Final Drive Swap: 6th gear solution?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zobie thread alert!

So has anybody tried the taller final drive gearing swap in a Gen 3.6 FJR yet?
I bet it will improve torque, acceleration, fuel mileage and top speed. Amazing that Yamaha expert engineers never thought of it!
You forget the most important improvement...it will make the Gen 3.6 FJR an absolute chick magnet.

Zobie thread alert!

So has anybody tried the taller final drive gearing swap in a Gen 3.6 FJR yet?
I bet it will improve torque, acceleration, fuel mileage and top speed. Amazing that Yamaha expert engineers never thought of it!

Well they must be stupid like you!!!
bye.gif
:finger:

I believe I read somewhere that the Gen3.6 6sp is taller than the 5sp earlier gen’s. Ie: at 4000rpm just over 80mph? If this is not the case, installing the Royal Ventue f/d would be a plus. Also, going to a 190/55 rear tire will correct the speedo. As stated in an earlier thread, the Royal Venture f/d + 190/55 rear tire resulted in a 5mph gain over stock set up. Mod was done when bike had 5k miles on clock. the miles are now at 28k and my overall mpg is now 47.8.

We need to get Warchild to install the tall gear final drive on his brand new '18 FJR. Then get him to mount a car tire. For the ultimate hyper-mile cruiser.

I installed the taller FD gear mod on my '05 many years ago and ran that configuration for so 30K miles. At first I thought it was the cats meow especially while cruising out west on the freeway. However I did not like changing the total gearing especially in first gear when starting off going up hill and definitely when riding 2-up in that situation. Had to be very aware not to stall the motor and had to slip the clutch more then I liked , again especially when riding 2-up. I switched back to the original stock FD this past Summer and don't think I'll make the change again. Just my 2 cents worth!