! It's far more camera then I really use but, it has many features and is just below a higher end DSLR type camera. The one draw back and it is mentioned in DPReview, is the low level light pix do not turn out very well. I concur, they could be better. I'm not sure if the DMC-F28 is has fixed that issue.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the AA batteries, not eco-friendly as I seem to go thru a lot. On my other equipment (helmet cam) I just buy a backup battery(s) to last as long as I need to.
I don't understand that sort of thought process. I just threw out the rechargable batteries that I bought with my camera... in 2006. After 6000-6500 digital photos and 200+ recharges, they finally gave up the ghost in the colder conditions I subject them to now (shooting in the snow). I carry one charger for all of my batteries (AA/AAA charger), no worries about needing to pack the docking station or crazy chargers for every item... if my GPS runs out, I switch out the camera batteries so I can keep going, etc. Fewer batteries also means less energy to work with, although the cameras are usually designed appropriately. I could fill up 1.5 gb of my 2 gb SD card before I needed to charge the camera again - which came in handy in Japan when I took over 400 photos.

I have a Canon Powershot A630, and I think it's the bees knees. The sensor in it is going and it's been dropped a bunch of times, so I too need to replace my camera. I've taken some amazing photos with it though and I'll be sorry to see it go. The optical zoom is a bit weak (4x) so whatever I get next will have to have at least 8x optical zoom. That being said, 4x and 8x are all relative to the base zoom, so they can be a bit deceptive in terms of actual results. Still, it's a pretty good camera. The Canon SX10 IS is probably what I'll end up upgrading to; either that or a Canon 40D. I'll probably pick up one of those waterproof shock resistant Olympus tough cameras too for my more active endeavours.

Here's some photos I've taken with this camera. #2 and #4 were taken using a tripod.

Ok, so what's the consensus on the Nikon D300 or D700?
Rick
Friggin awesome cameras, just kinda big and bulky (and expensive) to be carrying around on the motorcycle, and pretty much over kill unless you're really serious about the photos you're taking.

Both of those are on my short list for my next DLSR...

I vote Canon G10 or G9 if you can find one.

I have the G9 which is my 3rd "G series" and absolutely love the picture and video quality.

G2, G6, G9

great price on Olympus Stylus 850SW at Best Buy. uses XD cards and comes with a battery charger unit. is not powered by AA batteries. very simple to operate.

I vote Canon G10 or G9 if you can find one.I have the G9 which is my 3rd "G series" and absolutely love the picture and video quality.

G2, G6, G9
Got my G10 on Thursday....loving it so far, but lots to learn about it. It has a lot of capabilities...

From 1st bunch of pics...

zquad.jpg

Cannon G10. If you want a point of shoot they make excellent ones too. The optics are great and from simple to easy to use. They have been making cameras for a long time, and the sensors that gather light ( More important than megapixels)

barb.You should try holding it right side up.

duh.
Like this???

Ok, speaking of 'right side up', lets make a deal....You try and keep your bike on the roadway(s), I'll try and keep my pics all right side up. Howzat??

zoomquad.jpg

Beautiful ..............SHOT, Ms. Barb..

Snowbirds?
Yes.

I live 20 minutes from CFB Comox. The Snowbirds practice here every spring for 2 weeks. Friday I sat on the beach right beside the runway for a couple hours. Snowbirds, an F18 and a Hawk were out putting their machines thru their paces...

The thing I like about the Cannon G series ( I have the old model 9) is they are rugged. That was one of my concerns and I like a decent size body to get a good grip to keep it still. I always have a old powershot 560 in the bag that takes good pics so I don't miss any great ones that does a good job as well and was around $100.00 a few years ago.