Female riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like she gave her dealer a deposit allready to be the first to PDP when it starts.
You might be able to find an 06', start calling dealers!
Hell yeah, they're all over the place, can't go into a dealership here without trippin over one. Trouble is,so far it looks like they all think they have the only one, if the asking price is any indication.

Hell yeah, they're all over the place, can't go into a dealership here without trippin over one. Trouble is,so far it looks like they all think they have the only one, if the asking price is any indication.
Which tends to support what some suggested as one of the benefits of the PdP. Lower pricing for those willing to shop around, negotiate, put a little cash down in advance, and be patient.

This is a great forum and from the reading I have done to date which is not all that much, I am wondering if there are any women fjr riders out there? Thanks! Maggie
Hi Maggie. I haven't been around much lately - some bad stuff happening but things are getting better. I used to be a cruiser girl until I saw the FJR. It took a lot of figuring out, both financially and height-wise, but I got an 03 and love it.

Added a custom seat, 2" soles on my boots, lowering kit, heli-bar risers and XM radio.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Jill

Hey, everyone, yikes, I need help! I rode a fellow member's 06 today and spent enough time on it, for the first time, and found the buzz many have mentioned. I have tendinitis pretty bad and vibration really is painful :angry2: So........I am really bumbed. The bike had grip puppies and bar end weights too!! Anyone done any other mods to quiet the buzz? If I can't figure this one out, the FJR is gone before I even get it! I just might lose sleep over this one............

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, everyone, yikes, I need help! I rode a fellow member's 06 today and spent enough time on it, for the first time, and found the buzz many have mentioned. I have tendinitis pretty bad and vibration really is painful :angry2: So........I am really bumbed. The bike had grip puppies and bar end weights too!! Anyone done any other mods to quiet the buzz? If I can't figure this one out, the FJR is gone before I even get it! I just might lose sleep over this one............
Did it feel like you had a fair amount of pressure on your wrists? Changing the angle/height/position of the bars might help.

How tall are you Maggie? I'm 5'7" and anxiously awaiting risers to come out for the 06 as I am having alot of wrist pain and fingers going numb. Grip puppies just changed which fingers go numb and made it a further reach to pull the clutch in. Never had this problem on my 03 which had risers and bar ends on it when I bought it. Also have a throttle rocker which helps. And there are known fix-its for the throttle springs too. The throttle is way too hard to turn. Not sure if there's anything more you can do with the vibes though. Are you sure it's not just the ergos?

Don't stop because of one FJR experience.... for all we know, that FJR had badly out-of-synch throttle bodies, which is a main source of vibes on the FJR.

I have assembled dozens of FJRs over the years, and some desperately needed a good TBS right out of the crate; or certainly at the initial 600-mile maintenance.... and if it's not done, can lend a significant amount of vibration to the handgrips and footpegs.

Too, there are a plethora of handlebar risers out there for the FJR (including 2006 models) that might help mitigate this issue for you, if handlebar/grip orientation is a contributing factor.

The bike is too good to stop interest after one ride on a bike that may or may not have been in an optimal state of tune.

Sounds to me like your done!!!! That buzz aint going away. There will always be mild vibration coming through the bars on this bike which will increase as rpm's increase. This symptom can be exagerated by something needing adjustment. but you can adjust all you want and you wont eliminate it.

If your hypersensative to vibration, sorry to say your st1300 bound. I was hypersensative to heat, so i was 06 FJR bound.

GreyGoose

Sounds to me like your done!!!! That buzz aint going away. There will always be mild vibration coming through the bars on this bike which will increase as rpm's increase. This symptom can be exagerated by something needing adjustment. but you can adjust all you want and you wont eliminate it.
If your hypersensative to vibration, sorry to say your st1300 bound. I was hypersensative to heat, so i was 06 FJR bound.

GreyGoose

Maggie, Don't let this sway you either. Not all of them have a vibration issue that will always be there. Mine (04 in the smoothest running cerulean silver) doesn't vibrate at all through the bars or pegs. Its smooth as glass. I keep it in a good state of tune and the only "vibration fix" are BMW grips, which I don't even think are the best to combat vibration anyway. (IMHO). Grey Goose may have the biggest vibrator around- errrrr worst vibrator around- errrrrrrrrr a bike that vibrates a lot, but YMMV as with any other mechanical device.

Keep looking and taking the advice of the folks on here who have had to combat that problem.

Don't stop because of one FJR experience.... for all we know, that FJR had badly out-of-synch throttle bodies, which is a main source of vibes on the FJR.
I have assembled dozens of FJRs over the years, and some desperately needed a good TBS right out of the crate; or certainly at the initial 600-mile maintenance.... and if it's not done, can lend a significant amount of vibration to the handgrips and footpegs.

Too, there are a plethora of handlebar risers out there for the FJR (including 2006 models) that might help mitigate this issue for you, if handlebar/grip orientation is a contributing factor.

The bike is too good to stop interest after one ride on a bike that may or may not have been in an optimal state of tune.
What he says.

My '03 requires a TBS at the very least every 15K km. I added D&D bar risers and bar end weights shortly after purchasing the bike and while they did alleviate some of the wrist burn, the first TBS was like a miracle and smoothed things out dramatically. Don't give up yet, Maggie!

Kasey

Downshift!

I never said anything about my bike not being smooth. i've got risers, throttlemeister, grip puppies, TBS, yada yada yada. Say what you will, She's going to feel vibration through the bars. Its typically not enough (at least at legal speeds) to be an issue for most people. But if you have someone with a medical condition that makes them hypersensative to this particular issue, They need to move to an alternative.

If she's dead set on the FJR, by all means, try it out. You would have no problems unloading the bike if it aggravated your condition.

Just dont get sucked into the idea that there is some type of adjustment you can do to eliminate it. It is what it is.

GreyGoose

Just dont get sucked into the idea that there is some type of adjustment you can do to eliminate it. It is what it is.
My several years experience working on many dozens of FJRs suggests this is incorrect.

While they are indeed some bikes that are going to have some amount of vibes at some specific RPMs, I have taken many a FJR (who's owners complained of the footpeg/handgrip vibes) and turned them virtually glass-smooth. Is it going to be absolutely perfect? Well, no... most any inline-4 isn't going to be as smooth as a V-4 (the Blackbird's engine aside), but you can get the FJR's engine DAMN smooth if you now the right tricks and techniques. I know this to be true from direct, hands-on experience on many FJRs over the past 4 years.

you can get the FJR's engine DAMN smooth if you now the right tricks and techniques. I know this to be true from direct, hands-on experience on many FJRs over the past 4 years.
For what its worth, I'll second that.

The mechanics at our local dealer (good guys I have dealt with for 10 years) have my 2003 running very smooth :D

Warchild,

I look forward to seeing your farkle titled "Make your 06 FJR glass smooth". I've had great success with some of your other recommendations (on this forum and on the st forum). For now, my grip puppies, barbarian modification, risers, TbS, throttle spring release, and Fred Harmon Shim mod, has left me with an awesome motorcycle who's bars and pegs noticably vibrate from 5000 rpm's and up. I'm wide open to try any other suggestions (other than a PCIII) you may have to put me into a catagory of "glass smooth", but i've got to admit, i'm a bit skeptical.

Theres another post out there just recently titled "06 buzz through the bars" thats been getting quite a bit of action.

Untill i know better, It is what it is......

+1 on the blackbird comment. That motor is just uncalled for!!!!!

GreyGoose

.... has left me with an awesome motorcycle who's bars and pegs noticably vibrate from 5000 rpm's and up. I'm wide open to try any other suggestions (other than a PCIII) ....
Have you tried the alternative TBS procedure using the butterfly's that control the connected valves, and synching them at the higher 5000 RPM level?

.... has left me with an awesome motorcycle who's bars and pegs noticably vibrate from 5000 rpm's and up. I'm wide open to try any other suggestions (other than a PCIII) ....
Have you tried the alternative TBS procedure using the butterfly's that control the connected valves, and synching them at the higher 5000 RPM level?
Groo,

Dont know how to do that one. My TBS happened at the stealers.

Anyone else out there done this on there 06?

GreyGoose

Dont know how to do that one. My TBS happened at the stealers.
GreyGoose
Are you sure they actually did it? Do you have any idea how many times a dealer has said they did a TBS, charged for a TBS, yet never actually did the TBS?

Also, not sure why you are against the Power Commander. Not that it would do anything, but if it fixed your problem, then all would be good, no?

Of course it is entirely possible you have an example of a "bad FJR". It would not be the first.