Ever been spit on when cutting lanes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know of a specific statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing? Because I don't believe the news report's assertion that it is "illegal if done too fast."

Well, I've been run over, beat up, attempted stabbing, shot at, chain whipped, run off the road, been flipped the bird, beer can threw at me, but never been spit on. Lucky I guess....PM. <>< :dntknw:

Well, I've been run over, beat up, attempted stabbing, shot at, chain whipped, run off the road, been flipped the bird, beer can threw at me, but never been spit on. Lucky I guess....PM. <>< :dntknw:
Sounds like you're goin' too slow.... :lol: Apply more right wrist twistage.

Ever have anybody cut in line in front of you while you were standing in a line? Pissed you off didn't it? Why not let them cut? You're just sharing the line aren't you? Personally, I can't understand the concept of "lane sharing". Why should somebody on a motorcycle be allowed to go ahead just because his vehicle is smaller? What gives him/her the right to get ahead of other drivers who are being forced to sit there in traffic and wait too? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I can see the point if they're on an aircooled bike and will overheat if they're not allowed to move. But, otherwise, it just looks like cutting to me. I would never even consider "lane sharing". I just wouldn't feel right about it. Sure, go ahead and unleash on me. But, that's where I stand on it.

Ever have anybody cut in line in front of you while you were standing in a line? Pissed you off didn't it? Why not let them cut? You're just sharing the line aren't you? Personally, I can't understand the concept of "lane sharing". Why should somebody on a motorcycle be allowed to go ahead just because his vehicle is smaller? What gives him/her the right to get ahead of other drivers who are being forced to sit there in traffic and wait too? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I can see the point if they're on an aircooled bike and will overheat if they're not allowed to move. But, otherwise, it just looks like cutting to me. I would never even consider "lane sharing". I just wouldn't feel right about it. Sure, go ahead and unleash on me. But, that's where I stand on it.
Hey I think we've just been spat upon! :lol:

Actually there's a big difference between lane sharing and cutting in line. Nobody is having their "place" taken or being delayed. In fact lane sharing relieves congestion and everybody benifits. Including all the miserable bastards stuck in line. :p

:lol:

Well since it is not legal in your state, you would not understand. Does Ohio actually have traffic congestion? I have seen too many motorcyclists get rammed from behind in stop-go traffic. LANE SHARING gets you out of that death zone, and when done safely, it is an awesome way to get through traffic.

Ask your sig other to give back your nards and you will understand.

Because they can..............why shouldn't they?

It's not as if there are hundreds of bikes passing and causing a mamoth tailback, its just the odd one because we are outnumbered 25-1 (or more).

I did it at weekend. Passed a line about a mile long. That allowed me to enjoy my ride out on my bike instead of sitting for 40 minutes of it in a queue. I got no hostility, and when I reached the front of the queue who were on red at road works traffic lights. I was waved through when the lights went green by the car driver at the front. It took me 10-15 minutes to pass the whole thing at 15 mph.

Well, I guess I knew that was coming. I understand all the reasons given and, for the most part, agree with them. Let's just say I was playing the devil's advocate and trying to give you the perception of the spitter. For the record, I'm still in complete ownership of my "nards".

I do a very short (3 mile) commute through heavy city traffic. In a car it takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. On the bike, between 10 and 15 minutes. I reckon I'm doing all the car drivers a favour by better than halving the conjestion I am causing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Does anyone know of a specific statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing? Because I don't believe the news report's assertion that it is "illegal if done too fast."
There is none, which is what has been stated umpteen times in this thread. The 'call' to ticket you is completely up to the discretion of the observing LEO. Period. If he thinks you are going too fast, he'll nail you for unsafe speed for road conditions and or reckless and good luck contesting it.

Boy, I haven't been in this thread for quite some time and regret coming in here for a look. There's some dense folks in these parts raising systolics of others.

I may have to leave now and not come back....as I have this irresitable urge to spli.........uh.....I mean share open some peoples' heads.

......Back to my happy place. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is none, which is what has been stated umpteen times in this thread. The 'call' to ticket you is completely up to the discretion of the observing LEO. Period. If he thinks you are going too fast, he'll nail you for unsafe speed for road conditions and or reckless and good luck contesting it.
I don't know how many umpteen is. If you take a minute to listen to the news report that started the thread, you'll hear the reporter imply that it's illegal to share lanes if you're going too fast. I said I don't believe it because I know of no statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing.

You know for a fact that there is no statute or vehicle-code provision covering lane-sharing?

For crying out loud! Folks. Google is your friend!

And sorry there 'Nut. I thought you were right with your "sharing" vs. "splitting", but seeing as the California Highway Patrol website uses the term "lane splitting", I think you are on pretty weak ground.

Ok, off we go then:

From the California Highway Patrol website, here are two identical references that state, "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner." Note: They don't say anything about the practice being specifically legal, nor do they cite any specific vehicle code that specifically allows it.

Reference #1 - near the bottom

Reference #2 - near the top

For some unofficial information:

Read #6

Just a little way down

And if YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW, spend several days reading the following link in it's entirety, and then you will be all-knowing and powerful. Just like me.

California vehicle code Head right to Divsion 11.

Too-da-loo!

You know for a fact that there is no statute or vehicle-code provision covering lane-sharing?
And news reporters are known for the incredible accumen when it come to matters of law. They're not just pretty faces reading off teleprompters. ;)

Laneshare.org says it quite eloquently:

Lane-sharing is not legal in the US, but it is allowed or tolerated in parts of the country, notably California. The practice is also utilized in other parts of the world, including Europe and Asia.

Notice how it says "not legal" and doesn't say "illegal". There is distinct difference.

And news reporters are known for the incredible accumen when it come to matters of law. They're not just pretty faces reading off teleprompters. ;)

Lane-sharing is not legal in the US, but it is allowed or tolerated in parts of the country, notably California. The practice is also utilized in other parts of the world, including Europe and Asia.

Notice how it says "not legal" and doesn't say "illegal". There is distinct difference.
This being the United States, anything that is not "illegal" is by definition "legal."

Well, actually, that was kind of my point.

Having just moved from Dayton, OH last year (and shook the dirt off my feet in the process), I will say that it's a night-and-day difference out here. And there are plenty of other un-neighborly habits I experienced in Ohio, especially people running up to the last few feet of a lane that's forced to merge rather than just getting over when they first realize they're going to need to. When I first came here, I thought it was illegal when I'd see guys whizzing past me and shake my head. Now that I know it's legal, I do it about 50% of the time I technically could, and I can honestly say I don't feel badly about it at all. The place it happens most are large-volume entrance ramps, which Dayton lacks (even I-75 through downtown has little 1 and 2 lane shorty ramps.) Out here, entrance ramps are MUCH longer and, another difference, regulated by traffic lights to ensure that the highway isn't jammed by people merging in (like what happens every day in downtown along 75 and also down by 675 near the mall). Since traffic lights keeps the highway flowing better, splitting lanes on the entrance ramp isn't as big a deal. You usually have 3 lanes of traffic waiting, and each lane has their own traffic light, taking turns in a cycle. The other huge difference here is splitting to get up to the CARPOOL lane, another concept that the fair Buckeye state hasn't wrapped their heads around, at least not in Cincinnati and Dayton regions.

No flames directed at the original poster, this is more a (wordy) attempt to explain why the perception back there doesn't match the reality out here. You can't isolate it down to a philosophical right/wrong question until you fully understand the context in which it happens out here vs. applying it to your much different scenario back there in humidity-land...

As legal vs. not legal, I was taught in Criminal Law class during my short-lived law enforcement career long ago (medical reasons cut it short), if something is not specifically coded illegal, it is technically legal, but it can always fall under the wider umbrella of general safety/wrecklessness and other "useful tools" that come back to officer-discretion. As an officer, it's your job to keep the peace as you see it, based on your training regarding the UVC (Uniform Vehicle Code) for your jurisdiction etc etc. If you see something unsafe, you address it. If it requires citation in your mind, let the ADA's and the courts sort out the rest.

Now, that's a VERY broad, general statement. I won't sink down into a debate on the merits, it is given as illustration/perspective for the topic, which is getting kinda crazy on splitting hairs. Let's just ride...

We like to take the FREE ferry from Crawford Bay across Kootenai Reservoir just above Nelson/Creston, British Columbia. For years they waved the bikes to the front of the line and used them to fill the little pie-shaped spaces up in the curved bow: first on, first off! It was great. Last time there we rode to the front of the line as always and the ferry attendant said that was not their policy any more. We asked why and they said it was because the cage drivers resented the "special treatment" so much and they raised hell with the authorities and now the rules had changed. In other words, they sacrificed logic and efficiency to placate the resentful.

This sounds exactly like the scenario that could play out in urban traffic congestion areas. Resentment will result in law changes to your disadvantage, logic and efficiency be damned...which of course is why we should all run straight pipes that so piss off the citizens.

Big Sky

If you take a minute to listen to the news report that started the thread, you'll hear the reporter imply that it's illegal to share lanes if you're going too fast. I said I don't believe it because I know of no statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing.
Good god. Anything you do on the road can be illegal if you're going too fast.