Fairing Racing Stripes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OHFJR,

Are the stripes cut so that they bend over the top edge (and bottom) of the fairing? If so, would that 90 degree bend in the material be a "weak point," or is the adhesive so strong that that wouldn't be a problem?

The real question is how can a two-thumbed nimrod like myself ever expect to get those stripes on parallel and straight? and bubble free too?

The real question is how can a two-thumbed nimrod like myself ever expect to get those stripes on parallel and straight? and bubble free too?

Putting on the decals is really easy and no prior experience is needed. I used what is referred to as the wet method to apply the decals. All you do is lightly spray the back of the decal and the bike's surface with Glass Plus or soapy water. Spread the liquid onto all the decal's surface with your finger. Then apply the decal in place. Because it is wet, it will slide around where you want it. To get any air bubbles out of the decal use a credit card and lightly push the air bubble toward an edge of the decal. The liquid will dry and the adhesive on the decal will take hold.

We designed the decal set to make aligining the individuals decals very simple. All you need is a 3/4" wide masking or electrical tape. The first picture belows shows the intial placement of the masking tape. The rear piece of tape goes on first and sits on the ledge that the fairing has and that make placement easy and foolproof. When placing the front piece of tape, align it with the rear piece of tape in both height and angle placement. If you can aligin this front piece of tape the rest is easy. You then place the bottom two decals so the bottom of the decal sits against the top of the tape as seen in the second picture below. Once these decals are in place and you have pushed out the air bubbles, leave this set for 30 minutes so the decals can dry in place. Then place another 3/4" piece of tape just on top edge of the bottom decals. Make sure you do not overlap the the tape onto the decal. Then apply the top decals so the bottom of the decal just touches the top of the masking tape you just put on. You press out any air bubbles and then let these decals sit for another 30 minutes hours. You also apply the masking tape around the bottom of the gas tank and apply the gas tank decal on top of that. After all the decals have dried, cdarefully remove the masking tape. Thats about it.

install1.jpg

Picture 1

install2.jpg

Picture 2

install3.jpg

Picture 3

install4-1.jpg

Finished except Tank decal

By popular demand and it will look even cooler, we will be adding the stripe onto the gas tank. Of course no pictures of this yet, but will post pictures pricing and delivery next week!

Glad to see you're adding the tank stripe. I'm now in!

Look forward to seeing the final product with tank stripe and pricing! I've been waitning for someone to do this.

OHFJR,Are the stripes cut so that they bend over the top edge (and bottom) of the fairing? If so, would that 90 degree bend in the material be a "weak point," or is the adhesive so strong that that wouldn't be a problem?

The stripes do not bend over any edges, they are cut flush with the edge of the fairing.

Any chance I could request a different color.....like BLACK.....for an '03?
These decals are designed for the 06 and 07 models and I believe the earlier models years have a slightly different shape to the fairing. Therefore these would not fit properly on 03 to 05 FJRs. Does anyone know which model years have the same exact fairings or is each year been different?

Here is a picture of the stripe kit with the gas tank decal applied. The gas tank decal was just roughed in by hand so it is not perfect, but it will give you a good idea what the total look will be like. Again, the color of the decals in the picture is slightly darker then the metallic silver we'll be using in production.

FJRFairingStripeKit.jpg

OHFJR,

Are the stripes cut so that they bend over the top edge (and bottom) of the fairing? If so, would that 90 degree bend in the material be a "weak point," or is the adhesive so strong that that wouldn't be a problem?

The stripes do not bend over any edges, they are cut flush with the edge of the fairing.

Where did I get the idea you're in Canada?

You're only about 60 miles from me....

Bikes in the shop right now for the throttle thingy fix...

If the weather's still decent ( no snow) I could bring it up after Xmas.....or whenever...

Mine's an 05....

A reflective yellow or white stripe would be nice....or even reflective silver.... ;)

Mary

Where did I get the idea you're in Canada?

You're only about 60 miles from me....

Bikes in the shop right now for the throttle thingy fix...

If the weather's still decent ( no snow) I could bring it up after Xmas.....or whenever...

Mine's an 05....

A reflective yellow or white stripe would be nice....or even reflective silver.... ;)

Mary

Thank you for the offer to bring your 05 in for mockup. Please message me and let me know when you might be able to bring it in, of course weather permitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one.

Set up a group buy and offer a 10% discount and post on the other FJR forums and make a killing!!!!!

Only kidding,when will these be available and how much with the extra tank decal?