FJR Review in Super Bike Magazine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinions are like assholes . . . . . everybody's got one.

And your point here Phil is?
My point here is, I also ride an AE, and it is fine for me. I do not need anybody else's approval to like it. Likewise, I couldn't care less if anybody else in the world likes or approves of the AE. I've been alive since the summer of '42, and remember when a full belly for a day was a real issue. I have survived bullets, spectacular motocross get-offs, & multiple fist-fights, most of which I lost. I pack heat, and don't care whether anyone approves. I am an American, which means I can do what I please, as long as I respect the other guy's right to do the same. I hope all my fellow Americans thank God every day that they have jobs, rights, and choices. Opinions are like assholes.

Quote from above: " I have survived bullets, spectacular motocross get-offs, & multiple fist-fights, most of which I lost. I pack heat, and don't care whether anyone approves. I am an American, which means I can do what I please, as long as I respect the other guy's right to do the same. I hope all my fellow Americans thank God every day that they have jobs, rights, and choices. Opinions are like assholes."

...arrgh...excuse me, while I go puke...that is the most RETARDED thing I`ve read on this forum so far! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Opinions are like assholes . . . . . everybody's got one.

And your point here Phil is?
My point here is, I also ride an AE, and it is fine for me. I do not need anybody else's approval to like it. Likewise, I couldn't care less if anybody else in the world likes or approves of the AE. I've been alive since the summer of '42, and remember when a full belly for a day was a real issue. I have survived bullets, spectacular motocross get-offs, & multiple fist-fights, most of which I lost. I pack heat, and don't care whether anyone approves. I am an American, which means I can do what I please, as long as I respect the other guy's right to do the same. I hope all my fellow Americans thank God every day that they have jobs, rights, and choices. Opinions are like assholes.

Holly ****'in shit!!! The guy's got a gun and waving the flag! Run for the igloo Ethel, and tell little Sanji to get rid of his turban quick!

I don't have a dog in this fight however I think anyone coming here should be able to express their opinion without getting trashed even if you don't agree with it. Why stretch it beyond what it is by getting into America, guns, or the flag?

My Dad always told me:

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and some stink more than others. And just so you remember, sometimes, it is Assholes that have those opinions, so you need not give a **** what they have to say...

;)

KM

I would like to see their comments regarding the AE. I don't believe you can ride one for only a short time and really compare it against a "conventional" bike. Untill you understand how to get the most out of the AE it will always feel strange and do poorly in a side by side comparo. Let these journalists ride each of those bikes for 1000 miles without changing bikes in everyday living conditions and you will see their attitude change about the AE. In real life, not every road is a smooth, twisty adventure. Most times its a slog through traffic and on less than ideal surfaces.

Comparing an AE to the other bikes with a standard transmission is apples and oranges. Maybe they should compare it to all the other bikes with automatic shifting... :rolleyes:

PS - My Dad used to say it: "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and they ALL stink."

Wait a minute. I thought that only my opinion counted :angry: . If I want your opinion I'll give it to you.

Oh wait. That's my wife. Sorry.

If anyone else's opinion mattered I would ask...

and I do.

Comparing an AE to the other bikes with a standard transmission is apples and oranges. Maybe they should compare it to all the other bikes with automatic shifting...
Well, it looks like we've now got two threads going on the forum related to automatic transmissions? They've both taken a, somewhat, heated turn.....

Here's my opinion, fwiw.....Comparing automatics to automatics may come sooner than we think -- Jan '08 issue of Motorcyclist has a test of the 2008 Aprilia Mana 850 Automatic -- and, what they say about it sounds good. Lets face it -- most people (at least in the U.S.) drive cars and trucks with automatic transmissions. And, imo, they should -- for most don't have very good skill sets. Keeping a high-performance engine operating in a proper, efficient, ready condition is lacking -- I see drivers/riders who prefer top gear as soon as and as often as possible. That's not realistic -- especially as performance levels increase. Lower gears need to be employed more often (that's why they're there). Snowmobiles are a classic example: when they came on the scene (abt. 40 odd yrs ago) they had big-torque engines and poor automatic transmissions -- today they have very hi-performance engines and very sophisticated automatic transmissions. In modern systems lower gears are selected quickly and, well, automatically -- maybe an AE downfall?

A viable alternative (and coming too) is variable cam timing -- giving engines that grunt torque (like early snowmobiles) so riders/drivers won't be forced to shift.... (jmho) :blink: :huh:

Holly ****'in shit!!! ...
Sorry folks. Of course what I meant to say was "Holy shit". Holly shit is a frozen Canadian Christmas treat. It's harvested this time of year and found in the swamp lands of northern Ontario. The moose there love holly.

I also applaud Yammie for sticking their necks out a little and fully realize it aint gonna be everyones cup of tea, including mine. Seems like its almost always the latest is da greatest in the mags anyway. What does surprise me however, is that they use Beemers K1200GT. Wouldnt the RT1200 be more analogous to our ride? I know its not a 4 banger, but I thought the RT's were more sport-touring ( with touring being emphasized here) than the K bike. Jest my 2 pennies.

Blessings Y'all,

Bobby
Actually, the K1200GT is BMW's Super Sport Touring entry. The R1200RT is actually listed as a Touring bike which has sporting ability. Both the R1200RT and K1200GT are fine motorcycles, and both could be included in a sport-touring comparo. What makes the R1200RT "lose" is the boxer twin - it doesn't make the horsepower that the inline fours do, so it's at a 'disadvantage' in those scenarios. It's still plenty fast enough to earn performance awards, though. The K1200GT just gets there MUCH more rapidly than the RT. :)

I've ridden both the R1200RT and K1200GT, as well as the FJR1300, and the FJR and K bike are more evenly matched. However - as much as I like the K1200GT, it's a pretty steep jump from an FJR1300 to a full-boat K1200GT (which is how I'd want it - ESA suspension & all the goodies). It's almost a $7,000 difference.

We should all keep in mind what Lawrence Pomeroy had to say:

"The first instance of superior principle is invariably defeated by the developed example of established practice."

This, I think, applies to the AE. And there is always a difficult curve when it comes to "customer acceptance" of a new "superior principle."

i have an AE

i love my AE

i don't care whether any magazine, government or what anybody else has to say about it. it still will not make me love my AE anyless

i have an AEi love my AE

i don't care whether any magazine, government or what anybody else has to say about it. it still will not make me love my AE anyless
Which is the best reason in the world to ride any motorcycle. If you love it, who gives a flying turd what a motorag says? :) You gotta go with the one that speaks to you.

The AE rocks. I would buy it again and will when they make another real update to the bike.

Well, can't we claim that the AE is best paddle-shift ST bike in the solar system (or known-universe depending on your tastes for hyperbole)? No one could call us liars. I'm waiting for a TCSS (telekinetically controlled shifting system: just think "Warp 9" and "Make it so").

We should all keep in mind what Lawrence Pomeroy had to say:
"The first instance of superior principle is invariably defeated by the developed example of established practice."

This, I think, applies to the AE. And there is always a difficult curve when it comes to "customer acceptance" of a new "superior principle."
While what Pomeroy says is invariably the truth, you're making a rather bold-leap assumption that an automated transmission is "superior". I'd agree it is a viable alternative, and certainly a reasonable option. I'm not so sure one can claim, at this point, that it is superior.

This logic is faulty:

Some new things are superior.

Superior things often initially fail to gain acceptance.

The AE is a new thing that has failed to gain acceptance, therefore it must be superior.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Maybe we could flip this around to unpropter it:

Some things are superior.

The AE is a superior thing.

The AE is a superior thing that has failed to gain acceptance, therefore it must be new.

This logic is faulty:Some new things are superior.

The AE is a new thing that has failed to gain acceptance, therefore it must be superior.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc