FJR, shield and helmet. Buffeting......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingz06

Reaction score
I have stock windshield on my 2009. I had a Shoei rf100. Recently brought a new Shoei RF1100.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The buffeting is 95% gone. Major difference. So everyone talks which shield, but consider your helmet also. Amazed at the difference between the two model years. So consider all things.

I will try my flip ceebailey once the 100 degree temps go away and let you know the difference.

Plus the 1100 flows massive more air thru the helmet. Day and night difference. The mouth port is amazing and the forehead liner now has ports in it.

Shoei makes a great helmet. I just ordered the Quest. it's supposed to be real quiet, relatively speaking.

I have stock windshield on my 2009. I had a Shoei rf100. Recently brought a new Shoei RF1100.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The buffeting is 95% gone. Major difference. So everyone talks which shield, but consider your helmet also. Amazed at the difference between the two model years. So consider all things.

I will try my flip ceebailey once the 100 degree temps go away and let you know the difference.

Plus the 1100 flows massive more air thru the helmet. Day and night difference. The mouth port is amazing and the forehead liner now has ports in it.
Quite a collection of cycles you have there. I have a bad habit of riding with my modular open because get pretty nuch no buffeting with it open. Would like to try a helmet that is quieter... maybe the Quest.

I've never used the RF1000 but I had the RF1100 for a couple years, then tried a Qwest. Qwest is much quieter for me - that RF1100 was deafening. I couldn't hear myself think, and had to use earplugs, which are now overkill with the Qwest. Also the 1100, being longer in the front to back aspect, picks up massive amounts of wind when one turns to check lanes. The Qwest is rounder.

I plan on adding a Rifle shield at some point this season, which should cut down on noise even further.

I use a Bell star that has performed flawlessly on several bikes biw but I am getting some buffeting on the freeway. It gets better with the visor down (I ride with the visor up most of the time)....However, I am not on a stock windshield, it has a tall Cee Baileys with the lip at the top....its going to get switched sometime soon.