Driving Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C J

Reaction score
Hey all:

I am looking to get a pair of black round driving lights and after looking at what is out there I am not sure which one is ideal for me. I know some brands are REALLY proud of their lights looking at the amount they charge but I did not know if there is anyone out there that knows of a decent pair of driving lights that I do not need get a second mortgage to pay for. I typically think that you get what you pay for, but now days it seems like various motorcycle accessories are all made similiarly and the labeling is different. Since I am out of my element on these lights out there I was hoping y'all could point me in a direction.

For years, I did \quite well with some smallish automotive lights on a FJR specific bracket.

Forum member Garauld makes some excellent light brackets. Linked Here. He no longer sells the "package" but the brackets are still available. The photos will give you an example.

Go with these guys - I have two sets - one floods and one spots.

They are a fraction of the cost of PIAAs and work just as well.

Trail Tech

HID SCMR16 Floods

HID SCMR16 Spots

Trailtech.net

Technical Support: [email protected]

Phone: (360) 687 - 4530

1600 SE 18th Ave

Battle Ground, WA 98604

It depends on how much light you want to pay for. A pair of HIDs will give you as much light as you can stand, but prices start around $300 a pair.

You can get a pair of automotive style driving lights for much less, and get less light. I use Hella FF50s. They are not the cheapest, but are good quality. look good, hold up well on a motorcycle, and give plenty of light for the riding I do.

That said, I have been thinking about a pair of those Trailtech HIDs mentioned by waltonr1.

HIDs give a lot more light, and draw less power after startup, but they take a few seconds to warm up when you turn them on.

Your '04 doesn't have a lot of electrical output to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you spend a ton of farkle bux on a set of whiz bang aux lights, it is best to determine (in advance) what it is that you hope to accomplish with them.

The "Eyes of Gawd" Lights that are great for illuminating roadside varmints while blasting across the wide open plains out west can't even be turned on when riding with any traffic around (too blinding), so not much use in the more urban areas. And also usually can't be used for improved conspicuity in daylight for the same reason.

What do you want them to do with 'em and where will you ride with them?

The "Eyes of Gawd" Lights that are great for illuminating roadside varmints while blasting across the wide open plains out west can't even be turned on when riding with any traffic around (too blinding), so not much use in the more urban areas. And also usually can't be used for improved conspicuity in daylight for the same reason.
Great advice Fred. My Hella HID's will flash fry the fur right off of something furry on the road, but they have the same affect to the eyeballs of oncoming traffic, even during the day.

But man, when your running after dark on some deserted Northern highway I want all the fire power I can muster.

Before you spend a ton of farkle bux on a set of whiz bang aux lights, it is best to determine (in advance) what it is that you hope to accomplish with them.

What do you want them to do with 'em and where will you ride with them?
The riding I do really does range from both city driving (going to and from work usually in the dark) to cruising on the bike ever chance I get. I would like to increase my overall visibility but also help light up the critters in the roadway.

The power draw is a issue I have been pondering but I have been looking at the lights from a different angle at this point so I could be more open to the different options out there. On the monentary side, I would like to spend a reasonable amount so I can get a good pair of lights but I do not need to have the Rolls Royce of lights mounted on my bike for me to feel good about it. Since my riding varies and reading Walter's post on his lights, Trail Tech HID SCMR16 Floods / HID SCMR16 Spots, No I wonder if the flood is a better light choice for my riding or would spots.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Go with these guys - I have two sets - one floods and one spots.They are a fraction of the cost of PIAAs and work just as well.

Trail Tech

HID SCMR16 Floods

HID SCMR16 Spots

Trailtech.net

Technical Support: [email protected]

Phone: (360) 687 - 4530

1600 SE 18th Ave

Battle Ground, WA 98604
Did you install the lights with the 13W draw or the 30W draw?

I think your solution will depend on your needs - are you wanting to see or be seen?

If you're wanting to be seen, a lot of guys run MotoLites and the sort on their front brake calipers.

If you want to see, the sky is the limit and the primary limiting factor is how deep your pockets are. At one end of the scale, you could go to WallyWorld and get a cheap-O set of lights and fab up a mount, or on the other end you could get a set of platinum-plated HIDs on solid gold mounts that're worth more than the GDP of 1/3 of the countries in the world.

I'm one of the guys running the Hella FF50's on Garauld's brackets. If I wanna be seen during day (and who doesn't?) I run with 'em on, and if I wanna piss off oncoming traffic at night I run with 'em on.

C J - come up to Knoxville for NAFO and you'll see a bunch 'O FJR's and you can see various solutions and pick the brains of the owners (and laugh hysterically at Patriot's air horn mounted on the frame slider). Or go out to Taos for SWFOG.

Purely for additional conspicuity from the front, I would be tempted to add one (or two) of these Whelen TIR3™, Vertical Mounting, White LED modules.

rvc03zcr.jpg

Any of you that were following me around the White Mountains this past weekend can attest to how eye catching-ly bright my rear facing red Whelen LIN3 auxiliary brake light is. The TIR3™ is the wider angle version of the LIN3. For a brake light I'm primarily interested in letting the approaching traffic immediately behind me know I'm there, hence the LIN3. But for forward conspicuousness you'd want the wide angle TIR3 in either white or amber.

Power consumption is only 400ma (~5 watts) per module and the street price is ~$50 each. You could run a pair of those full time and then have a set of high beam only, fur burning HIDs for your down-the-road needs.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: