Do you think you can ACE IL motorcycle test???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stupid test questions shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, aren't these the same people who ask us to ride a couple figure eights in the parking lot to demonstrate our ability to ride?

88%, Missed the angle to curb (I said 45 degrees), slippery road (I said to keep upright as possible...I don't think dragging feet is a good idea), and group ride (I said maintain staggered position...don't think beginners should go first, near the front but not first...I hate group rides anyway).

80%. What kind of group ride has only 3 riders and as asked before, what does wearing a helmet have to do with crashing below 30? I guess I could drag my feet on the ground while on a slippery surface, but at 110mph, I bet someone loses a foot. :p Definately needed the book. When I took my test years ago, the questions seemed like they came right out of the rider safety book that came with my bike. I was glad I had read that. Got 100% that time; although, I don't know how...Aparently, I'm too stupid to ride :dribble:

Won't bother with the test...

...took for real eons ago. Many questions were unintelligible or jes plain idiotic...

...who makes up this stuf anyway? I mean who is it? I wanna give you a piece of my mind anna knuckle sammich.

84% for me. Got the following wrong;

10) When a driver of a vehicle is passing you, you should?

There is no definitive answer for this one! The proper lane position depends on a whole host of other factors (size of vehicle, behaviour of other driver, debris in road, conditions such as wet, dark, etc, and the orientation of the road, twisty, flat hilly, lots of driveways, country road, etc.

13) If you park your motorcycle at the curb, you should park it at:

Again, no correct answer. But 45 is more correct than 90. Here's a whole list of reasons why 45 is better.

- If you park at 90 degs your front wheel is way out as far as possible from the curb and your just asking for some f#!kwit cager to come along and clip your front wheel! 45 allows the bike to be closer to the curb.

- Still gives you visibility for other drivers to see the bike since they can still see the side profile (as opposed to an end profile when parking parallel to curb)

- Uses up a bit more fore-aft space to discourage cars from "sharing" the parking spot. A 90 angle means you use very little fore-aft space and cars _will_ try to squeeze in with you.

- At this angle the bike is easy to pull onto road. You can still glance left and see approaching traffic without having to use the mirror.

- At 90 you have to immediately turn as you enter the road which could be difficult in heavier traffic, 45 its easier to quickly merge with traffic.

19) The biggest cause of accidents involving a single motorcycle is:

Jeez, This is a test to see if you can/should drive a motorcycle. Not to see how well you quite some trivia answer!

22) A "wobble" can begin for many reasons ....:

I certainly would not "Brake fast and hard" as they indicate. I would stop as "quickly and safely as possible", but that answer wasn't there. And there is a big difference between those two answers! Actually, for a new rider who is still learning the finer dynamics of motorcycle control this could actually be the worst possible advice to give (IMHO)

Last edited by a moderator:
The stupid test questions shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, aren't these the same people who ask us to ride a couple figure eights in the parking lot to demonstrate our ability to ride?
Actually, by your ability or un-ability to make a U-turn or not can tell a lot about your ability to ride. If you are capable of making a U-Turn you are demonstrating your ability to properly control throttle and clutch. You have very good eye/road/body coordination.

If you are shaky during the U-Turn, you are most likely shaky during regular turns as well.

88%. I will go ahead and criticize my wrong marks. . . .

If a car is passing me, I will be as far from him as possible. I'll ride right, not where they said. I NEVER ride where they said; I'd like to stay in the part that the cars clear nails out for me.

The angle I park at a curb depends on the type of space. You can't park prependicular to a parallel space without sticking out into traffic. That's safe!

And what does a helmet have to do with being above or below 30? I said be especially careful when starting, but they think I'm stupid.
84% and same wrong as wfooshee...and same rationale.

Additionally, I got the one about a slippery road wrong...and the ONLY time I've ever tried the outrigger maneuver was on a monsoon-soaked clayt dirt road literally in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico...where no street bike should really have been. Hell, even 4x4's were getting stuck on it.

To pass an IL test I'd clearly have to memorize what they think are the right answers and promptly forget the rubbish parts. ;)
....you forgot the $$$$ :clapping: :clapping: :rolleyes:

What? You talkinto me?

;)

3. In order for a motorcycle to be street legal, it must have

a) Brakes in front and back.

B) Turn signals and brake, head and tail lights.

c) Two mirrors and a horn.

d) All of the above.

Umm... I can think of several motorcycles that are very old that won't have indicators. For starters, most Harley-Davidsons made before 1948, like the kind my grandpa rode. That's why we have hand signals. They can't be licenced in IL? An "All American" bike cannot be licenced in an American state?

10. When a driver of a vehicle is passing you, you should:

B) Move to the center lane position.

Because riding in the oil slick is WAY better than dropping 5 or choosing the position based on the situation...

Yup, I don't feel bad about not getting 100%.

2. The safest type of eye protection is:

a) Sunglasses.

B) Goggles.

c) The motorcycle�s windshield.

d) A face shield.

(It says eye protection, not face protection.) Even with a face shield stuff can infiltrate to your eyes. I don't wear goggles but was just trying to answer the question correctly.

This test is almost as bad as the ohio one that I failed twice before I learned what THEY wanted me to answer.
Same thought here. Andy and I went to the California DMV on a whim, and took their written test for a motorcycle. Neither of us knew that there was a book that we should have read first. The application of common sense, and years of riding experience didn't gel with the answers they wanted so we both failed the test first time.

With the aid of the book of answers, we were able to regurgitate their flawed logic and pass the test.

The MSF test used in CA has 50 questions and all but one are based on common sense. The only answer that I don't like, is for a question dealing with DUI. One of the options they suggest is to slow the pace of the drinking. NOT!!!!! I believe that answer is going to be dropped for the next edition of the book.