fjrchik's new fjr!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchik

Just a girl in the world, having rode 3 FJRs
Reaction score
Hey all!

Made it to Texarkana around 12:30 to find John from Austin there picking up his bike too. Got all the paperwork done and bikes loaded up. Met up with John and his son at Quizno's for lunch and then headed outta town. There was an FJR moment when all the planets were aligned as Ryan and I were passing John on the freeway and at the same time there was an FJR passing us on the other side! Was rollin down the road and ryan (L8RG8R) noticed that the mirrors seemed to be flopping around a bit. We checked them at a gas station and they were incredibly loose!! So out come the tools and apart comes the dash! It was a little tough to get the left side apart but the right side was very easy. Tony pointed that out in his thread earlier. But what he doesn't know and we now do, is that Yamaha has failed to give you the proper tool in the kit to remove the battery with. You need an allen wrench that they don't supply. We wanted to remove the battery because on the right side mirror, one of the screws was missing. It had already fallen off and we couldn't get to it without removing the battery but we couldn't! So everyone needs to get themselves the proper allen wrench for that!!

We got everything tightened up and all the parts put back on. Wow - surgery already on day one! What's a girl to do? Back on the road and home in time to hit Dallas rush hour. Got a major thumbs up from a guy on a harley that passed us! He knew he was in the presence of greatness! Then we get into Arlington and the sky starts turning brown. And the gravel is flying. My baby is covered with dust and needs a bath already. After we got it off the trailer I rode around the block and only had time to notice a coupla things.

1. The seat is wider. which makes it harder for me to touch the ground. dang it!

2. The sound is very different than my 03 had. a bit deeper. cool.

3. Shifting is ALOT less work than on my 03. No thunking either!

This bike makes my 03 feel like a dinosaur! I can't wait for tomorrow!!

Here's some pics for ya to daydream on:

Me with mine and the other 2 behind me are John's and Tony's. How cool to see 3 in a row!

img19024ol.jpg

Outside shot. The color is constantly changing on this bike but the flecks in it are amazing! Truly beautiful color.

img19071zw.jpg

Tony is tying mine down and John's loaded up behind his Element.

img19137zh.jpg

That's all for now! More shots and opinions to come early next week. Major thanks to Ryan for trailering it home for me! u rock!! :punk:

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you guys initiate the bike on trailerling it home? Not even one bug medal to show! Congrads on your new bike!
The dust on it is bad enough!! Yeah no bugs yet though. tomorrow!

Thanks ZZ!

Nice blue bike you have it just like my blue one. Congrats. on the new bike and have tons of fun.

To get the dust off just bring it calif, central and we will let the rain wash it for you

nocharge for an enviromental wash job.... :haha:

Alright....we want to know and we want the truth.....How many times have you been down to the garage to check it out or sit on it?? Good Luck with the new wheels! With any luck I'll have mine next week.

NICE!

I thought about renting a uhaul to get mine tomorrow... but according to the weather channel its gonna be sunny. So I'm getting my wife and son to drive me down there.... Its 200 miles from the dealer to my home... I can't wait! Gratz on your bike!

K9

Oh, for all those that razzed the waiters.... ROFL :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
nice blue... like it much better than the 05 blue, too... but will save judgment until I see it in person.

Congrats on the new ride Ms. Chik. May you have many many miles of smiles.

Heidi

Congratulations.

I'm not envious, I'm just waiting.

I'm not jealous, I'm just waiting.

I'm not frustrated, I'm just waiting.

Have a great ride tomorrow! (but I'm still waiting)

Wow...three brand new scoots all getting trailored home. They have to be harleys. :haha:

/Users/johnrich/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2006/2006 FJR/IMG_4027.JPG

OK, Just back from my 750 mile round trip to Texarkana and picking up my cool new blue baby.

As FJRchic already mentioned in her post it was really fun to pick up our bikes together. We both have had very similar experineces and miles with our previous '03s and now share the same excitment of actualy having our new '06s!

I haven't figured out yet how to upload pics onto this site- but as you can see from her entry my Element and the standard Uhaul trailer. I can report to you that without a doubt these trailors SUCK. My son and I had to endure 5.5 hours of it's constant clunking as it was so light it bounced around like crazy. Then with the FJR in the trailor the trailir shiimied like crazy and the car shook violently!

When FJRchic passed us we were holding on as our brains rattled in our heads! So those of you considering renting this trailier- I'd say rent a heftier one!

I also so what appeared to be a '05 FJR going the other way on the highway as Ryan blew past us.

And interestingly enough- I think we were going through Temple on 35s when a Harley guy came flying down the highway and then slowed way down when he got to ourr trailer-took a long hard look and then rode up to my window and gave his thumbs up! Later on we caught up to him again but this time he was driving next to aa women in a convertible and having quite a chat. What a social guy!

As for the first ride, while in Texarkana I took her out for a qquick 15 min ride. Was able to in classic FJR style blow past cars in the( passing zome of course) with the slightest flick of the wrist. Saw 80 mph on the speedo and then slowed down- oops, does that conform to the break in period rules? haven't had a chance to read the book yet:)

I agree with FJRchic in that the 03 when shifting always had a nice smooth clunk! Noting noticed during the shifting on the 06. As already mentioned- the engine noise is cool- it is a very low purrr!

On the '03 I have been riding with Doug Hines risers. Without them, the handle bars always seemed a bit low for me. however, on the 06 the handle bars seem to be higher in the stock position and felt great to me.

I remember reading some complaints about the color and finish. On my bike the finish seemed just fine and the color- oh la la- especially when it was about twilight- the deep blue almost black color was awesome!

OK, so that's my impression from all of 20 miles. I'll be sure to chime in at the end of the weekend!

Oh, and now i can actually answer the survey of when I got my bike.

Somebody be sure to help me out with how to post pics...

John

Mighty damn nice looking. Enjoy your new rides.

And so it ends for us '05ers. We were the newest and the latest for a long time, nearly 2 years in some cases. So now, finally, we have last year's model :D .

Congrats on the new ride!

Don't forget to start the record keeping from the beginning :D !

Ride Safe!

Shane

[SIZE=21pt]Congrats, y'all![/SIZE]

Saw 80 mph on the speedo and then slowed down- oops, does that conform to the break in period rules?
You're fine. All Yamama says, at least for pre-'06, is no full-throttle acceleration and no sustained running above 5,000 rpm.

Pretty cool as these new 06's begin showing up. Good feeling to read about the excitement of the new rides. GET THEM OFF THOSE TRAILERS, they ain't Harley's.

Now for some more comparos' 'tween the old and the new.

I'm sorry everyone but after a 4 month break from riding, I am really not up for a 220 mile ride. It was extremely windy here today and I would've had been beyond exhausted. I only had 4 hours of sleep last night because as I've previously mentioned a ton, it's nascar weekend here in town and I have friends that arrived yesterday for it. they were fresh and ready to party. So I had the day off for that. It was just coincidental that I could get the bike today too. I just didn't feel it was necessary to push myself when I know I'm not up for it. I know MOST of you are just teasin but I did wanna explain why I trailered mine. I already get how harley that is!

Congrats on those gorgeous bikes!!! I thought I had the itch bad before, but now... I can hardly wait.

All I gotta say is "have fun trailoring it to harley week in north dakota".

Latest posts