FJR Review in Super Bike Magazine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
I know that the whole subject of motorcycle comparos gets people all worked up, but for those who care, there's a pretty good comparo in the December issue of SuperBike magazine. It's a British rag, so it's pricey here in the big PX. I buy my copy at Barnes and Noble. The rode the Big Beemer, the Kawi, the "Pan European", and the FJR. Winner is the K bike. FJR took last because they hated the pushbutton tranny. Without it, they had it second. Now you know.

Every publication that has reviewed the AE has hated the tranny/cluch and downgraded the FJR accordingly. The AE been a real drag on the bike's reputation, at least in the press.

For the standard bike (without the pushbutton tranny), I think we've had every major publication weigh in with a different result: the FJR has won, the C14 has won, the ST1300 has won, and the K1200GT has won. That shows you how closely matched these machines are and how much it all just depends on your individual preferences as to which you like best.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully Yamaha stops pushing the AE to the rags, and pushes the standard version for 2008. The AE should be relegated to a specialty status, for buyers who are interested. Yamaha should also be thinking about mainstream improvements for the FJR for 2009.

I would like to see their comments regarding the AE. I don't believe you can ride one for only a short time and really compare it against a "conventional" bike. Untill you understand how to get the most out of the AE it will always feel strange and do poorly in a side by side comparo. Let these journalists ride each of those bikes for 1000 miles without changing bikes in everyday living conditions and you will see their attitude change about the AE. In real life, not every road is a smooth, twisty adventure. Most times its a slog through traffic and on less than ideal surfaces.

+1 You got that right. Its completely unfair to have anybody jump on a AE and be allowed to review it.

I would like to see their comments regarding the AE. I don't believe you can ride one for only a short time and really compare it against a "conventional" bike. Untill you understand how to get the most out of the AE it will always feel strange and do poorly in a side by side comparo. Let these journalists ride each of those bikes for 1000 miles without changing bikes in everyday living conditions and you will see their attitude change about the AE. In real life, not every road is a smooth, twisty adventure. Most times its a slog through traffic and on less than ideal surfaces.
Every AE test I've seen has involved taking the FJR and other bikes on long-distance tours over thousands of miles. So I don't think the journalist's dislike of the AE bike has anything to do with not giving it a chance or being unfamilar with it.

Now motorcycle journalists may not be in the right frame of mind to appreciate the merits of the AE. And I've never ridden one, so I can't comment. But I don't think it has anything to do with "not giiving it a fair chance". If anything, the motorcycle press is too quick to laud questionable new technology.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why they are so down on trigger shifting.

Just sitting here now I'm getting strangely aroused just thinking about shifting my trigger shifter.

I don't know why they are so down on trigger shifting.Just sitting here now I'm getting strangely aroused just thinking about shifting my trigger shifter.
Ferrari owners back the "paddle shift". Outside of a disadvantage in tight spaces at slow speeds, I just can't find anything wrong with the AE. Can't beat those quick downshifts before the corner or upshifts coming out of it.

Face it guys...these bikes are being ridden/reviewed by people that luv to ride motorcycles. If they don`t like it, they don`t like it. Personally, I think head office should put an end to the "AE" project. :ph34r:

Face it guys...these bikes are being ridden/reviewed by people that luv to ride motorcycles. If they don`t like it, they don`t like it. Personally, I think head office should put an end to the "AE" project. :ph34r:

I like to ride and have been riding for 30 years. If when I first got my AE I was asked to review it I would have had mixed feelings, after that first 500 - 1000 miles of riding it and really learning how to use it properly my review would have changed. I just don't think its possible to get an informed review of the AE, unless of course you come to this forum and ask the owners of them.

Well , opinionated narrow thinking like that is what is causing the "problem" ..

I have no desire to own an AE , but I applaud Yamaha for making it. New technology aside...there are folks out there with limited use of their hands, and the AE has been the answer for some of them.

Luckily it is not bike magazine reviews that kill off a bike, it is sales (well , the lack there-of) I hope that the AE continues to exsist, and that it also gains refinement through the years like other bikes.

KM

P.S. -mcatrophy---thanks for the fix, that IS what I meant to say..(and of course I was joking)

I also applaud Yammie for sticking their necks out a little and fully realize it aint gonna be everyones cup of tea, including mine. Seems like its almost always the latest is da greatest in the mags anyway. What does surprise me however, is that they use Beemers K1200GT. Wouldnt the RT1200 be more analogous to our ride? I know its not a 4 banger, but I thought the RT's were more sport-touring ( with touring being emphasized here) than the K bike. Jest my 2 pennies.

Blessings Y'all,

Bobby

I like my AE the same as I did before I read this post, and I am sure I will after I read their article. And I've got all my fingers and toes and I like bikes with clutches too. No hatin' here!

Hopefully this will drive the price down so I can buy my next one cheap.

Journalists are dick heads.

If you are going to do a comparison, you do not put a Lamborghini up against a Golf GTi.

The AE should have been a 'wild card' in the comparison test. The real tester should have been a 'fully clutched' A model, so that it was the closest to the competition (in specifications).

Anyway...we know the Yamaha is the best....

Having had an 06 AE and riding it over 20k it would be my opinion that this bike would not be for most riders. There are really no advantages unless you have some phycial issues with your left hand and or foot. The disadvantages are that it is a handful to operate at parking lot speeds, a clutch bike will be faster as the computer will slip the clutch when you try to power shift, and it cost you a lot more $$$$. If Yamaha perfected the AE it might be worth the extra $$$$. I'm planning on getting an 08 as I wrecked my 06 and have not been able to ride but the 08 will be a clutch bike even though I'm having issues with my left foot from the accident. There are good reason the AE does not get good write ups and these are the main ones. I commend Yamaha for stepping up with something new but they need to get it right before they sell it to the public. Ride Safe

Dude, you're just fixated on the AE/standard thing, ain't ya? Feelin' defensive? :rolleyes:

The AE is for you. Awesome. Glad ya like it. But you are, among motorcycle riders, in the minority. Car drivers? Yep, here in the States they love their automatics. Hard to shift when you've got your Starbucks in one hand and the cell phone in the other. But motorcyclists on the whole have failed to make autos a long-term proposition. There have been a few now & then, but my bet is that it remains a very small segment of the market. If they were of interest, there'd be lots of 'em out there.

Traffic don't matter if you're a standard trans aficionado. If it does to you, well, don't live where there is traffic or get an automatic. No skin off my nose. Short of becoming a paraplegic, I ain't gonna be drivin' no automatics. They suck harder than a Times Square hooker wantin' to go home.

Rancho

How long 'till Friday? :p