Easy hot tank solution anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefcrouch

Reaction score
I know it's a well worn subject, but I went for my first warm weather spin (about 90 degrees) on my new (to me) '05 FJR the other day and found that the chestnuts and inner thighs do get a bit toastie. Rather than trying to fix it from underneath, anyone know of a manufacturer that makes an insulated tank bra or other contrivance? I've heard of someone who found a version that had neoprene insulation or some such thing.

I have a Bagster tank cover. Folks have claimed a noticeable difference with it on in terms of heat. I find no change, prolly cuz I don't have a heat issue with this bike, which I believe to be an individual perception, rather than an inherent issue with the bike.

I'm gonna guess that you are under 6' tall or have a short inseam and sit into the tank. The forward slope of the stock seat will add to your tendency to slide up to the tank. Get away from the tank by changing the seat angle - find an upholsterer who can do this or Google up 'Foamectomy'. You could also experiment with foam padding between you and the seat.

There is also a recent thread regarding insulating the underside of the tank. Bounce has a link on his site, IINM.

I had a guy in Boulder Colorado make me one up. He's made several since for other FJR owners. It's fully lined with a felt like material and with closed cell foam on the sides. It does a good job of insulating the rider from the tank heat, but may trap a bit more heat in the tank. I think he's getting $60 - $70 for basic vinyl and up for leather, etc.

The upholsterer's contact info is as follows:

Stan

Boulder Auto Upholstery

Address 1730 38th St

Boulder, CO 80301

Phone (303) 444-5779

Pix Here

I have an '05. I'm not trying to stir crap, but I really never noticed heat from the tank. Yes, there is heat, especially on the left engine side, but no biggie. I, too, sit dang near on the tank.

I remember when I first got this thing. I had a tendency to squeeze the bike pretty good with my legs. The heat was more noticeable then. Now that I am accustomed to the bike and a little more comfortable moving a little and shifting weight around, the issue is gone. At stops or slow speeds, I ease back a little in the saddle. At speeds, just a little angle change with your ankle takes care of low-end heat.

Everyone seems to be looking for that "perfect" bike. Well, if you find it, let me know. Other than that, give yourself a little time to adapt to the bike. A lot of "issues" may just evaporate.

I know it's a well worn subject, but I went for my first warm weather spin (about 90 degrees) on my new (to me) '05 FJR the other day and found that the chestnuts and inner thighs do get a bit toastie. Rather than trying to fix it from underneath, anyone know of a manufacturer that makes an insulated tank bra or other contrivance? I've heard of someone who found a version that had neoprene insulation or some such thing.
I found a quick and easy way to cool the tank and the family jewels. On the front of the tank on both sides remove the rubber pieces that go between the tank and the frame. It makes it a whole lot better. I ride in 100+ degree days and have no problems since removing them. At first I thought it would burn up my knees, but it does not do that at all. Maybe not the best solution, but it works like a charm.

I'm looking for help with this, too.

The chestnut roaster is not a problem for me until I ride two up.

I took a long ride with the wife in 90 degree So. FL weather this

weekend and I could really feel the heat on my left inner thigh.

The Bagster seems like much more than what I need.

The Boulder upholsterer's work looks real good and seems like the

easiest, simplest, least expensive way to go.

Unless I can find something better... :glare:

spend ten minutes and take the rubber thingies out on both sides between the frame rails and the tank.

If you follow the side of the tank down on either side of gas cap you will see them.

This allows the heat from under the tank to vent and the tank stays much cooler.

Was discussed in much detail last year when I first brought it up to forum members.

spend ten minutes and take the rubber thingies out on both sides between the frame rails and the tank.
If you follow the side of the tank down on either side of gas cap you will see them.

This allows the heat from under the tank to vent and the tank stays much cooler.

Was discussed in much detail last year when I first brought it up to forum members.
I did the same thing and was very happy with the result, it definately does help keep the tank cooler. But if you spend any time riding with the shield up in warm/hot weather you'll be sorry. What happens is when the shield is up, a slight negative pressure pocket is formed right about where your body is. All that heat escaping from under the tank is sucked right into it and you flat out cook. It's actually a nice heater in the winter and as long as your shield is down in the summer it's not a big deal. Personally, I put my rubber plugs back in and insulated the tank.

We tried this last weekend on my wife's FJR. She said her legs were burning up, especially the left one and there was terrible wind turbulence she has never experienced before. She hated it, so I had to put them back in right away.

Oh, well, worth a try.

Tom