F'ing Thieves F'ing SUCK!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine, Robert Haas, had his shop burglarized yesterday morning. He runs a place called Tommy's Glass in Salinas but the back section of the shop was set up for working on motorcycles. The thieves stole EVERYthing... every tool, ransacked through drawers, and stole the shop van as well. He had accumulated a lifetime of tools not only for his shop but also to work on bikes.

He is one of those guys that will do anything for anyone anytime and ask for nothing in return. He was one of the people that built a ramp for me when I got out of the hospital so I could get in and out of my friend, Sue's, house after I got out of the hospital. He has worked on several of my bikes and not requested one dime for his time (I snuck in a couple of goodies when he wasn't looking though ;) ).

While many of you may not know him, you know of those like him. I'm posting this anywhere I can in case any of you see the van or are able to web surf for specialized tools on Craigslist, etc. We're working on an item list but you probably know the types of tools to look for. Photos of the shop van are here:

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showt...9082&page=2

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. So many have given to me in my time of need and I am glad I am here to be able to give back in some way.

Thanks!

It's hard to read this stuff and then sit and listen to why career criminals ought to get ANY dispensation when they've clearly outlived their usefulness to society. We can truly do without clowns like this. So stick to your guns the next time someone comes around telling you why 3-strikes is such a bad idea. It is a cold-hard fact that about 90% of hard crime is perpetrated by 10% of the hard criminals (numbers not exact but ROM [rough order of magnitude] correct). Get them off the street and these sorts of life-changing events become much more rare.

Check out the tag line below...Burke called it like it was and its as good today as it was 250 years ago.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this Tyler. We'll keep our ears open too.
Thanks, Simon! :)

Distinctive Items

Dainese Blue 2-piece leather suit

Asterisk knee braces

Soumy Gobert Helmet

Makita drills (LI-ion)

Bosch hammer drill

Bosch worm drive skill staff

senco nail guns

Honda Eu2000 Generator

Lincoln Mig Welder SP-1 75 plus

Porter Cable double insulated plate joiner

Makita impact driver

Craftsman battery charger and car starter

Blue Point voltmeter

Snap-On digital torque wrench

Spoke torque wrench

Emgo twin-tube compressor

Black Shuttle computer

Hanns-G monitors (28") x2

If you see something you think is listed, please email it to ehsan.farkhondeh AT gmail DOT com. This happened early Sunday morning so anything posted before the 14th is highly unlikely to be his.

I would do some drive-thru's of local construction sites. A buddy (free lance carpenter) had the same happen to him here in the Chicago 'burbs. He found the van about 3 weeks later at a construction site, called the cops and had the driver arrested. The guy spilled his guts to the cops - he'd bought the van and all the tools from some scumbags. The cops told him in court that they had looked for this crew for 2 years. They were ripping contractors off, selling the loot and then buying drugs to support their habits.

Another thing you might want to do is check the Craig's list and Ebay. If a bunch of stuff similar to what you had stolen shows up soon after the theft, you may have found your culprits. Good luck.

Regards,

Tryp

It's a real shame to hear about anyone losing part of or all of their livelihood, especially to thieves. I hope he has the insurance coverage to help lessen the frustration of his loss. It's hard to leave your home (or business) for any length of time for fear you'll be ripped off by thieves.

It's a real shame to hear about anyone losing part of or all of their livelihood, especially to thieves. I hope he has the insurance coverage to help lessen the frustration of his loss. It's hard to leave your home (or business) for any length of time for fear you'll be ripped off by thieves.
Insurance will help I'm sure but the really sucky thing is that this is a family business, third generation. Some of the tools that were stolen were given to him by his dad who taught him much of his trade, both on the bike and off. Many of the tools for working on bikes he had gleaned over the years and I doubt that will be covered by insurance as it wasn't really a part of his business. I know it's just "stuff" but it's the emotional attachment that goes with some of those things that really is the big loss. :(

I know it`s been awhile & did read the other thread, any news on any of the stuff ?? Also if he had all these tools & things in the back, i`d hate to say that someone he knows (might not be close or maybe a customer at one time) must be part of it.

Thieves do suck !!

I know it`s been awhile & did read the other thread, any news on any of the stuff ?? Also if he had all these tools & things in the back, i`d hate to say that someone he knows (might not be close or maybe a customer at one time) must be part of it.

Thieves do suck !!
They have one guy in custody (former employee) and are searching for a 2nd guy. Really sad... Robert opened up his shop to the guy, gave him a job - a 2nd chance, befriended him... and the idiot shows his appreciation like this. :(

Have Robert and his other employees gone back to work? Has the insurance company settled? Fairly? Does Robert need any help?

Have Robert and his other employees gone back to work? Has the insurance company settled? Fairly? Does Robert need any help?
Yes, they are back to work. There was a fundraiser to help him get some basics to get back up and running. Also, the van was recovered. It was empty but it's still a huge relief to get the van itself back. They also found some stuff dumped off the side of a freeway onramp but not the high ticket stuff.

As for insurance, that still remains to be seen. They are asking for receipts which I doubt he has many of since it's a collection of tools over a span of about 30 years, some were given to him by his father and other mentors as he learned his trade... kind of irreplaceable in that sense. And the motorcycle tools will most likely not be covered at all given it wasn't a part of the business. Going to see what happens in the next few weeks and then, if insurance doesn't come through, we may register him somewhere so folks can maybe purchase a tool or two for him... kind of like a wedding registry! :lol:

Robert is old school and it's really hard for him to accept help... but sometimes it's a gift to receive so he'll just have to deal with it. :)

They have the former employee, Darrell Haley, but are still searching for this guy, Charles Goss:

CharlesGoss.jpg

More info here: https://news.salinaspd.com/index.cfm/Burglary_Possession_of_a_Firearm_4151.htm

Oh yeah....a fine looking citizen. I have found that as an employer for over 23 years, it's always the best choice to hire on the guy that's fully tatted...they tend to be the most trustworthy.....NOT! (btw...I understand that's not his previous employee...just sayin'). Second chances smanches. It want to puke at the thought of this guy losing the tools of his trade and the better part of his livelihood to such a bunch of worthless douches. Thieves do more than suck. Guys like this are deserving of nothing less than a double tap's worth of red hot, 160 grain lead injection.

Oh...did I mention that I don't much like thieves? :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah....a fine looking citizen. I have found that as an employer for over 23 years, it's always the best choice to hire on the guy that's fully tatted...they tend to be the most trustworthy.....NOT! (btw...I understand that's not his previous employee...just sayin'). Second chances smanches. It want to puke at the thought of this guy losing the tools of his trade and the better part of his livelihood to such a bunch of worthless douches. Thieves do more than suck. Guys like this are deserving of nothing less than a double tap's worth of red hot, 160 grain lead injection.

Oh...did I mention that I don't much like thieves? :clapping:
Darrell was the former employee, not Goss... a local minister who knew Robert had talked to him about possibly offering Darrell a job as he was trying to get his life together and the minister had been counseling him to do that. Unfortunately, it looks like he didn't follow that path nor the enormous generosity given him... dumbass.

DarrellHaley.jpg

Dude looks like a winner also. I'm all for freedom of expression and what not but when I see a guy like the two above upstanding citizen or looking for a second chance don't come to mind. People need to know that something even like their looks carry consequences. First impressions and all.