FJR Computer swap for Seq EFI?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, ionbeam, that answers also answers the question asked. Those who answered above are strangers and as you and others made clear in my introduction people here like to mess with each other a bit. So you are strangers who admit you'd be messing with me and you don't understand that I would be suspicious? My suspicions are verified by Ignacio moving my question to the useless section of the forum even though his and other answers did not meet the question asked.

Ignoring all else above does anyone have a constructive answer to the question which I asked?

Again I'd still like to know what the readings from the O2 sensor are supposed to be so I can eliminate that as a source.

David
Here's an example of how O2s can read. When warm they generally cycle above and below 450mV. The graphs of the top two 02s both have troubles.

The top one doesn't cycle evenly above/below 450mV. It is biased slightly lean and the controller will add extra fuel on that bank to comensate for it. The engine will run fine, but fuel mileage will suffer.

The second one is an example of a sluggish O2. It cycles the full range but has a poor response rate. O2s that are sluggish also tend to also be biased slightly lean and also contribute to poor mileage.

the bottom two O2s are located behind the catalyst. If the cat is good, and the air/fuel ratio is correct, they will read steady, as shown.

Reading O2s don't always tell the whole story. To see all of what is going on you will need a scan tool that can read the fuel trims.

Joe

02s.jpg

The guys around here like to screw with everyone especially the new guys. Don't believe what they say. Those O2 sensors are known to go bad quite often just like the CCT. Just replace it and you will be good.

And dude, I met those two fuckers at Starbucks. Don't believe them, they lie. They don't even have FJRs.

sbr_047MoranisThomas.jpg

Paraphrasing page 3-10 from the owners manual (I cannot legally make a direct quote and cannot provide a photcopy of the page - I will call Yamaha at (800)962-7926 later today for permission):

To take the front seat off- Use "lock opening device" and follow visual instructions shown above and twist. - Remove the "driver" "pad".

To Replace - blah, blah, blah.

Rear Seat -blah, blah, blah.

Nothing about octane on page 3-10 ionbeam. Is there another page I should try?

Thanks

David

The FJRs are designed for regular octain gas. Don't use premium or mid grade unless you have issues with knocking or pre-ignition. It's a waste of cash and a myth that premium has more "power" than the lower grades.

...Nothing about octane on page 3-10 ionbeam. Is there another page I should try?
OWNERS MANUAL LIT-11626-18-22 P/N 5JW-28199-12 Page 3-10. Failing that, on the index look under Fuel. Find the manual online to view and save for free: LINK.

(deleted content about why premium gas does not promote best gas mileage) +1 to what Bounce wrote.

...Nothing about octane on page 3-10 ionbeam. Is there another page I should try?
OWNERS MANUAL LIT-11626-18-22 P/N 5JW-28199-12 Page 3-10. Failing that, on the index look under Fuel. Find the manual online to view and save for free: LINK.

(deleted content about why premium gas does not promote best gas mileage) +1 to what Bounce wrote.
This is like trying to watch a monkey **** a football.

Last edited by a moderator:
joebiodiesel - I agree and I'd like to use the Solus to test it but do not see a CAN-BUS or OBDII harness to plug into. That is why I keep asking what the resistance readings should be (v = iR) so I might test it with my multimeter instead.

I thought I'd check the O2 sensor first as it plays an imprtant role in air:fuel ratios.

I've done the basics - Made sure no water in fuel. New fuel. New air cleaner element(Yamaha 5JW-14451-00-00 filter - Not K&N). Spark Plugs new and gapped. Brake pistons not locked. Greased axles.

No change. I'm thinking it is in part because I live in Western Mass and the hills and mountains have an effect (as any New Englander will tell you).

I'm having a hard time understanding how a reasonably aerodynamic bike (full fairing) with an only 1300cc engine carrying only 720 lbs (including me and fluids) can get lower fuel numbers that the much larger engined (1573.16cc), carrying two hundred more pounds (all these for the HD Street Glide) can get better fuel economy than the FJR (35/54).

It's not because it's a V-twin as the total volume of the cylinders is greater for the HD so more air and fuel should be used. It could be that the air cooling has an effect but that should be negated on the highway as it has greater air flow and is designed to catch that air than does the FJR.

David

5JW-28199-20 is what came with the motorcycle. There is part of the problem. Wrong manual.

Didn't know I had the wrong one.

But again:

I don't doubt that I can use 87 as the compression ratio is only 10.8:1. Dealers are often full of it which is why I tend to do the majority of work myself. I bought the bike from the previous owner with whom I went to the dealer to pick the bike up. I don't doubt I can use 87. The difference between 87 and 93 is 93 contains more cyclic octane (aromatic octane - octane in a ring form). Both contain straight chain octane (octane in which the carbons are in a straight line). Straight chain octane does not stand up to compression as well as cyclic octane does. This is because in the ring form the carbon atoms are bonded on two sides providing greater strength and less flexibility in the molecule, especially under compression. In the straight chain only the center 6 carbons are bonded on two sides by adjoining carbon atoms allowing twisting and easy malformation of the molecule. That allows straight chain octane to fall apart into smaller molecules under compression. This means that unless you have a high compression engine you do not need a greater proportion of cyclic octane. That does not mean the fuel will not work as well in a low compression engine, it simply means the engine will not run any better (without knocking, pinging or detonation) with higher octane. It will not get lower gas milage by using higher octane but a high compression engine will get lower fuel economy by using lower octane fuel (because of the breaking of of the molecules of straight chain octane).

The compression of the FJR is low enough that 87 is should not be a concern unless it has variable valve timing. I thought it might as the dealer claimed "91 or better." The dealer may have been thinking of an R1 which has very high compression and does need higher octane.

David
There are also major differences between what everyone is saying they are getting in terms of fuel economy. Two people were getting the same levels as I am while others seem to be getting great fuel economy.

I understand messing with someone but hitting the red - button to get them knocked off the site is petty.

Thank goodness for the anonymity websites provide I guess, huh?

Seriously, feel free to send me a message to tell me I'm a d*ck but don't eliminate my ability to participate in the very thing which many of you are saying I should (I can't sign up for meetings if I cannot sign in).

joebiodiesel - I agree and I'd like to use the Solus to test it but do not see a CAN-BUS or OBDII harness to plug into. That is why I keep asking what the resistance readings should be (v = iR) so I might test it with my multimeter instead.

I thought I'd check the O2 sensor first as it plays an imprtant role in air:fuel ratios.
The FJR does not have a CAN-BUS, and the Japanese bikes have nothing like OBDII so you won't find any connectors.

For the third time, I have posted what you need to know about the Gen I O2 sensor in Post 10

Edited to clarify:

I understand messing with someone but hitting the red - button to get them knocked off the site is petty...
Fortunately the red button doesn't work that way. The user rating is just an indication of how the general readers view a post or how they see a thread going. They can red or green you for any arbitrary reason. One of our long time, high content members ended up someplace in the -60 to -70 range but has recovered to +40 to +50 range in just a few weeks so low ratings aren't the kiss of death.

I understand messing with someone but hitting the red - button to get them knocked off the site is petty.

Thank goodness for the anonymity websites provide I guess, huh?

Seriously, feel free to send me a message to tell me I'm a d*ck but don't eliminate my ability to participate in the very thing which many of you are saying I should (I can't sign up for meetings if I cannot sign in).
David, don't worry about your numeric reputation. Howie's already proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that you can't be kicked off this site. :lol:

....... but don't eliminate my ability to participate
Dude, where did you get that notion? You reading the wrong manual again or just making it up? You should be reading from 5JW-12345-12 or the popular NEPRT thread on the subject and you'll note that it doesn't say anything about being "knocked off the site" or "eliminate my ability to participate". You could have a thousand red marks and still post.

If red negative marks trouble you that much...stop saying stupid shit. ;)

Good luck.

The Management

This is like trying to watch a monkey **** a football.
ON TOPIC: Without pictures of the monkey or a football, this thread doesn't exist, in Humble Opinions of Silver Penguin and Papa Chuy. You know the rules johnny80s!

OFF TOPIC: My 8 year old FJR gets 42mpg with an old fat **** riding it on 87 Octane! Even runs just fine on PEMEX Sin Magna, which is a 86 Octane down in Mexico!

Oh! I tried to give Zorlac a +1 but it says I used all my +1's on ionbeam (+2), phroenips and Denver_FJR (Action Failed: you have reach your quota of positive votes for the day).

It's a new day!

The FJR's fuel injection can be 'tuned' so that you can even move the 'target' or 'range' the O2 sensor keeps the fuel ratio at. At least that is what a trusted Yamaha tech has told me and seems to be anecdotally proven by those performing the BJM (Barbarian Jumper Mod).

I have stated many times my personal belief that not all FJRs are created equal when it comes to their fuel injection and the air/fuel ratio. Hence why some FJRs are 'hot' and some are not, and why some get better fuel mileage than others.

To really find out the 'facts' of what is going on with your bike I would highly recommend having each cylinder's exhaust sniffed with an EGA (Exhaust Gas Analyzer). A project I have always wanted to do myself but have not had the $$$ to do.

- The fact of the matter is..... SkooterG ears are scary-large. Motherfucker looks like a lanky Dumbo, in fact. Think I'm kidding? Check him out standing in the center of White Pine Fever "2KDay" Finishers below..... look at those massive, huge-ass ears! :eek:

wpf249.jpg
So THAT explains his nickname.....

NORAD!
Warchild, thanks for the picture; RadioHowie, somewhere out in this galaxy there is a Martian who is green with envy that he wasn't hatched with ears that fecking huge!

Holy fucking shit..... monkeyman is down to -16 on the Rep scale!!!! Dude, I like your staying power, you are SO my hero!!!! :wubsmiley:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If red negative marks trouble you that much...stop saying stupid shit.
Goddamn fookin' Admins, always showing their POW-WAH, doin' what they can to hold back the common man! :weirdsmiley:

:whistle:

MY EARS ARE NOT BIG!!!!

THEY JUST STICK OUT!!! a little bit

:****:

I have access to an EGA. If I find readings which are off I am still unsure how I would go about finding the source of the issue without checking each device independant of the others as the Solus does not seem to work with the FJR (so said SnapOn by phone).

The heat issue seems to be GenI wide as many are complaining about being baked as they site at street lights by heat from the fairings. There are a number of mods people have tried. I'll be trying an exhaust wrap if it becomes a problem (it didn't in the 500miles I've ridden so far).