Final Drive Swap: 6th gear solution?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearly all factory speedometers read higher than actual ground speed. IIRC it's to avoid liability issues from people whining because they got a ticket.
In our (UK, probably EU) case, it's a legal requirement that they must not read slow. I would expect Yamaha to read this across to all markets, whether their laws require it or not.

I really did not notice any MPG difference with the final gear ratio change. I just wanted to slightly lower revs when buzzing along the slabs for long distances. On my 05 the speedo reading is sensed off a transmission gear hence the need for the Speed Healer to bring the read out to the correct value. So far (about 20K miles now) the new gear change has worked great!

Nice mod find! and glad it has helped people enjoy their highway riding a bit more. I often searched for another gear on '04. My '08 just seems perfect. Like another guy said for me, in twisty riding, I wouldn't want 3rd gear any taller than it is because 2nd is just too high strung on the same roads.

Just got mine last week. I just need the piles of snow to disappear so i can test it out!

Just got mine last week. I just need the piles of snow to disappear so i can test it out!
Easy installation, but still waiting on the snow to let up. I should have an "informed" opinion after a shakedown, then the Cape Fear 1K in a couple of weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to do this on my snowmobiles all the time and hence how I got my nick-name 30 years ago.

We did it for the frozen lakes (drags). Top-end or Top-Speed would always win as hole-shots could easily be compensated for with the distance of 2mi or sometimes more. The 5's were just lay down and keep the aerodynamics as clean as possible.

On your FJR however, I would just enjoy it as the Mfgr intended. I'm sure they did extensive T&E/R&D and found the sweet spot for each gear. I will agree that the top side as being "buzzy", but so what, I see some remedy's here to help offset that as well.

But then again?..... I like playing.... Tweak away fellers
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to your assessment, Dudeckp!

Nearly 1 year later, I've got about 5400 Miles on my FD gear swap with no issues... I'm reminded of this ratio change every time I ride it. And yes, I've got a Speedo-Healer installed so my rpms reflect the change (~3000 at 60 mph). I did install new tires recently so I'm going to recheck the rolling radius of the rear tire and compare it to my original calculations which used a half-worn Mich PR2.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Back to final drive mods, has anyone with Genlll done the final drive mod? When doing the install, is there any issue with using the current shaft? Are the Venture parts new or used? Will RMSportsMax provide a new or like new condition pumpkin? I now have a 190/55 PR2 rear tire and my speedo is in sync with my GPS. If I were to go with the final drive mod, will it disrupt my MPH accuracy? I'm on a 2014ES.

I now have a 190/55 PR2 rear tire and my speedo is in sync with my GPS. If I were to go with the final drive mod, will it disrupt my MPH accuracy? I'm on a 2014ES.
I believe speed is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor, not the gearbox, so speedometer calibration will not change.

OK folks I have now had an opportunity to test the results of the Royal Venture final drive conversion. Keep in mind, I am running a 190/55 rear tire. Prior to the conversion the speedo was running dead on with the GPS. At 4000rpm the speedo was at 78mph. At 4000rpm I am now at 83mph. All five gears are now a bit taller but it will be easy to get adjusted to the change. I find it a bit sluggish in 5th in touring mode but in sport mode it is very snappy. I have a 4000+ mile trip planned for May. After that I will be able to determine the full merits of the conversion. No longer feel the need for that 6the gear!!

I'll be waiting to hear your review of the new transmission. When I first got my FJR, I felt immediately that the bike needed a 6th gear or a taller 5th gear. Over time I've decided that the bike's transmission is great the way it was designed. I figured I could get a little better gas mileage with a taller 5th gear because I'm a cheap ass. For what it would cost for time and expense experimenting with the gears, I could buy a lot of gas with that money. The 5 speed transmission in my 08 is just perfect.

OK folks I have now had an opportunity to test the results of the Royal Venture final drive conversion. Keep in mind, I am running a 190/55 rear tire. Prior to the conversion the speedo was running dead on with the GPS. At 4000rpm the speedo was at 78mph. At 4000rpm I am now at 83mph. All five gears are now a bit taller but it will be easy to get adjusted to the change. I find it a bit sluggish in 5th in touring mode but in sport mode it is very snappy. I have a 4000+ mile trip planned for May. After that I will be able to determine the full merits of the conversion. No longer feel the need for that 6the gear!!
I will also be waiting to hear your report on mileage since your odometer has not been affected by the change (unlike the 1st Genners who need to use a speedo healer) any difference in your mileage will be "real".

I thought I'd pop my head in here and add a comment. I've dealt with John Furbur (Owner of RMSportMax in Catasaqua) for several years. He's an honest, knowledgeable, and reliable guy that you can trust. He's also quite accommodating. I bought my FJR from him, and he works on my VMax.

I can't comment on the gear swap, but thought you might like some feedback on John.

Cheers!

Zobie thread alert!

So has anybody tried the taller final drive gearing swap in a Gen 3.6 FJR yet?

I have a RMS pumpkin waiting for either a leftover 2016 or the new 2018, just hadn't made my mind up yet or seen the new 18 in person. As soon as I put 1k miles on my new ride I'll be trying it.