Engine sliders save the day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isuftin

Reaction score
Driving down a straight road at about 20-25 mph, 2 lanes on each side of the road. Woman pulls out of the shopping center on the right, trying to make a left turn. For some unknown reason stops right in my path waiting for traffic from the right to clear. Smart. Sees me screeching to a stop and just sits there wincing. I have to do a fast stop and also arc left a bit in order to avoid the front-left side of her car. I come to a stop but my bike was leaning over way too far and I gently laid it down on the left side. I get up, turn the bike off, the woman is sitting there apologizing like crazy, tells me she's going to go get her car out of the way of traffic and come back, and just takes off. Nice. A cop pulls up within a minute (he just happened to be in the traffic behind me), and helps me pick up the bike.

The Bad News: The woman never came back.

The Good News: Not a scratch anywhere on the bike. Not even on the side case!!! My engine sliders saved the day (and possibly my leg)!! The ground wore off a small bit of the slider. I just rotated it 180 degrees and it's ready for another laydown!

Driving down a straight road at about 20-25 mph, 2 lanes on each side of the road. Woman pulls out of the shopping center on the right, trying to make a left turn. For some unknown reason stops right in my path waiting for traffic from the right to clear. Smart. Sees me screeching to a stop and just sits there wincing. I have to do a fast stop and also arc left a bit in order to avoid the front-left side of her car. I come to a stop but my bike was leaning over way too far and I gently laid it down on the left side. I get up, turn the bike off, the woman is sitting there apologizing like crazy, tells me she's going to go get her car out of the way of traffic and come back, and just takes off. Nice. A cop pulls up within a minute (he just happened to be in the traffic behind me), and helps me pick up the bike.

The Good News: Not a scratch anywhere on the bike. Not even on the side case!!! My engine sliders saved the day (and possibly my leg)!! The ground wore off a small bit of the slider. I just rotated it 180 degrees and it's ready for another laydown!
Glad it was low speed and you got stopped in time. Would have been great to have gotten her plate but not sure what you could have done even if you had it...

you lucked out, some days you eat the bear,some days the bear its you,glad both you and you baby are okay

What type of sliders do you have that worked so well. I'm curious because I just ordered a set of Motivation sliders for both my FZ1 and my FJR but the sliders for the FJR are on back order waiting for production. If yours worked so well may cancel my order and get something different.

What type of sliders do you have that worked so well. I'm curious because I just ordered a set of Motivation sliders for both my FZ1 and my FJR but the sliders for the FJR are on back order waiting for production. If yours worked so well may cancel my order and get something different.
Abercrombie:

I'm waiting for Motovation too (been 4 weeks now).

I just came across T-Rex no cut Sliders and am looking pretty seriously at them.

I'm also searching the forum to see if anybody has heard/used them.

Just FYI...might be worth a look

T-Rex Sliders for FJR

Abercrombie:

I just came across T-Rex no cut Sliders and am looking pretty seriously at them.

T-Rex Sliders for FJR

I just installed T Rex and they look good but I won't test them for you! They do have a metal insert in them and came with a grade 12 bolt. Look heavy duty but I am new to sport tourers so I have not compared any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abercrombie:

T-Rex Sliders for FJR

I just installed T Rex and they look good but I won't test them for you! They do have a metal insert in them and came with a grade 12 bolt. Look heavy duty but I am new to sport tourers so I have not compared any others.

Six:

I searched the forum...and I just ordered a set from T-Rex. I wouldn't want to test them either, but I'm excited to find what I was looking for in a slider for $100 less than Motovation (and over 100 less then bike-design).

:yahoo:

I read the Zoe post about sliders, and ordered the OES Accesories ones yesterday for the 2009 I just picked up. Never had them on my 2005 and I had the paint scratches to prove it. The OES are 50 bucks plus 8 for shipping

OES

Ordered the OES sliders 2 weeks ago, they came to me in 3 days and they look great. Under $50 for '08. Not looking forward to the real test but I will be ready!

That T-Rex link takes you to a site that attempts to install malware on your machine while pretending to be a virus scanner!!

BEWARE

I searched for them on google and came up with this... $20 plus shipping for sliders!! WOW

t-rex for 06-09

hmmm... checked that first link again and it didnt make the attempt to install malware again... not sure what happened the first time.

A pox on the woman for taking off.

A pox on the woman for taking off.
FYI:

OES doesn't have sliders for Gen I. The Gen II Sliders do look nice though. But I understand that nearly everyone and their grandmother sells Gen II sliders (and I'm guessing that if Gen I owners wanna cut into their precious plastic - the gen II sliders would probably work).

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what T-Rex parts look like and how they fit. And saving $100 didn't hurt none. B)

If you guys would have searched for the T-Rex sliders, or would have asked before purchasing, you would have found this: Defective T-Rex Slider Link

I'll never understand the idea of buying a $12,000 piece of machinery and then spending $20 to protect it. Cheaper is not always better. Good luck.

If you guys would have searched for the T-Rex sliders, or would have asked before purchasing, you would have found this: Defective T-Rex Slider Link
I'll never understand the idea of buying a $12,000 piece of machinery and then spending $20 to protect it. Cheaper is not always better. Good luck.
Yes, we saw that (and hopefully read the entire thread)...It reads like they had a bad batch of delrin sliders two years ago, replaced under warranty.

I agree, $20 ain't diddley, and if I had a Newer Gen II, i'd be looking at all of the options.

As an 05 owner, I'm excited as all get out to save $100 for what appears to be a competent product.

And should I hit the pavement with any speed on, slider aren't going to save my butt or my ride. :rolleyes:

Just my $.02.

I have OES sliders.

The Delrin sliders work just fine (yup...$20 a side is all it costs). They wear away in contact with the road and you can replace them very cheaply. Indeed, my supplier (can't remember who at the moment) will allow you to buy a single side to replace one damaged in a lay down. Mine have been down once now and they were structurally fine. So is the bike BTW.

Nothing wrong with these babies as far as I can tell. Black plastic sliders on a black plastic bike. Looks like they belong there.

Cheers,

W2

I'm glad you didn't sustain any damage to your bike. That's great, but IMHO, the "day saving" was done by your riding skill and the fact that you were riding a top notch machine in good condition.

Shame on the lowlife that caused an accident then left the scene. Hopefully she will be rewarded for her integrity. :angry:

I had to laugh before I ordered the Motivation Sliders I had my heart set on Meissner Protectors from Wild Hair Accessories. They are $160.00 a set but I thought what the heck only the best if half good enough and they look great. I call to make the order and the guy from Wild Hair says he doesn't want to sell them to me cause he thought they were inferior to the GSG Crash Protectors that they sell for $40.00 less. I guess I’ll have to call back and order them if Motivation doesn’t kick it in the ass. The Motivation sliders for my FZ1 arrived in under a week, they appear sturdy and look great so I can’t figure out what’s going on.