Does This Fuel Cell Make My Ass Look Big?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Headed off to Nevada on Thursday evening for the Team Lyle Silver State Round-Up and Nevada (particularly the ET Highway) has this weird field around it that makes FJRs use more gasoline than in other states. I can't truly explain the unusual phenomenon (insert sarcasm smiley here), but my workaround is to just carry a lot more go juice.

That would be a clearance fuel cell from Summit that cost me about $160 delivered, $75 in AN fittings and hoses, and $100 in bracket materials and welding from a Tenere owner that's getting better and better at aluminum. 15 gallons in the cell plus 6.6 gallons on the bike and I'm sporting enough fuel capacity to surpass a $75 credit card limit and make any local HazMat team pull out Tyvec suits! I also have to worry about remember to turn the cell off after the first transfer so I don't spew 8 gallons of precious go juice on the road via overflow hose.

I'm not aware of any FJR ever having 21.6 gallons of capacity before....

No, I won't be riding the rally with the tire on top. It's a backup in case I do extra bad things to the new Road Smart II mounted and will stay behind at Rally HQ. And I'll be riding without side bags and light as I reasonably can for this particular event.

See you in 2 days Alamo, Nevada.

fjrbigcell.JPG

Wow! That setup is da bomb! Y'all please don't fall over.

AtomicEngine.jpg

Also, I hope your frame don't bust a gusset. That's a 100 lbs of gas alone, all well above the center-of-gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That setup is da bomb! Y'all please don't fall over.
AtomicEngine.jpg

Also, I hope your frame don't bust a gusset. That's a 100 lbs of gas alone, all well above the center-of-gravity.
Been riding around locally at sub-FJR-nominal speeds and with the wheel on top I do feel it a bit...but not as much as I expected. Commute down will be with nearly empty cell and I'll lose the wheel and sidebags once I get there. Since I was setup for 35 pounds of fuel, 25 pounds of Pelican, miscellaneous other stuff, and will be running without sidebags on a mostly straight ride...it's probably a 40 pound net addition....up a bit higher. And I have beefed up the rear sub frame as well.

I will, however, be interested to see how it does as FJR nominal. In my wind tunnel simulator (my mind) my body is still the tallest part of things and the cell is about two inches higher (but farther forward) than my old Pelican. I'm hopeful it doesn't make the rear end wiggle...and will ramp up slowly.

I like to think of it as the equivalent of a 120 pound pillion with really big boobs and no legs. ;)

That... is not something I would do. But I am very impressed with the level of chutzpah you're displaying here. Best of luck!

Oh... did you plan to catheterize yourself for this or just wear some Depends? 'cause you sure as hell aren't going to have to stop for gas between pee breaks so why stop at all?
tonguesmiley.gif

Oh... did you plan to catheterize yourself for this or just wear some Depends? 'cause you sure as hell aren't going to have to stop for gas between pee breaks so why stop at all?
tonguesmiley.gif
If things go according to plan I'll have premium pee break opportunities (that means nobody else on the road where I have to stop anyway) every 3 hours. Otherwise, I can stop most anywhere and not worry about anything but milling cows....it will be much like this picture from last year: (for those forensic 'Where's Waldo' experts...this picture shows many things including an oncoming rider at speed, cows with a "Don't Walk" signal, a mile sign to Rachel, and the straightness of it all...this picture IS what its like to ride the ET Highway)

20130518-184648.jpg

Being rather frugal myself, I understand the fuel cell bought on clearance. And, if the weight is too clumsy back there you could always just fill it part way, though that would take some self-restraint. I assume it has baffles or something inside to prevent sloshing. I've seen top trunks that look bigger and they seem fine, so it's really only the weight that may be an issue.

Yes, it makes your ass look big.
smile.png

Good luck on your ride.

I have heard of loaded up fuel cells causing some people to tip over...not gonna name any names...so watch the extra weight.

tonguesmiley.gif
If things go according to plan I'll have premium pee break opportunities (that means nobody else on the road where I have to stop anyway) every 3 hours. Otherwise, I can stop most anywhere and not worry about anything but milling cows....it will be much like this picture from last year: (for those forensic 'Where's Waldo' experts...this picture shows many things including an oncoming rider at speed, cows with a "Don't Walk" signal, a mile sign to Rachel, and the straightness of it all...this picture IS what its like to ride the ET Highway)

20130518-184648.jpg
Hmm.. looks like 8200 RPMs
whistle.gif
- of course, you were only in 3rd gear, so it's cool. And finding a place to pee in NV isn't all that hard. :lol:

Hmm.. looks like 8200 RPMs
whistle.gif
- of course, you were only in 3rd gear, so it's cool. And finding a place to pee in NV isn't all that hard.
laugh.png
7200 I believe...but us Gen 1's wind out more RPM than most.

I assume it has baffles or something inside to prevent sloshing.
Came with foam like all those weekend NASCAR 1/4 mile dirt track drivers like from Summit. No sloshy!

Have a safe adventure and like someone else said, I hope that fuel cell has baffles. (Just noted the NASCAR reference, still it is a bit up in the air eh.)