First Ride-new 06 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duc4Doc

Reaction score
Traded in the Beemer below on an Fjr. Looking for a good high performance distant ST. Thought long and hard between this and a K1200gt. Just decided that the K12 was over the edge. Like riding a series of computers. It wasn't even the cost issue, though I do feel a little smarter. I will use the Fjr for long distant sport touring, and my Ducati for canyon carving.

But first ride left some mixed feelings. Fit and finish of fjr is superb. Looks great. I have been riding twins, and mostly my Ducati ST3s. The feeling of the Fjr engine is buzzyness. It is fast and torquey without a doubt, but buzzy. Also, the transmission did not want to shift. I expect that to smooth out with break in, but it probably won't be as good as the Duc. It should be way better than my clunky Beemer though. I took it easy on fresh tires, but I get the feeling that this bike will corner very well. I set up the suspension as Sport Rider recommended in the 6/05 issue. Brakes are good, but seem to require more rear brake along with front for strong breaking. Might be due to weight or perhaps to the linked system??

I couldn't find a good spot for the windshield. I think an aftermarket could help. I am 6'1". Any thoughts? Also, I have never heard/read about sliders, but there are lots of comments on this thread about them. What gives? Are these machines low siding more than others? Are the more novice riders on super powerful bikes? I just don't see this on other forums.

I look forward to breaking this machine in, and hopefully will get used to the engine.

Duc4Doc

Ducati ST3s red

BMW R1100 rsl pearl white

Traded in the Beemer below on an Fjr. Looking for a good high performance distant ST. Thought long and hard between this and a K1200gt. Just decided that the K12 was over the edge. Like riding a series of computers. It wasn't even the cost issue, though I do feel a little smarter. I will use the Fjr for long distant sport touring, and my Ducati for canyon carving.
But first ride left some mixed feelings. Fit and finish of fjr is superb. Looks great. I have been riding twins, and mostly my Ducati ST3s. The feeling of the Fjr engine is buzzyness. It is fast and torquey without a doubt, but buzzy. Also, the transmission did not want to shift. I expect that to smooth out with break in, but it probably won't be as good as the Duc. It should be way better than my clunky Beemer though. I took it easy on fresh tires, but I get the feeling that this bike will corner very well. I set up the suspension as Sport Rider recommended in the 6/05 issue. Brakes are good, but seem to require more rear brake along with front for strong breaking. Might be due to weight or perhaps to the linked system??

I couldn't find a good spot for the windshield. I think an aftermarket could help. I am 6'1". Any thoughts? Also, I have never heard/read about sliders, but there are lots of comments on this thread about them. What gives? Are these machines low siding more than others? Are the more novice riders on super powerful bikes? I just don't see this on other forums.

I look forward to breaking this machine in, and hopefully will get used to the engine.

Duc4Doc

Ducati ST3s red

Duc4Doc, welcome to the forum. When I first got my 06 FJR I had some of the same concerns as you. I assure you that the tranny will smooth out. When mine was new I some times had to hit the shift twice just to get it to the next gear. I now have 3600miles on it and I don't even need to think about it any more. It is shifting smooth and gets better with every ride. You will be surprised.

As for the bussyness. When you get your break-in miles done get your TB-Synced and do the Barbarian jumper and reset your CO's. You will be impressed with how the vib's just go away. You will injoy this bike. Just give it some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear a new owners perspective since I'm considering an FJR myself. Post up your thoughts after you get some more miles on it if you could. I'd like to hear what you think.

I've only owned mine for three days and have only put 200 miles on it, but my experience is a bit different. I am coming from a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200 and I find this bike EVERYTHING my Bandit wasn't. It is smooth and not nearly as vibe happy as my Bandit or any other inline 4 that I have ridden.

I haven't experienced the shifting issue you have either, this one is about the same as my Bandit. Granted, mine already had 389 miles on it when I got it, so maybe in that time it has smoothed out, but I doubt it.

The brakes on this bike are nothing less than stellar. Again, I'm only coming from a Bandit and you have a Ducati, but I couldn't be happier. I also like the linked system but am worried I'll someday become dependent on them and then be screwed if I switch to a bike without them.

As for the windshield, I already have an aftermarket one, so I can't help you there other than to say that mine is great!

As for the frame sliders, mine came with them, but I am glad they did. I have had bikes knocked down in parking lots, and it would be devestating to see such a beautiful bike get a scratch on it!

Hope you fall in love with your new FJR as much as I have with mine. If not, sell it to me for really really cheap! :)

RE: The sliders - I think that so many people are concerned about the occasional parking lot drop or something, and the amount of tupperware on the bike makes people nervous. I don't have sliders, I never feel like this bike is going to slide out from under me (but then, I know how to transition the power in turns and such - I'm surprised at how many people snap the throttle closed going in to a turn, then hammer it open midway), I feel like I can push this heavier bike better and harder than I could have push my F4i (I've always preferred heavier bikes).

The only thing I dislike on mine after 1500 miles of ownership and all riding conditions is the seat. If you want buzzy, spend some miles on the Concours, then try again :) I'm cured of buzziness for life after that.

And yes, once you gain some trust and familiarity with the machine, it absolutely *will* corner well. I'm faster in nearly every turn on this bike than I was on my F4i, but part of that is I never really got comfortable enough (my comfort/body position) to truly trust the F4i, so I think that's more an issue with me than the bikes.

I think the FJR and I were made for each other, and fell right into a comfort zone on it that I rarely can find on other bikes - at least so quickly.

Morning Duc4Doc

smileymania.at_14358.gif

Welcome to the forum.

Like others have said, the initial issues you're having are just the initial break in stuff. The sensitive throttle can be almost completely cured via the fixes documented on this site : ( cable slack, throttle body sync , adjusting the CO values with the jumper mod ). I've found the stock seat has broken in quite nicely such that I'm not feeling pressured to replace it now. The sliders/TOG's are just for piece of mind IMO as there's lot's of expensive tupperware on our Feejr's and I'd hate to scratch 'er all up in a stupid stop and flop.

Like others have said, I'm loving this bike more and more as the miles pile on. It's getting smoother and letting me go faster with each ride. It's just that good. On a track day we had here, I was able to get 'er over to angles I didn't think possible for a ST bike, but I did :dribble: : WOOOEEE was that ever fun !!

If you have an problems, you can count on the folks here to help you get them fixed. It's a great community here.

NFlyer

If you think the motor is buzzy, you might need a 'throttle body sync'. Some are way off. Mine was damn close. Good Luck! TJ

Duc4Doc

Ducati ST3s red

I had/have the exact same concerns...I got my '06 a couple weeks ago and now have about 2k on the clock. Buzzy...throttle body sync and jumper mod fixed that. I only went +5 on the CO settings from stock. Windscreen...I'm 6'-0" and the screen is fine for in town but when travelling something else will be needed, I just did a short 600 mile weekend and the stock screen just doesn't cut it. I'm considering the Rifle screen but am waiting on the V-Stream to be released before making that decision. By far my largest concern is the seat. In my opinion this is the worst seat I have ever been on...pure garbage. I've done numerous 1000 mile days on stock seats with no issues, but I've never been sore like I am right now from this last 600 mile weekend. This will be my first bike that has warranted a custom made seat.

PTP

guys i just got my bike 3 days ago and im having abt 300 miles on it???

can u guys explain wat kind of breaking in i should do??? if hard breking in how hard should i go?? and how fast??? till how many miles den my bike will be ready for the redlining rpm???

as for the trottle sensor sycronising isssit necessary?? and how to do the COs setting with jumper mode??

wat kind of things could i get from this mod??

I have 7760 miles on my 2006, I really love it. I do have to admit I have the same issue with my transmission, there are times when it just doesn't want to shift, to the point that I need to release the clutch as it is caught in between gears. I don't know why mine does it, normally it shifts just fine although there are times when it can be a pain.

I love the brakes on the 06, a big improvement over every other bike I have ever owned, the same can be said for the engine, extremely smooth, almost too refined. I still enjoy jumping on my FZ6 and letter her wind up, it seems a lot less tamed :p

The windshield is fine for me, I normally leave mine down actually, unless I get caught out in the rain that is. It works best partially raised for me when riding with my spouse on the interstate.

John

guys i just got my bike 3 days ago and im having abt 300 miles on it???can u guys explain wat kind of breaking in i should do??? if hard breking in how hard should i go?? and how fast??? till how many miles den my bike will be ready for the redlining rpm???

as for the trottle sensor sycronising isssit necessary?? and how to do the COs setting with jumper mode??

wat kind of things could i get from this mod??
only 300 miles?? what are you doing.... washing it?

break in -- search for breaking in - on the search engine - according to some accepted methodologies - you will be red-lining during the break in.

as for the TBS? - the answer is that "it depends". perhaps your bike doesn't need it - but what is acceptable from the factory (what they consider "within spec") leaves room for improvement. How much room is dependent on how well it was done at the factory.

Search for the Barbarian jumper mod on FJRTech and you will find out how to do it. It seems to effect some bikes more than others. I think it marginally helped my bike.

One of the things I've noticed with the fjr is that I'm always reaching for another gear. It isn't because of lack of power. I think it is because of the vibration in the bike at certain rpms. I've done barabarian mod and TBS and there is still more vibration than on my LT or my Valkyrie. Perhaps part of that was the rubber isolation on the handlebars of the LT - and the valkyrie was just glassy smooth - never-the-less - I feel more vibration in the handlebars of the FJR. Not objectionable vibes... but there. Enough so that I reach for another gear. I'm thinking about dumping some shot into the handle bars to see if it might help.

I have had my '06 for a week now, and will turn over 500 miles on the way home from work tonight. Having traded in my V-Max, the differences in the FJR are HUGE.

I couldn't agree more, that the seat on the FJR SUCKS! I will replace it as soon as I can scrap together the $$. (By the way, you have never been on a bad seat until you have ridden the stock V-Max seat). I will be putting on slidders, mainly for the once in a very great while knock overs. The gear box is just now starting to smooth out to where I am noticing it.

To be honest the first day I rode the bike I thought I may have mad a mistake, but the bike is getting better with each ride, and I am looking forward to farkling the hell out of it to make it "Just Right."

Duc4Doc

Ducati ST3s red

Hola amigos,

Well, I boutht my FJR back in the earley Junies....

I did test ride the BMW RT,GT.GS. AND the ST1300.

Conclusion for me ::::

The GT did not feel good regarding the "gearshifting intervals" , " driving through Norway just in first gear :assassin: No way, (nor-way..) The bike did met with my exectiations. Short: I did not like it...

But I did like the boxer..., it was a wholesome bike, but no way for forward footpegs (f.eg. from Wild Bill and Terry, could ever been mounted on that bike)... AND looking down at the mirrors when driving mad.... not to me....

The ST1300. Pleseant ride, "scooter ride", not for me, (not taking in the problems making above 180 km/t) :yahoo:

The solution: coming from a guy/older gentleman:

The only one rule: FJR if it do not fit you stay away and let another one buy it !!! B)

Regards a beardy old fool;

Tor

I've got about 700+ miles on my 06A .. on the first three tanks of gas 45,45,47 mpg! Pretty good. As for the seat .. first thing I do with my bikes is throw on a bead seat cover. I find that it saves my butt here in the AZ heat but also does me well on long rides. As for smoothness of the engine and shifting .. I'm coming off of big singles and my 94 BMW R100M which I still have .. so the FJR is absolutely smooth and shifts like a hot knife thru butter.

No complaints at all sofar. I too ride with the windshield down .. been riding naked bikes to long I guess. I have already added a Throttlemeister and I ordered the frame sliders as well as a rear rack. The frame sliderss just make good sense to me.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I will have the throttle bodies adjusted with my 600 mi service. Can someone explain 'Barbaria Jumper and CO' to me?

My initial thoughts were to upgrade the suspension. I am thinking the stock is quite good. The Sport Rider suggested settings probably helped.

Also, from reading here it sounds like the Rifle windscreen is popular. Changes the angle and windflow. Agreed?

I will post continued thoughts with increasing milage.

Thanks again to all.

D4D

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I will have the throttle bodies adjusted with my 600 mi service. Can someone explain 'Barbaria Jumper and CO' to me?
My initial thoughts were to upgrade the suspension. I am thinking the stock is quite good. The Sport Rider suggested settings probably helped.

Also, from reading here it sounds like the Rifle windscreen is popular. Changes the angle and windflow. Agreed?

I will post continued thoughts with increasing milage.

Thanks again to all.

D4D
Look here for Barbaria Jumper Mod

The Rifle screen with adjustment block was designed for the pre-2006 models. In 2006 Yamaha changed the position, angle and shape of the windshield. Trying to fit a Rifle on a 2006 may not work or may not give you the results you expect.