FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another + of the apps is that when you're not in coverage areas, the app continues to collect data and then updates spotwalla when you get back in range. That's nice for reviewing and sharing trips and such. But. *Still, hard to beat the awesomeness and robust safety that comes with satellite (SPOT) tracking. Also, to my knowledge, the rallies that require spotwalla (ie: IBR, cognoscente, Big Sky etc etc) they all require SPOT and not apps.

BMR next year might introduce some techy spotwalla functionality ...and either apps or SPOT will be acceptable.
Some do, most don't. What they require is reliable position tracking. When pushed most would accept a new position every 30 minutes at the outside. This is probably not an issue East of the Mississippi, but get out west and you can ride a long time with no cell service.

What would you ride in the Hopeless Class?

I choose a Water Buffalo. 1975 Suzuki GT750.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I "head to the hills", I rarely have cell coverage. I typically ride alone. Note sure my family would bother to look for me, but at least I know my SPOT will keep transmitting until the battery gives out. i did my part. $150/yr is no issue..
My wife (she pays all the bills) doesn't seem to care what it costs, I have to have the SPOT, without interruption, when I'm out on my own...which is often.

What would you ride in the Hopeless Class?
I choose a Water Buffalo. 1975 Suzuki GT750.
I've toyed for some time about building a rally bike out of a Kawasaki KZ1000P Police bike.

Stone simple motor. Big seat for all day police riding. Radio platform could be used for aux fuel. Big fairing that you could retrofit HID lights in place of the the police flashers. Problem is finding one in good shape. Many of these were seriously beat on, and they aren't getting any newer.

The puzzles are still going to be the time distance equation,
The great thing about the Rally is that both sides constantly step up their game , it is evolutionary and it remains in existence for the rider's benefit , challenge and enjoyment.
I guess the LBJ Memorial is good example. One contender recognizes mutiple bonuses can be bagged from a single spot and has at least another couple of hours to play with that others don't. Masters and riders benefit from the same tools but it still comes down how you play the game. Great stuff.

My wife and I left a note of encouragement and a Snickers bar on a GoldWing seat at a Motel in El Dorado KS. I guess we are stalkers!

Just looked at the spot page. Dang. A LOT of them are going to have a long haul tomorrow. I'm psyching myself up to make a 600 mile ride into a 700 mile ride by catching some mountains near the end. Many of these riders have a full day just to get to where I am in Wichita.

There will be a number of them pulling over 1500 tomorrow. Wow. I wish them all the best and will be thinking of them as I go half that distance.

Godspeed, riders.

Noob here, though I've been hooked and watching these for 10 years or so. I'm absolutely engrossed in the rally and see how deeply it tests what folks are made of.

I'm in Mitchell S.D. tonight on my way to Spearfish to see friends. After catching up on this thread, I looked at the Spotwalla page one last time (just one more time!) and dang if there isn't a flag at the other end OF MY MOTEL!

So I just had to go for a midnight walk. The Spot was accurate down to the parking place. Resting nicely, covered, the bike that is - he(?) must be in a room. Likely headed for the photo at Mt Rushmore tomorrow.

Unfortunately my front brakes are shaky at best (pinhole in a hose) so I can't crash the photo. Prudence says get to Spearfish and don't go up the hill, sts.

I rubberbanded a note and a pack of road crackers for breakfast to a highway peg. Travel well...

I rubberbanded a note and a pack of road crackers for breakfast to a highway peg. Travel well...
Nice!
thumbsup.gif

I'm in Mitchell S.D. tonight on my way to Spearfish to see friends. After catching up on this thread, I looked at the Spotwalla page one last time (just one more time!) and dang if there isn't a flag at the other end OF MY MOTEL!

What a coincidence! I left the note on the guys bike in Clarksville, and later found out it was Drew Dill. Since then I've got his private Spot and I've been following and rooting for him on his blue CVO Road Glide. Now you found him at your hotel in Mitchell and left another note on the same bike. He's going to feel very appreciated.

What a coincidence! I left the note on the guys bike in Clarksville, and later found out it was Drew Dill. Since then I've got his private Spot and I've been following and rooting for him on his blue CVO Road Glide. Now you found him at your hotel in Mitchell and left another note on the same bike. He's going to feel very appreciated.
Very cool ... I have a brand new 2015 Road Glide Special and I was wondering who was riding the Blue CVO Road Glide.

Oh that'd be fun. FL plate and a bun burner gold plate holder. Nelson Rigg cover. Didn't think it was a HD. Bags and taillight look fjr-ish. But I sorta hope you're right. No matter. Good times.

<< snip>> But. *Still, hard to beat the awesomeness and robust safety that comes with satellite (SPOT) tracking. Also, to my knowledge, the rallies that require spotwalla (ie: IBR, cognoscente, Big Sky etc etc) they all require SPOT and not apps.BMR next year might introduce some techy spotwalla functionality ...and either apps or SPOT will be acceptable.
I'm not so sure about "robust safety" of the SPOT units. My Spot II died after only 18 months of use. Worse thing was that I did not know it had died until I reached home after a further 4 days. All the lights seemed to work, but no signals were being "uploaded".

I also understand that a number of Spot units have failed during this years IBR.

If you want "robust safety" maybe you need to carry 2 Spot units, with one acting as redundant back-up.

I now use the Bubbler app on my Android phone.

The "Who" sitting outside of Wheeling WV just has a mere BBG to ride in the remaining hours of the 2015 IBR.....God speed to whom it may concern!!!

The "Who" sitting outside of Wheeling WV just has a mere BBG to ride in the remaining hours of the 2015 IBR.....God speed to whom it may concern!!!
1600 miles in 27 hours....just a bit less than a BBG pace, but certainly a rider that's not going to have a lot of time collecting off-route bonuses along the way.

It looks like a lot of riders are in their rest bonus, but probably should be mostly moving tin the next several hours.

1600 miles in 27 hours....just a bit less than a BBG pace, but certainly a rider that's not going to have a lot of time collecting off-route bonuses along the way.

It looks like a lot of riders are in their rest bonus, but probably should be mostly moving tin the next several hours.
Doable yes but, last day...........going to be grueling.....hope they got some good rest!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.