Do you think you can ACE IL motorcycle test???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68%

I have no idea how I managed to ride to work today, or how I am going to make it home! Maybe I'll just leave the bike and call for a ride. :unsure:

11. Lane sharing:
a) Lets you get where you are going faster.

B ) Is an unsafe practice.

c) Can be dangerous in heavy traffic.

d) Is perfectly acceptable.
A is the correct answer without a doubt, just not the answer they are after ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
68%
I have no idea how I managed to ride to work today, or how I am going to make it home! Maybe I'll just leave the bike and call for a ride. :unsure:
obviously you dont belong on the road :rolleyes:

Thank god you got a worse score than me :lol:

11. Lane sharing:

Absolutely and you know everyone of those Californicators is going to get that wrong :)

90%

I avoid parking 90 to the curb, and I was undecided about improper braking or veering wide. Guessed wrong.

Be honest. What did you get wrong?
Question about lane position while being passed.
So, you got it right that if you are wearing helmet you are all of a sudden safer on the road? Or when road turns bad you would drag your feet on the ground?

I am simply trying to understand? because I do not agree what their answers. I think that you should be more careful first of all. Wearing helmet has not made any one smarter. People still crash. I think that by taking your feet off the pegs off sets motorcycle great deal. I see it all the time during my courses.

So, lets have a friendly debate :) Who knows maybe I will change my mind :)

BTW. Question about passing, I choose to slow down. By this I am hopping to minimize the stress on a driver that is passing me a need to cut me off to get out from the opposite lane. How is me been in the center lane vs other lane choice going to help have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
11. Lane sharing:

Absolutely and you know everyone of those Californicators is going to get that wrong :)
Actually, I got that one right, but I hd to force myself to remember it's not a Republik test :p

Wich I aced when I took it 24 or so years go B)

Well after stewing about this one for a while. I figured it out.

There are only about 18 questions with actual right and wrong answers the others are debatable and don't really matter their just looking for certain percentage for passing. Which means that many lucky but clueless riders will pass and the people who have some experience will be left to debate the absurd questions.

What is slippery anyway? Should I "Slow down and coast with you feet on the roadway when necessary" when it rains or just when there's oil on the road? Perhaps I should get out of the oil on the road but the car is passing so I should stay in the middle with my feet on the roadway. I wish my pillion would stop talking to me, I'm really not bored. I should just go park it 90 degrees to the curb and hope it doesn't fall over because this is perpendicular to a down hill slope. :blink:

Nope. I got it 'right' according to the IL DMV, even though they are totally wrong. Hell, even the Feds say it's safer to keep MC's moving. And ride with your feet down? Who the hell wrote this bullshit? Jebus, I'm glad I don't have to be licensed in IL! With that, I'll take my 76 and stay in Cali, thank you (and you're welcome).

:p

80% and I agree that several of the 'correct' answers are total BS.

For example, they ask about what to do when being passed. I thought it should be stay to the right but they want you to slow down????? How much should I slow down? Would I be more correct to just stay home?

So, when the going is slippery, I should 'GRAB' the brakes to get more traction? Sorry but my tires have a better coefficient of friction than my butt. If I grab the brakes when traction is poor, me and the ground are going to meet PDQ.

And for a speed wobble, potentially caused by several things listed, should I really brake hard and fast? I fail to see how that would help me with incorrectly inflated tires, or a mechanical failure.

And I never ever gave a thought to carrying a passenger to prevent me getting bored.

I wonder, has the person/committee that wrote this test ever ridden, or even SEEN a motorcycle?

Jill

For example, they ask about what to do when being passed. I thought it should be stay to the right but they want you to slow down????? How much should I slow down? Would I be more correct to just stay home?
So, when the going is slippery, I should 'GRAB' the brakes to get more traction? Sorry but my tires have a better coefficient of friction than my butt. If I grab the brakes when traction is poor, me and the ground are going to meet PDQ.

And for a speed wobble, potentially caused by several things listed, should I really brake hard and fast? I fail to see how that would help me with incorrectly inflated tires, or a mechanical failure.
Now I'm pretty sure there just messing with us.

They told me to drive in the slippery middle, then drag my feet on the pavement and if a wobble occurs stand on the foot pegs and jump as high as possible away from the bike. You don't want that thing to land on top of you now do you.

They told me to drive in the slippery middle, then drag my feet on the pavement and if a wobble occurs stand on the foot pegs and jump as high as possible away from the bike. You don't want that thing to land on top of you now do you.
No way, it wouldn't land on top of you. Remember, as we have been told over and again in another thread that this is NOT a top heavy bike. :rolleyes: