EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran around town doing errands this morning. About 150 miles. Stopped about a half dozen times. Bike it in tip top shape. I'm ready to go. Going to finish packing now! See you all this weekend. I'll let Philjet09 buy me a beer (or two). :)

We are leaving Thursday afternoon and slabbing it down to EOM. I am planning at arriving at our destination in Sapire Valley in the evening. Hopefully all goes well and we will see you at the banquet.

New fork rebuild new brakes and new tires. I am hoping the rear shock holds out since I didn't have time to replace it. Also hoping my wifes back holds out with the worn out shock.

Dave & Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Routes downloaded and installed on my GPS. AssistanceList updated on my GPS. Line's got my big bag... er, I had heard it when I said it, and is getting her stuff ready for me to haul down while she takes the fast way via air.

Spotwalla page created (I'll start the thread in a second). Just packing up and getting some out of country medical tomorrow.

I'll be on the road Tues. afternoon for the first major trip with the '13.
punk.gif

Routes downloaded and installed on my GPS. AssistanceList updated on my GPS. Line's got my big bag... er, I had heard it when I said it, and is getting her stuff ready for me to haul down while she takes the fast way via air.
Spotwalla page created (I'll start the thread in a second). Just packing up and getting some out of country medical tomorrow.

I'll be on the road Tues. afternoon for the first major trip with the '13. :punk:
Tally Ho!!!!! May all the asphalt under your wheels be dry! :)

EOM Noob question:

How are the group rides arranged?

I enjoy running at a spirited pace through the twisty bits, not drag racing the straights, and have NO pride about better riders getting down the road ahead of me.

Nikk

EOM Noob question:

I enjoy running at a spirited pace through the twisty bits, not drag racing the straights, and have NO pride about better riders getting down the road ahead of me.

Nikk
Typically you will hang out in the parking lot in the evening and meet some fellow riders then decide if you actually want to ride with any of them.
bike.gif

Seriously, groups are formed informally. Sometimes I'll make plans with a few others the night before, and other times I'll see who is heading out in the morning for one of the routes that I'd like to ride. Sometimes I ride alone.

EOM Noob question:

Nikk
You got good advice (of course!) but...

Find out how many are in the group prior!

My group at NERDS kept growing and we had to split up the last ride day as we just accumulated too many peeps (mainly in our BS sessions nightly, you always just seem to pickup some more interested riders)... so your cut-off may be different than ours but anything over 6-8 can take some fun out of it. Personally, 4 or 5 of the "same thinking riders as you" makes for a great outing. To me it's all about fun and not just me, but the entire groups big ass smile type of fun... that's what it's all about.

Enjoy all, be safe! I'm jealous as I have to sit this one out :(

There are many ways go about these rides. Last year I wanted to do video and photography on one of the routes which would annoy the crap out of any group I was with. I rode alone but told a group that was riding that route right behind me what I was up to. I ride the mountains a lot but It's still good for us to keep an eye on one another whenever possible.

Bike is Cleaned, Packed, and ready to Rock and Roll. Nuff Said. :))
Damn...not another one. Well if it rains, at least we know who to blame...JSNS
Since the topic has been broached, it looks like pockets of rain are possible, particularly on Saturday....probably going to be typical mountain weather. Clear in one valley, wet in the next.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike is Cleaned, Packed, and ready to Rock and Roll. Nuff Said. :))
Damn...not another one. Well if it rains, at least we know who to blame...JSNS
Since the topic has been broached, it looks like pockets of rain are possible, particularly on Saturday....probably going to be typical mountain weather. Clear in one valley, wet in the next.
wink.png
Scott...not you too...stop yourself!
Sorry, lol...wrong frame of mind. Rode into work this morning in the rain.
laugh.gif

Russell hasn't showed up yet :( Airhawk on the bike. They've still got a couple of hours to get it to me.

Sure glad I didn't pull out of here this morning, -2C and a hard frost. Woke up to the sounds of people scraping their windshields for the first time this year. Last years ride down I left and it was +2C and raining hard, which turned to sleet about 50km south of here, That was balls.

Russell hasn't showed up yet
sad.png
Airhawk on the bike. They've still got a couple of hours to get it to me.
Sure glad I didn't pull out of here this morning, -2C and a hard frost. Woke up to the sounds of people scraping their windshields for the first time this year. Last years ride down I left and it was +2C and raining hard, which turned to sleet about 50km south of here, That was balls.
Thanks for reminding me why we moved to Virginia from New England 14 years ago! Would you believe, some of my neigbors think we have winter down here! We're planning a trip to Virginia beach the weekend after EOM. We was up to PEI, NB, NS & NE in August and the weather was great up there then. I must admitt though I am getting spoiled and now get cold pretty easilly. I don't think I could take a northern winter any more.

Russell hasn't showed up yet
sad.png
Airhawk on the bike. They've still got a couple of hours to get it to me.
IMO this event is one week too late.