Ever been spit on when cutting lanes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you take a minute to listen to the news report that started the thread, you'll hear the reporter imply that it's illegal to share lanes if you're going too fast. I said I don't believe it because I know of no statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing.
You know for a fact that there is no statute or vehicle-code provision covering lane-sharing?
Good god. Anything you do on the road can be illegal if you're going too fast.
We're not talking about anything you can do on the road. We're talking about lane-sharing.

Why does this topic make everyone so hostile?

I don't know how many umpteen is. If you take a minute to listen to the news report that started the thread, you'll hear the reporter imply that it's illegal to share lanes if you're going too fast. I said I don't believe it because I know of no statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing.
You know for a fact that there is no statute or vehicle-code provision covering lane-sharing?
Yes. I know for a fact that there is no statute covering sharing. And that news report is so flawed it's ridiculous. I won't even spend my time to point 'em all out.

For crying out loud! Folks. Google is your friend!
And sorry there 'Nut. I thought you were right with your "sharing" vs. "splitting", but seeing as the California Highway Patrol website uses the term "lane splitting", I think you are on pretty weak ground.

Ok, off we go then:

From the California Highway Patrol website, here are two identical references that state, "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

Reference #1 - near the bottom

Reference #2 - near the top

For some unofficial information:

Read #6

Just a little way down

And if YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW, spend several days reading the following link in it's entirety, and then you will be all-knowing and powerful. Just like me.

California vehicle code Head right to Divsion 11.

Too-da-loo!
You moron. Since when does police terminology (in this case - slang) dictate correctness, policy or statute? Do the police set the law? No. It is still referred to by the State as sharing. As far as your reference to CVC, the only thing I noticed there that you would have any interest in referring would be:

CHAPTER 2, Article 1. Erection and Maintenance
Now, run along and don't forget to play nice with others.

:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever have anybody cut in line in front of you while you were standing in a line? Pissed you off didn't it? Why not let them cut? You're just sharing the line aren't you? Personally, I can't understand the concept of "lane sharing". Why should somebody on a motorcycle be allowed to go ahead just because his vehicle is smaller? What gives him/her the right to get ahead of other drivers who are being forced to sit there in traffic and wait too? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I can see the point if they're on an aircooled bike and will overheat if they're not allowed to move. But, otherwise, it just looks like cutting to me. I would never even consider "lane sharing". I just wouldn't feel right about it. Sure, go ahead and unleash on me. But, that's where I stand on it.
Everytime a cage driver sees a motorcylist sharing lanes instead of taking up space in the line they should think, "Cool, one less person to wait for in line." The fact is that lane sharers don't really cut in line, they just open a new one.

This has been proven by our friends down under. In Australia, there was talk of banning lane sharing. In protest, motorcyclists decided to show commuters what it would be like if they didn't share lanes. The result was astounding! Commuters in Sydney were late for work with up to 4 hour delays experienced in their commute! Lane sharing gets us all where we are going faster, whether we are on a bike, or in a car.

Therefore, your line cutting analogy is wrong, but I do understand your thought process.

Lane sharing is good for commuting time and the only people that are hurt by cutting the commute time are oil companies and they're doing just fine. Our air is better, our bikes are safer, our time is spared because of lane sharing.

:yahoo:

:blink: Lane sharing, lane splitting.....no need for you guys to get nasty with each other.

I took the MSC in Alameda, Calif after I took up riding again in 2003. I heard it said both ways from two different instuctors, it doesn't matter. My cousin retired after 30 years with the CHP (California Highway Patrol for those of you in Detroit :rolleyes: ). Anyhow according to him it's not legal and it's not illegal, it's tolerated because it lessens the traffic problems and gets the bikes to work/home. What is not tolerated if observed is "squid" like behavior in traffic and the CHP can and will pull a bike over if they think he causing more problems than he's eliminating. I lane split/shared with great trepidation when I lived in the Bay area as I observed several really nasty accidents involving bikes who were lane "shariing" at high speeds in heavy traffic. Legal or not doesn't mean anything to a mirror or the side of a car or truck. It really sucked to see the bike on its side and some guy laying on his back while people stared and an ambulance tried to thread its way through the mess.

I don't have a problem with anyone lane "sharing" as I've done it in traffic jams. However, I saw a lot of it that was done when there was absolutely no need for it as traffic was moving quickly along, just not quick enough for the squid on the "Busa" (add your own sportbike) that threaded his way through the lanes at 90mph, "lane sharing", his white ass and vertibrae being exposed by the wind blowing his T-shirt up. Sometimes they wore shorts, great. :blink:

AZ

Does anyone know of a specific statute or vehicle-code provision that covers lane-sharing? Because I don't believe the news report's assertion that it is "illegal if done too fast."
There is none, which is what has been stated umpteen times in this thread. The 'call' to ticket you is completely up to the discretion of the observing LEO. Period. If he thinks you are going too fast, he'll nail you for unsafe speed for road conditions and or reckless and good luck contesting it.
Right, we all know that part. But I have trouble remembering, is it lane splitting or lane sharing....?

Everybody duck!

:lol:

Why does this topic make everyone so hostile?
Damnit! It doesn't make people hostile! You want me to kick your ass?! :glare:

Jb

A Mother of 2 was convicted of Felony Assualt with 2 years hard time for throwing a 'missle' into another car which turned out to be a soda cup with ice. She thought they were delibertly cut off twice. Get sucked into Road Rage with retailiation & consequences will be paid. TJ
A friend saw an incident back fire on the rider, recently. She was riding home from work, staying behind a gentleman riding a cruiser, who....well, she felt safer with him where she could see him. On the freeway, a driver pulled some dumb stunt and the cruiser rider retaliated. He took his hand off the ape hangers to give a hand signal at the same time as planting his boot into the side of the car.

Bad move. The truck in front suddenly slowed. Mr Angry was unable to control his bike with one hand and one foot otherwise occupied. He rear ended the truck. His novelty helmet turned out to be just that.

What could have been a story over a cold one that night, ended up with a wrecked bike and trip to the hospital. My friend, who saw the accident and stopped to help, was upset about it for several days. It's not cool to see a fellow rider go down, no matter what the circumstances.

Ever have anybody cut in line in front of you while you were standing in a line? Pissed you off didn't it? Why not let them cut? You're just sharing the line aren't you? Personally, I can't understand the concept of "lane sharing". Why should somebody on a motorcycle be allowed to go ahead just because his vehicle is smaller? What gives him/her the right to get ahead of other drivers who are being forced to sit there in traffic and wait too? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I can see the point if they're on an aircooled bike and will overheat if they're not allowed to move. But, otherwise, it just looks like cutting to me. I would never even consider "lane sharing". I just wouldn't feel right about it. Sure, go ahead and unleash on me. But, that's where I stand on it.
Therefore, you line cutting analogy is wrong...
Agree that it's the wrong comparison. I know that when I go to the front of a line at a light, or toodle on through stop-and-go traffic, I'm not causing anybody to be later than they would otherwise be. The universal time equation for all vehicles getting to their destinations is a net positive ("What in the f**k is he talking about?!" :blink: )

There is only one time when I feel like I am causing someone to wait longer than otherwise--only one--and that is on weekends when I have to pay a toll going across a bridge (vs. use the no-pay commute lane on weekdays), and I SHARE! lanes through the 2-mile backup to the toll booth and then pop into line to pay my toll.

Jb

For those of you in Calif. who might decide to "throw " some object (metal) at the other vehicle might want to read Calif. Vehicle Code 23110( B) . It basically says that throwing a metal object at a vehicle or occupant is guilty of a FELONY. I would avoid doing that if I were you. (Spitting on someone is a misdemeanor). Keep your cool and your face shield down.

Also CVC 21658(a) says that a vehicle must be driven "ENTIRELY"within a single lane and it must be done safely and a signal must be given if other vehicles are affected (CVC 22107). If you are going over the white line back and forth a LEO can/could issue you a ticket. Most of these tickets given for lane 'sharing" are for unsafe speed. In heavy traffic many cage drivers will change lanes many times to try to get to a lane that is moving better than theirs is. Any motorcycle going too fast, will find this type of driver sooner or later.

The bottom line is --- you won't get in trouble if you don't go at an unsafe speed and don't "weave" in and out. That is what frightens (yes -- startles) some drivers and makes them mad at the rider.

Most Loe's won't give you any trouble but do it safely as many accidents are due to "sharing".

My normal limits for sharing are; if traffic is moving more than 15 mph slower than the speed limit - i.e., if the speed limit is 55 mph, when traffic drops below 40 mph, I'm alongside wherever there's room. Also try to go about 10-15 mph faster than the faster of the 2 lanes of traffic I'm between - Figure I can survive a 15 mph differential. A side benefit of that range of speed (10-15 mph over ambient) is that it works out so the average inattentive Cali cage-driving twit won't see me and therefore respond badly and jam up my line (about 1 in 8 jerks the wheel when they see me coming, of those, about 1 in 3 or 4 moves the wrong way, some of whom are trying to "pinch" me into the vehicle in the next lane, with varying degrees of agression). LOTS more people notice (and respond poorly or well) when you go slower - I vastly prefer to go unnoticed until I'm even with the driver's window. I'd rather startle a few people with my magical appearance beside them than give anybody but drivers who actually look in their mirrors time to take a crack at me.

Once you lane-share long enough, you pick up on non-blinker (use the blinker? How will I hold my cell phone and latte'?) lane change cues - the head bob, drift-and-recover, twitch the wheel, glance in the mirror, and every once in a great while, the look-over-the-shoulder. Also, anticipating brain-damaged maneuvers from cell-phone users, people reading, no-lookee lane-changers, people eating and drinking, street racers, and the average distracted mommy becomes second nature. Keeping your distance from pickup and truck mirrors and poorly tied loads on the local plumbers, glaziers, and junk-haulers factors in, as do my personal driving banes - pest-control pickups, commuter vans, and Volvos.

My normal limits for sharing are; if traffic is moving more than 15 mph slower than the speed limit - i.e., if the speed limit is 55 mph, when traffic drops below 40 mph, I'm alongside wherever there's room. Also try to go about 10-15 mph faster than the faster of the 2 lanes of traffic I'm between - Figure I can survive a 15 mph differential.
I have rules like that too. For example, if traffic's moving along at 65 MPH, I never go up between the cars faster than 80 MPH.

Jb

;)

[OrangeVale don't think I'm kidding. Am I?]

Like I have lived in Ca. my whole life and and as far as the guidelines for lane-sharing, (you go TWN), (and I know the sargent who's in charge of the CHP bike cops in our area and these are the rules he says is used) is the same as it says on lanesharing.org. which is not written law, just the basic safety rules for sharing. And that is as a rule lane share between lanes 1 & 2, 1 being the left fast lane, not go more than 10 miles per hour faster than the traffic your sharing with, don't weave in and out, when traffic gets up to 30 - 35 miles per hour get back in line with traffic and don't go faster than the speed limit. In the eastbay you will get nailed for sharing at over 35 mph. That's it, pretty simple. And no spitting. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

My normal limits for sharing are; if traffic is moving more than 15 mph slower than the speed limit - i.e., if the speed limit is 55 mph, when traffic drops below 40 mph, I'm alongside wherever there's room. Also try to go about 10-15 mph faster than the faster of the 2 lanes of traffic I'm between - Figure I can survive a 15 mph differential.
I have rules like that too. For example, if traffic's moving along at 65 MPH, I never go up between the cars faster than 80 MPH.

Jb

;)

[OrangeVale don't think I'm kidding. Am I?]
:lol:

you scare me sometimes...that's all

but if I didn't care, I wouldn't take the chance of seeming gullible B)

For those of you in Calif. who might decide to "throw " some object (metal) at the other vehicle might want to read Calif. Vehicle Code 23110( B) . It basically says that throwing a metal object at a vehicle or occupant is guilty of a FELONY. I would avoid doing that if I were you. (Spitting on someone is a misdemeanor). Keep your cool and your face shield down.
Also CVC 21658(a) says that a vehicle must be driven "ENTIRELY"within a single lane and it must be done safely and a signal must be given if other vehicles are affected (CVC 22107). If you are going over the white line back and forth a LEO can/could issue you a ticket. Most of these tickets given for lane 'sharing" are for unsafe speed. In heavy traffic many cage drivers will change lanes many times to try to get to a lane that is moving better than theirs is. Any motorcycle going too fast, will find this type of driver sooner or later.

The bottom line is --- you won't get in trouble if you don't go at an unsafe speed and don't "weave" in and out. That is what frightens (yes -- startles) some drivers and makes them mad at the rider.

Most Loe's won't give you any trouble but do it safely as many accidents are due to "sharing".
throw cows in anger

When lane sharing goes wrong...
Anyone familiar with the 238 lefthand "get-off" from the 580 knows how narrow and rough that section is. B-B-B-B-Baaaaddd place to be sharing anything!

Too bad for the rider's family and too bad for the trucker who will never erase this from his memory.

I really hate splitting when there are trucks of buses involved. I wait until there is a clear area to pass them. The City buses here are the worst. I've had the driver look at me in his mirror and crowd the line...just because they can. ALl I can do is shake my head and "pass and go".

"I have a splitting headache." vs. "Would you share my ice cream?"
"I'm splitting firewood." vs. "I'm sharing my sandwich.""

Definitions:

Split: to separate lengthwise into parts; to divide into shares; to disunite

Sharing: to distribute in shares; to receive, use, etc., in comon with others

Words can change understanding and perception.
A "splitting headache" is figurative speech whereas someone can actually share a sandwich. Personally, I like to split my sandwich before I share it; I have hang ups about other people touching my food.

Here's another definition of share: to partake of, use, experience, occupy, or enjoy with others. I have found that lane sharing is too nerve racking to enjoy.