Digital Cameras buying advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know about megazoom digital cameras before reading this thread.

My Sony DSC-P7 (3.2 MP) has worked just fine for me, but I'm now I'm curious about these megazoom cameras.

So Skooter, did you get the SX10?

Hey Skoot,

Did you pull the trigger yet? The suspense is killing me!

My wife plunked down some dough on the Powershot SX10 IS for our nine year old (it's her money, so what do I care?). It's been holding up well under the kid conditions since January with a few drops, bumps and lots of grabbing hands ("let me see!"). The lcd is big enough for 4-5 rugrats to gather round to see the pic or movie. My daughter has shot 700-800 photos and maybe 50 movies so far. Not a single problem (fingers crossed).

If you want to see some real world shots from amateurs and semi-pros -- along with their likes/dislikes -- on just about any digital camera, check out www.dpchallenge.com. It's an ongoing series of photo contests in which participants usually have a week to submit a photo on a particular topic. The regulars put their equipment through their paces about on par with people here on their feejers. It might be a helpful site.

If you're still looking, don't overlook Pentax. A lot of bang for the buck and an optics company that went digital instead of the other way around. And, as most photographers will tell you, most of the quality is in the glass. Barring the K1000 lenses, all the decades of Pentax lenses will work with whatever camera body you choose. The used market for good quality glass is plentiful and affordable. Even a 60's era lense for a 35mm body will work on a current full-featured DSLR body (is manual mode in this example).

Many photography students continue to go with Pentax as they bring a lot to the table for the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skooter,
What did you end up with?

So Skooter, did you get the SX10?

Hey Skoot,
Did you pull the trigger yet? The suspense is killing me!

Sorry. Have been away from the 'puter a lot over the last few weeks and also got sidetracked from this particular project.

But, I finally did get my (new in January) Olympus 1030SW listed on ebay today.

And, after more research, I finally decided I will be buying the..................................

Canon SX10 IS.

Not sure when I will get it. Sometime in the next month or so, partly depending on how much I get for my Olympus above. Hell, who knows, maybe I'll say 'fuke it' and order it next week. I sure would like to see the price of it a bit closer to $300, however. Don't think that will happen anytime soon, though.

A major influence in my decision was the Super Zoom review at the dpreview.com website: Clicky HERE.

I also looked at the Canon G Series, but it costs significantly more, doesn't have as much zoom as I would like (not that I need the 20X zoom of the SX10 IS), and frankly, the dpreview.com review of that camera while not bad, well.....they didn't think it was outstanding and recommended a few other cameras over it.

I am looking forward to the new camera. My trusty 2004 Olympus 4MP 10X Zoom has served me well, but I can't wait to try a new one with the much better specs and hope it will server me as my primary camera for many years.

Cool. I'm looking at the Canon SX10 IS. I need to buy something before CFR.

One thing I learned this past Saturday is that I really need it to be able to accept a filter. I took all sorts of beautiful shots but when I got home and looked at 'em on the computer, they were all too bright and white. If I had a filter on the camera, I'm thinking it would capture what I'm seeing through my sunglasses. :dntknw:

I've read conflicting info on whether the SX10 accepts filters or not.

One thing I learned this past Saturday is that I really need it to be able to accept a filter. I took all sorts of beautiful shots but when I got home and looked at 'em on the computer, they were all too bright and white. If I had a filter on the camera, I'm thinking it would capture what I'm seeing through my sunglasses. :dntknw:

I don't think a filter is going to help your situation. The camera in auto mode of any sort will compensate for the darkness of the filter by changing the exposure so the end result will be the same. If you’re shooting in a manual mode then the filter could help but it's still not necessary all those adjustments can better be made with software after the fact. Last Sat. was a bright overcast day meaning the sky is bright but the land is a bit on the dark side which can fool your camera's metering system. The only filter that software can't duplicate well is a polarizer, everything else can be done in most consumer software out there. I wouldn't worry about your new point and shoot accepting filters or not.

BTW I just picked up a new G10 for my CFR camera :yahoo:

I don't think a filter is going to help your situation. The camera in auto mode of any sort will compensate for the darkness of the filter by changing the exposure so the end result will be the same. If you’re shooting in a manual mode then the filter could help but it's still not necessary all those adjustments can better be made with software after the fact. Last Sat. was a bright overcast day meaning the sky is bright but the land is a bit on the dark side which can fool your camera's metering system. The only filter that software can't duplicate well is a polarizer, everything else can be done in most consumer software out there. I wouldn't worry about your new point and shoot accepting filters or not.

+1...I am loving mine.

What were you using Saturday?

The photos that didn't turn out as well as expected were taken while I was on my way to Gramps' house. It was 7AM or so, not a cloud in the sky and my subjects were lit up by the morning sun. I kept thinking to myself; "This is just like those Left Coast Posey Sniffers. Ride. Stop. Ride. Stop..."

That night when I thought I was going to have some really cool scenes to share... nuttin!

Big ass camera to take those "on the fly" pictures. Do you plan to stop for every shot? Or are you considering some sort of zoomie cradle to hold the camera while riding (post photos if so)

OK J-2L, ya got me confused :huh: :huh:

You took some pix and when you looked at them on the `puter they were too bright? HUH? `splain a little more if you would good sir.

As for the SX10 IS accepting filters, that would be a big 10-4 there good buddy. I put a UV filter (52mm) on mine if for no other reason than to help keep the blasted lens cap attached better. And by the way, don't hesitate buying a lens cap tether either.....that sucker'll fly off as soon as you turn your back...with or without the added filter.

VPup

OK J-2L, ya got me confused :huh: :huh:
With my sunglasses on, this little sping on the river bank looked really cool. I could see the greens of the moss, the browns off the lime deposits and the subtle little shadows in the structure.

Click on the photo for a larger image.

Maybe I'll just wear my sunglasses when I'm viewing the photos too. :D

What were you using Saturday?
I had the new G10. Still just using the full auto everything mode gonna start experimenting with the different features now.
O.K. That's a nice camera. I like those photos you took at Buena Vista Park. If that was the 'old' camera you replaced with the G10, I was going to offer to buy it :rolleyes:

Click on the photo for a larger image.

Maybe I'll just wear my sunglasses when I'm viewing the photos too. :D
Sunglasses would be one option (I'd love a pic of that too!). Photoshop color correction &/or smart fix would probably also help.

Looks to me like there might be a coupla issues w/this photo:

1) Shadows suggest the Sun is high in the sky therefore mostly flat reflected light, and/or

2) Camera metering off a darker part of the frame and thus washing out the rest of the photo

You have above what would be considered a tough photographic subject i.e. a near full spectrum of refelcted color choices for the camera to capture from nearly white to dark brown/green. T`ain't no POS.....uh, excuse me.....P&S camera gonna do that justice without some operator input/experience. I tried multiple metering spots for my recent photo shown below, but the spectrum of colors is just too broad to capture everything your eye can see in a digital format. Just the way it is sometimes, all we can do is keep trying......

IMG_0123s.jpg

Best,

VPup

For the last 3 years I carry a Cannon D-30 as my main camera and I love it at air shows.

The size is a pain on the bike though and I find that I use the auto modes when riding anyway. I mount it on the bike using a ram ball on the stem nut or sometimes I put it on the vibration dampened gas cap mount I got from twisted throttle. Its a great camera, but I find the ease of use of the point and shoot types winning out.

On the bike I always carry a much less costly Cannon A2000IS. The auto modes are very flexible, the view screen is better than my D-30 and with a 8 gig SD card I can take around 1700 pics in fine mode at 10mp. The pics are looking good and the colors are deep and vibrant, there are modes for foilage, sun set, snow, two modes for moving people etc. I prefer the AA batteries, I know I can always get spares at a fuel stop and the rechargeables work fine. About 600 pics on a charge using the common everready stuff walmart sells.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photos above could be improved if you use CPL filter. I use it all the time on a road trip because we always shoot landscapes and blue skies. Try it, you might like it.