Fastest Tourer? FJR takes a respectable 6th place

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So two things:

1: No one here is ditching the Multistrada because of an adjustable windshield. The Multistrada has less range, takes premium fuel, has shorter maintenance intervals, has chain drive, less luggage capacity and less weather protection. I know...I looked. Hard!

What does that mean? As a long distance all-around ST, the Multi falls short of the FJR in most of our opinions. However, its a nice bike and if it floats your boat, good for you.

2: You dorks that won't stop bitching about a 6th gear have NO idea what the **** you are talking about. Go read up and learn how transmissions and gearing work. Then go look at the RPM of other SPORT TOURERS in sixth gear at a freeway speeds. The FJR runs lower RPM than most if not all of them with its measly 5 gears.

If you want 6 gears go buy a Concourse or BMW. Then you can go to those Forms and find something else to bitch about!

Last edited by a moderator:
So two things:
1: No one here is ditching the Multistrada because of an adjustable windshield. The Multistrada has less range, takes premium fuel, has shorter maintenance intervals, has chain drive, less luggage capacity and less weather protection. I know...I looked. Hard!

What does that mean? As a long distance all-around ST, the Multi falls short of the FJR in most of our opinions. However, its a nice bike and if it floats your boat, good for you.

Friend of mine has just swapped his FJR for a Multistrada, the red thing on the left (my FJR on the right):

(Click on image for larger view)

He swapped it just for a change, really. Says he wants some excitement in his riding before he's too old. Complained about the front wheel lifting in third (or was that wifey complaining?), and he's still only using run-in rpm.

Of course, now he has to lubricate his chain occasionally. (He's not really built for this sort of grovelling
nea.gif
.)

According to its handbook, you have to take it to a dealer for a chain adjustment. Or to adjust the headlights. Or anything other than put petrol in, as far as I could see.

So two things:

2: You dorks that won't stop bitching about a 6th gear have NO idea what the **** you are talking about. Go read up and learn how transmissions and gearing work. Then go look at the RPM of other SPORT TOURERS in sixth gear at a freeway speeds. The FJR runs lower RPM than most if not all of them with its measly 5 gears.

If you want 6 gears go buy a Concourse or BMW. Then you can go to those Forms and find something else to bitch about!
lol.gif

Yeah the trolls who need 6 cylinders, 'n 6 speeds are prolly compensating fer sumpin...

Vienna-sausage_zpsadf4997e.jpg

It's a legitimate gripe (or bitch as you have it). For peeps running high speeds, the FJR falls short and could use this revision.

I get better mileage with my Beemer 6 banger than with my FJR 4 banger. I've also side by side whole and multiple day rides with several other FJR's and at gas stations they always take more gas than me. It's not right that the smaller FJR (engine and bike) should get worse mileage than that of the bigger and more pony'd up bike.

Call it bitching, I don't give a flying fawk, it's the truth!

ALTER IT YAMAHA and for once, keep up with the field!

ah kin by lotsa gaz fer the price dif

an nowz ah gots propellers on da feej ah can be awl uppity an noone can tel the dif ,parks it outside starbuckys but thems still doan lak me, meebee cuz ub mah carharts ??

Fuel economy isn't all about adding an extra gear. What kind of HP/Tq differences between the 2 (the more air the pump pushes, the more fuel)? Coefficient of friction of the front of the bikes? How was the throttle hand used to whack acceleration on the FJR? Lot of things.

6th has been talked to death since the FJRs introduction. Other than a desire for familiarity, it seems the conclusion was that it wouldn't help with MPG accept at supra-legal speeds (more than +10 or +20) and the results would be the need to downshift to "motivate".

After reading the posts on changing out the final drive gears for the higher geared Yamaha RSV ones, that would be my choice. Seems to me that will get the RPM's down and act as a true overdrive. I am thinking something like 85mph at 4000rpm. Would be interested to know if that will result in more miles per gallon.

I like the gearing on the FJR. I like my gas mileage: 42-48 mpg, depending on riding conditions. Maybe the Gen1 bikes need to be able to drop the rpm when cruising or get better gas mileage, but I've never seen less than 42, been as high as 53, and never had a problem staying with other riders, even when I am 2up on mine. Running the Tail was a blast mostly in 2nd gear; running slab at 80-90 in 5th gear is smooth and I get 46 mph doing both.

After reading the posts on changing out the final drive gears for the higher geared Yamaha RSV ones, that would be my choice. Seems to me that will get the RPM's down and act as a true overdrive. I am thinking something like 85mph at 4000rpm. Would be interested to know if that will result in more miles per gallon.
85 (true) and 4K is a sweet spot for both (lesser) engine friction and (more) mileage.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That thread showed it was only a difference of about 300RPM's, not significant at all.

It's a legitimate gripe (or bitch as you have it). For peeps running high speeds, the FJR falls short and could use this revision.

I get better mileage with my Beemer 6 banger than with my FJR 4 banger. I've also side by side whole and multiple day rides with several other FJR's and at gas stations they always take more gas than me. It's not right that the smaller FJR (engine and bike) should get worse mileage than that of the bigger and more pony'd up bike.

It's not a legitimate gripe if what Zilla says is true, that the FJR with it's 5 gears has lower RPM's than other tourers with 6.

In that case it's simply a waste and more shifting/downshifting for nothing!

It's not a legitimate gripe if what Zilla says is true, that the FJR with it's 5 gears has lower RPM's than other tourers with 6.

In that case it's simply a waste and more shifting/downshifting for nothing!
Well, since you think I've been blowing smoke apparently. My K16 in 6th (U do not shift into it unless up on highway speeds) at GPS-85mph throws a smooth and gas sipping barely 4K. It gets better mileage not only vs. my own FJR (cuz that's an AE and some say it doesn't count) but also vs. Gen 1, 2's and 3's.

Car makers have known for quite some time not to wind their motors and all have incorporated tall gearing. Anybody that thinks lower RPM's doesn't save friction and fuel is a moran. Not being mean, but holy crap you guys are so stuck up Yamahas ass. Just cuz they haven't come around (yet) doesn't mean they're right.

Hell, I wanted electronic adjustment suspension on the FJR the very first test ride I took on a K16, 3 years ago. I caught grief from a bunch of thick headed ying yangs here (and, I have a list!) lol. Well looky what Mama has finally produced. When they do add a 6th gear and everybody thinks its all the rage.... yeah, ok. I hate to say but I'll be right again.

Take off the blinders! There is a whole World out there to open minded peeps. Maybe that's why I now favor BMW technology and their superior advancements. I still want to add a Gen4 (or 5) to my collection as Yamaha still is homebase w me :) But, I want advancements!

...you think I've been blowing smoke...Anybody that thinks lower RPM's...is a moran. Not being mean, but holy crap...a bunch of thick headed ying yangs here....yeah, ok. I hate to say but I'll be right again...Take off the blinders!...
Wow.
slaping.gif

Ya...but the Feejer still looks better then your Beemer.
coolsmiley02.gif
...And at half the price
tonguesmiley.gif
Well correct on one anyway; the half price thingy
smile.png

You guys are all stuck in the narrow minded FJR beer goggles world. When I pull up to a neutral spot with other FJR's, well I'll be nice, but clearly the attention all comes the Beemers way. It's not even a fair fight. But, wholly rollers, the price tag does suck moose balls x10!

Ya...but the Feejer still looks better then your Beemer.
coolsmiley02.gif
...And at half the price
tonguesmiley.gif
Well correct on one anyway; the half price thingy
smile.png

You guys are all stuck in the narrow minded FJR beer goggles world. When I pull up to a neutral spot with other FJR's, well I'll be nice, but clearly the attention all comes the Beemers way. It's not even a fair fight. But, wholly rollers, the price tag does suck moose balls x10!
Ya...Ok

I rented a car with an 8-speed automatic. It lugged like a zit faced teenager constantly grabbing 4th instead of 2nd on a manny tranny. It got good gas mileage. I hated the shit out of it.