Final Drive Swap: 6th gear solution?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've all heard of the DarkSiders and the FatSiders. So, these gearing converts... what shall we call them?
They are gearing up, perhaps they are the "Up-Siders"?
unsure.png
You could call them the "All this work for 300RPM Siders"

Well, Mamma Yamma thought that was significant, because that is about how much she changed the gearing from 1st gen to 2nd (and 3rd).

But that change happened at the middle gear and would not be an easy field mod. Swapping out the final drive is fairly simple. Just ask any modern Beemer riders...
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see some benefit for long distance cruising on the highway. You would be very slightly slower off the starting block but after that, I couldn't see any issues. For up-shifting and rapid acceleration, there would be no difference because you are shifting at the same RPM (but at slightly higher speed for each gear). You might have a slightly greater need to downshift to 4th before attempting a fast pass on the highway. I used to own a Yamaha RSV and the swap to the Vmax final drive was a fairly popular modification. It provided a little more oomph to get going and reduced the need to downshift for passing or steep hills at the expense of higher RPM at cruise. I was never tempted on the Venture and would only consider it on the FJR if it was going to make a large difference in fuel economy (unlikely).

Installed the revised ratio FD. Installed a SpeedHealer. Love the mod. Thanks Mr BR for the great tip and info.!
Alright! Glad to hear it... I haven't pulled the trigger on the SpeedoHealer yet but I plan to. In the meantime, my daily commute is still yielding me the same ~40mpg as before, tho' one tank WAS in the upper 30's but that was due to some short trips and my heavy throttle hand. Otherwise, I'm loving the extra "stretch" I have in each gear due to this gearing change; it just feels correct to me now. Next on the list will be an oil/filter change and a different windshield at some point to replace the scratched up stocker (and it's a bit short still at full extension).

Mr. BR

Very interesting topic. Having read the entire subject here, I am curious to know if I go to a 190/55 rear tire will I gain about the same result as changing the final drive gearing? Keep in mind I am dealing with a GenIII. On a recent road trip I compared the speedo to my GPS and the speedo is 2 MPH fast. I believe it was Fairlaner (Richard) who stated using a 190/55 rear tire put the speedo dead on with the GPS.

Very interesting topic. Having read the entire subject here, I am curious to know if I go to a 190/55 rear tire will I gain about the same result as changing the final drive gearing? Keep in mind I am dealing with a GenIII. On a recent road trip I compared the speedo to my GPS and the speedo is 2 MPH fast. I believe it was Fairlaner (Richard) who stated using a 190/55 rear tire put the speedo dead on with the GPS.
If you up the rear (fatside) to a 190/55, you will downplay the dreamometer by ~2mph.

Having read the entire subject here, I am curious to know if I go to a 190/55 rear tire will I gain about the same result as changing the final drive gearing?
Not even close, FD change is approximately a 10% reduction. Tire change is ~1.7%.

--G

Just ordered from John. Anyone else that's actually done this have an opinion on keeping the stock drive vs return to RMS for the core refund?

I kept my stock ratio 'just because' I guess. I've had the new setup I bought from John and luv it. I do quite a bit of long distance riding and lots on the slabs and it works out well. Used a 'speed healer' to recalibrate the speedo so all I well on that end as well.

Why was your speedo off? Isn't speed determined by the ABS sensor? Even on GenI bikes, I don't think speed is measured by gear ratios? Am I missing something, thinking wrong, or you just added a Speed Healer to fix the normal tolerance?

Why was your speedo off? Isn't speed determined by the ABS sensor? Even on GenI bikes, I don't think speed is measured by gear ratios? Am I missing something, thinking wrong, or you just added a Speed Healer to fix the normal tolerance?
The GenI uses a gearbox speed sensor. Remember the early ones didn't have ABS, so no sensor.

Nearly all factory speedometers read higher than actual ground speed. IIRC it's to avoid liability issues from people whining because they got a ticket.

Just ordered from John. Anyone else that's actually done this have an opinion on keeping the stock drive vs return to RMS for the core refund?
Hey! My old thread still has a little life....!!

I exchanged my FD with RMS for the re-geared unit just to reduce my out-of-pocket cost. AND, there are always a bunch of FD units on Flea-bay if I ever wanted to go back to the original gears. My re-geared '05 is still doing great and have no regrets on the gearing change... absolutely love it. Got a set of PR3s waiting to go on so I'll probably re-check my speedo-healer while I'm at it.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting project. 45 mpg is fine with me and the 5K rpm at 80ish seems natural for a bike intended for sport touring. There is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd gear in tight twisty stuff that this probably makes wider. Think US 129 or some Arkansas roads we enjoy. Droning along in long distance ventures does not decrease mpg on my 2005. Advantage is ?

What was the verdict on MPG after the gear swap?
For me, I'd say little or no change. 99% of my riding is commuting, 16 miles each way and about 10 miles of that is freeway. That's two cold starts each day and I'm still getting a consistent 40 mpg each tank, slightly better in warmer weather and using only Regular gas. I haven't taken any long trips that would really test its mileage out on the open road tho' I'm sure I can easily get 45+. As I stated in my earlier posts, the gearing change was really just a personal preference for a few less revs going down the road with essentially zero consideration given to getting better mpg or making my engine last longer (which would be silly of course). For shaft drive bikes such as these, FD gearing changes are uncommon and, although expensive, I'd do it again on any other FJR I may own in the future. I DO plan on getting my '05 out of town this summer and I will check the MPG just for grins...

Mr. BR