EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WATCH OUT FOR ELK!!!...There is a pretty good population of Elk between Maggie Valley & Cherokee now.

I took this past Monday off work and rode the BRP and right at the intersection of the Parkway & Hwy 19 in Maggie Valley there was a 500+ lb Elk in the road. A few miles later were three more.

If anyone likes to get off the bike and do some short walks to either Overlooks or Waterfalls you may be interested in reading my RR from Monday where I highlight several spots in this area.

Chasing Waterfalls & Sunshine

Lots of great roads to ride, sights to see and places to explore in this area.

Now that is a big-ass wood rat...
weirdsmiley.gif

WATCH OUT FOR ELK!!!...There is a pretty good population of Elk between Maggie Valley & Cherokee now.
I took this past Monday off work and rode the BRP and right at the intersection of the Parkway & Hwy 19 in Maggie Valley there was a 500+ lb Elk in the road. A few miles later were three more.

I'm headed to Maggie Valley this Saturday on my way to Savannah for a training week. I'm not staying in the EOM hotel, staying in the Johnathan Creek Inn, like I do every year, but I'll scout out the other one while I'm there.

Maybe we can catch one for the Saturday nite BBQ that we need to arrange................
Stew. The tradition is deer but elk should do. And mustn't forget squirrel meat without which old timers will tell you no stew is complete . We can bag a few on the road with our FJRs.

Went through Maggie Valley today in work vehicle.Can-Am spyders are up there now. I think they are only lacking 2 or 3 of all that were manufactured they had a monster parking lot filled and the roads were filled with them.

Drove through there yesterday heading home with the family from Florida. A lot of north bound traffic so we got off the highway and rode the back roads. There where a ton of bikes and perfect weather. I gotta make Eom now!

Cherohala Skyway sounds like my cup of tea! We'll talk at one of the liquid refreshment stands at the hotel. I'd like to tag along and enjoy that ride. :)

Cherohala is a great ride! Rode it this past April. Some twisties, sweepers, and straightaways to let loose on. There was a 100 foot or so section under construction, with gravel and down to one lane, hopefully it's fixed by now. TN. Hwy 68 (The Sidewinder) is another good one. Of course GA hwy 60 is a must! Not sure if it has a moniker or not, but I would call it The Constrictor!

I was there 2 weeks ago for the 1st time, Wonderful area and can't wait till September gets here.

I spent one night in Knoxvile, then Robinsville, then the next night stayed in Maggie Valley. I rode Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon, and went to Clingmans Dome.

As someone who lives where the streets are straight, I was a little intimidated by the Dragon , but really wasn't much to it once you get into a rhythm its kind of relaxing, actually.

Cherohala was a blast, I got behind a couple on Sportbikes and followed them the whole way, didnt' stop for any of the overlooks because I was having so much fun.. We were all starting to stand on the pegs by the end to give our tush's a rest. (You guys that can do 500 miles of twisties in a day have my respect, I'm candy ass)

It was cool as hell to me how cold it got going up the road to Clingmans, it got COLD and in may, my visor was fogging. I'm from around Mobile, AL, we get hot and swampy for May.

My favorite and most butt puckering was the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Maggie Valley around Waterrock Knob. Something about the no guard-rails and the elevation, it was breathtaking to me... and the one place I didnt' have a camera Really, realy looking forward to it :)

QUESTION: Should we go ahead and reserve a room now?

You can if you want to. Just call the hotel and tell them it's for the EOM. They'll know all about it. That's what I did. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite and most butt puckering was the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Maggie Valley around Waterrock Knob. Something about the no guard-rails and the elevation, it was breathtaking to me... and the one place I didnt' have a camera Really, realy looking forward to it
smile.png
My wife enjoying the views atop Waterrock Knob.

WaterrockKnob-1_zps82613d55.jpg

Some idiot taking a picture at same location. lol

WatterrockKnobII_zps84cb8880.jpg

One of my favorite overlooks on the entire BRP. Well worth taking a few minutes to soak in the views here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Texas and new to FJR's. Would love to make a rally this year and EOM looks like my cup of tea - situated in the smokey mountains. Do you welcome folks west of the Mississippi?