Disappointed...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear. Sounds like that was the better deal after all. And I now I know of one more FJR in MD. So when we going for a ride?

FWIW, saw a new 09 in showroom of Cycle Nation in Stockbridge , GA........13k something.............

I decided to pull the trigger on a 2010 FJR. My local sealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't really willing to settle on a price if I wasn't really willing to sign paperwork. My sales guy, who I have bought from before, said, "Look, you just find the best deal you can and I'll match it. Our motto is "We will not be undersold"".
After a morning spent at the BMW dealer checking out the K13GT one last time and watching Chris “Teach” McNeil demo the new S1000RR (Wow, what a bike, and what a rider) I headed over to the Yamaha Dealer to do the deal, with a add in my hand from another dealer in the region for a 2010 FJR1300 at $13,195. My sales call calls to confirm the add, and confirm that the other dealer doesn't charge for fright and prep, draws up the paperwork and takes it to the Sales Manager. The reply was.... "Nope, can't do it." Now my sales guy is good guy. Fellow FZ1 rider and bike nut. He asked for me to wait for Monday, and he would call the owner of the dealership and give me a firm answer.

Sucks to go to the dealer and not be able to sign the deal. Now I'm sitting here waiting for word on if I'm getting my bike local or if I'm taking a 3 hour drive. I also need to decide if I'm willing to come up a couple bucks to keep local or if I'm going to hold them to the $13,195.
Possible newbie here...How in the world did you get them down to $13,195? I checked out a 2010 FJR and they quoted me $16,000. I'm trying to decide between a brand new 2008 for $12,600, the 2010 for $16,000 or a used 2007 with only 1850 miles for ~ $9,000. Not sure what I be giving up if I went with the 2007 used. Any help is appreciated.

+1000 for D&H.

When I was shopping for a new 08, the dealer in Atlanta actually kept a straight face and said that if I buy from D&H and bring the feejer for service to them, they will not work on priority and will be substantially longer turnaround times for everything!

Crooks - most of them are!

+1000 for D&H.
When I was shopping for a new 08, the dealer in Atlanta actually kept a straight face and said that if I buy from D&H and bring the feejer for service to them, they will not work on priority and will be substantially longer turnaround times for everything!

Crooks - most of them are!

A friend brought a new tire and his wheel into a shop and was told that since he didn't buy the tire from them that they wouldn't mount and balance it for him. My thinking would be to make as many customers happy as possible so you don't shut out possible future business. A little money made on labor may pay off big later on, but I guess everything is taken personal these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend brought a new tire and his wheel into a shop and was told that since he didn't buy the tire from them that they wouldn't mount and balance it for him. My thinking would be to make as many customers happy as possible so you don't shut out possible future business. A little money made on labor may pay off big later on, but I guess everything is taken personal these days.
I used to take my FJ wheels, off the bike, with fresh tires for mounting and balancing to a local dealer This was probably 8 years ago. They charged $50 per wheel, since I didn't buy the tires from them. I checked their tire prices out. It was still cheaper for me to buy the tires online and get hit with the higher charge than buy the tires from them and get the discounted mounting and balancing.

Found a good independent shop that did it for $25 per wheel. Unfortunately he moved to lower rent on the other side of the bay. I do my own mounting and balancing now.

The logic in this from the dealer's point of view is that they do not want the liability associated with a tire failure on a tire over which they had no control. They do not know the state of the tire when you give it to them, or if its a second, or anything else about it.

Around here, the most anal retentive dealerships will not touch someone elses tire for love or money. The less anal retentive will mount tires from anyone, but you have to sign a waiver of liability. The true jackleg dealers with little to lose will mount your tire on whatever rim you bring in, bent or not, blem or not, and they'll charge you $5. If I'm restoring a POS to make it into a running roach, I will use the $5 service. Otherwise, I just suck it up and buy my tires from the dealer where I am going to have them installed. They like it better, and they cut me slack on other things because they know I'm trying to give them my business. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I suppose I could mount my own tires on the No-Mar in the lab, but generally I'd rather let the dealer do it.

The logic in this from the dealer's point of view is that they do not want the liability associated with a tire failure on a tire over which they had no control. They do not know the state of the tire when you give it to them, or if its a second, or anything else about it.

Around here, the most anal retentive dealerships will not touch someone elses tire for love or money. The less anal retentive will mount tires from anyone, but you have to sign a waiver of liability. The true jackleg dealers with little to lose will mount your tire on whatever rim you bring in, bent or not, blem or not, and they'll charge you $5. If I'm restoring a POS to make it into a running roach, I will use the $5 service. Otherwise, I just suck it up and buy my tires from the dealer where I am going to have them installed. They like it better, and they cut me slack on other things because they know I'm trying to give them my business. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I suppose I could mount my own tires on the No-Mar in the lab, but generally I'd rather let the dealer do it.
Here's a simple tactic that works on cars, bikes, appliances, and other big-ticket retail items (obviously not houses): First do what others have said and resarch to find out what the item actually costs the seller to get it all the way onto the sales floor. Second figure out how much you want to spend for the item and the accessories. Third go with that amount of cash, lay it down, and say, "This is the total that I can afford. Can I leave here with <item> for this amount of money?" The cash in hand is very hard for people to resist.

Be prepared to spend a little time because they will try to add BS charges. Just say, "No. this is the total that I can afford." If they keep screwing around and you get fed up, pick up the cash and walk. But if the amount you've decided on is reasonable for the item you want, someone will make you the deal.

Here's a simple tactic that works on cars, bikes, appliances, and other big-ticket retail items (obviously not houses): First do what others have said and resarch to find out what the item actually costs the seller to get it all the way onto the sales floor. Second figure out how much you want to spend for the item and the accessories. Third go with that amount of cash, lay it down, and say, "This is the total that I can afford. Can I leave here with <item> for this amount of money?" The cash in hand is very hard for people to resist.
Be prepared to spend a little time because they will try to add BS charges. Just say, "No. this is the total that I can afford." If they keep screwing around and you get fed up, pick up the cash and walk. But if the amount you've decided on is reasonable for the item you want, someone will make you the deal.
Don't let them pick it up though. Then they'll have their meat-hooks on it AND they'll still want to talk additional charges. Yes, it's all there, no you may not touch it until we have a signed deal.