Do you use the clutch when you upshift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Let's say you're in first gear and want to upshift to 2nd, do you pull the clutch in and then upshift, or just blip the throttle a bit, then upshift, without using the clutch?

People may frown upon the idea, but I personally tend to upshift w/o the clutch :rolleyes:

It's a constant mesh transmission - you don't need it to upshift, or even downshift if you rev match. All 5 gears are always engaged. I use it most of the time.

Let's say you're in first gear and want to upshift to 2nd, do you pull the clutch in and then upshift, or just blip the throttle a bit, then upshift, without using the clutch?
People may frown upon the idea, but I personally tend to upshift w/o the clutch :rolleyes:
compared to my other bikes I use the FJR clutch more -especially in the lower gears, but still not a lot. Pretty much always from 1 to 2 and most of the time from 2 to 3 ....but after that I don't use it that much. Very much varies on pace and conditions and my moood ..but on average (aprox) for me:
Neutral-->1st clutch 100% <_<

1st-->2nd nearly always use clutch 99.9%

2nd-->3rd clutch 75%

3rd-->4th clutch 25%

4th-->5th clutch 25%

pre-loading the shifter and a blip of the throttle and shifts are much smoother/easier without the clutch.

haven't tried the "AE" version of the fjr ....i've been curious as to what that feels like and what it does to the engine for smooth transition.

how about downshifting? Me: Habit of using the clutch most of the time, but the FJR can be downshifted pretty smoothly without the clutch ..but it takes some practice and I haven't taken the time to become proficient or devlop a habit of it. Not as easy as upshifting.

My copy of Sport Rider April 2007 has a tech article on this subject (should be on newstands). Basic concepts I gleened: they debunk the idea that clutchless upshifting (when done well) will hurt the tranny, is easier and in some situations (e.g. heeled ovr in a tight right hander), is a safer option. The editors have been doing it for years on many bikes and many thousands of miles and no problems, racers regularly upshift this way, the electric shift devices shift this way, yada yada. They give simple instructions to preload the lever with 2-4 pounds pressure from your boot, back off the throttle A SMALL AMOUNT and quickly back on the gas and the shift happens sweet as pie. They suggest doing it at low speeds in a parking lot to get the hang of it, but once you do you probably won't go back. They use the clutch on downshifts because meshing gear speeds id harder.... I'm going to try learning the technique.

Caveat emptor...I read this while still under the effects of heavy drugs post-op today ;-)

Like RenoJohn did, here's my breakdown on % using the clutch:

Neutral --> 1st = 100%

1st --> 2nd = 50%

2nd --> 3rd= 25%

3rd --> 4th = 10%

4th --> 5th = 5%

I have a slightly different point of view and opinion on this subject. While it is true that the gears in the transmission are constantly in mesh the shift dogs are not. When the dogs are moved while under load to "change gears" some mismatch and resulting wear will occur. The racers and experts quoted in these articles we all read don't usually own these tranmissons so they don't have quite the same incentive to use the clutch that we working stiffs do. The manufacturers of our bikes put clutches on them in order to allow us to get moving from a stop and to change gears. Unless you are trying to save time while racing what is the point of not using a device provided by the manufacturer that will make shifting easier and reduce some wear on a very expensive major component? This is just my opinion of course.

Dave

this way, the electric shift devices shift this way, yada yada.
If you mean the AE, it does use the clutch on every gear change.

My Trophy handbook said not to do clutchless gearchanges, but I frequently did. Get it right and it's as smooth as silk. Get it wrong - oh, dear!

^^^ once you are in 1st gear and moving the clutch does not make shifting easier or reduce wear on anything. If anything, clutchless shifts reduce wear on the clutch.

I usually use the clutch for the 1st-2nd gear shift but rarely from there on up. Almost always on downshifts.

Just a quick flick of the old right right wrist and up we go!!

Been doing clutchless shifts on every bike I have owned since 1972 and never, ever had a problem.

'Nuff said.

The advantage of clutcheless gear changes is obviously smoothness, this will avoid the occasional head butt from your pillion rider. I always use the clutch first to second, then occasionally not at all, but mostly I just dip the lever very slightly which softens the change but isnt as strenuous as a full blown lever-into-the-bars.

I always use the clutch when down shifting.

I use the clutch. I plan on owning my bike for a long time and want the next owner to have it for a long time, too. Since I don't have a team of mechanics on retainer and don't rebuild my bike after every ride, any comparison to how "racers" shift is irrelevant.

If I didn't want to use the clutch I would have traded in my 2003 for a 2006/7 AE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the clutch. I plan on owning my bike for a long time and want the next owner to have it for a long time, too. Since I don't have a team of mechanics on retainer and don't rebuild my bike after every ride, any comparison to how "racers" shift is irrelevant.
If I didn't want to use the clutch I would have traded in my 2003 for a 2006/7 AE.
+1

+2

If anything, clutchless shifts reduce wear on the clutch
The clutch is a consumable like tires, gas and oil, each has a scheduled life span, and used properly will last the rider its scheduled life and more. Using the clutch makes riding effortless and smooth, and takes the guess work out of "did i get it right THIS TIME"?

It's a constant mesh transmission - you don't need it to upshift, or even downshift if you rev match. All 5 gears are always engaged. I use it most of the time.
Please explain to me this "rev match" without using a clutch. First, there isn't any need to rev match, whatever you mean by that, on the way up, brake the load on the gears by a slight drop in the throttle and pull it through. On the way down, unless you like that slam to the drive train, you blip the throttle to match, kinda sorta, the rpm of the engine with the rear wheel speed, clutch and drive train so you don't get slammed with engine deceleration. Yes you can shift without the clutch going down when everything is lightly loaded but there is a definite jerk. Do it while hitting twisties and watch you back end jump and you and machine part company. Recommend look into something on slipper clutches to get a full story on this stuff.

I'm not sure, I guess you guys are all smarter than me on this clutch ?

All I know is that I preload my shifter, and when I squeeze the clutch it engages about the 1/2 way point and the bike shifts, smooth as silk, no bobble, no jerk, almost like a automatic tranny, fast as lightning, just my way of doing things I guess...........hard to teach an old man new tricks, but I like it when my wife wants me to try :yahoo:

been clutchless upshifting on all my bikes since 1970 and have never, ever had any tranmission problems with any of them. It's not difficult to do correctly, easily or smoothly.

Tranmission problems happen most because of power-shifting at higher rpms, and pre-loading the shifter forks.

Comparing "racer shifts" at WFO to everyday shifting at part throttle is kind of a stretch isn't it?

Neutral - 1st, Clutched 99.999% of the time. The fractional percentage is truly embarrassing! :)

2nd - 3rd, Clutched any time there is not another FJR directly beside me.

3rd - 4th, Clutchless 90% of the time. Never clutched when there is a big smile on my face.

4th - 5th, Clutchless 90% of the time. See note above.

I believe that the wear on the clutch at the higher gear changes, exceeds the wear on the shifters. I believe the opposite is typically true in the lower gears. That's my experience from many years racing bikes and having to repair/rebuild what I screw up or wear out.

So I give the tranny a break in the lower gears (there simply HAS to be a dirty joke in there somewhere!) and give the clutch a break in the higher gears. Most of my shifting is done 3-4-5 and 5-4-3, with very few heartbeats ever spent below 3rd gear. IMO that's what the Feej was bred for. :)

My main reasons for clutchless shifting are transition time, transition conditions and mental resources. I can shift faster without the clutch and therefore squeeze off an extra .01 seconds against that HD in my mirror. I can shift smoother with less risk of engine braking or doing anything equally stupid in a racked-up corner. And it's a not-so-short list of things eliminated from what my brain has to coordinate, therefore, leaving more neurons available to process road conditions, my intended path and obvious prey. Gee, that does sound aggressive doesn't it???

Ya'll go back to work now!