FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You were part of why I wrote that. I trust it was a good kind of cry. :)

Speaking of ferries, there's another rider who went after the bonus on Long Island. If he'll be going north from there I wonder if he's aware of the ferry which would drop him off in New London. If timed right that could save a considerable amount of time and traffic aggravation going back as he came and would also give him a nice hour break off the bike.
Ken A. Did the LI bonuses last night. He was aware of the ferry and was attempting to work it into his plans. It didn't jive with a few of the daylight bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
IBR Rider in Maine needs help:

Mike Heitkamp is on I-95 50 miles west of Houlton Maine with a large hole in his rear tire. He is plugging it but has several plugs in already and it is not holding air, even long enough to move down the road. There is a truck stop in Houlton that might be able to patch it that is open today if he could get his wheel there. Otherwise he is also looking at an option to get it into Canada where there are open MC shops today.

He has a 2015 GSA. Can anyone in the area offer assistance? Please call or text me, 952-412-6235.
Mike has a tow truck coming to get him. He will tow it to Bangor and wait for the dealerships to open in the morning. Hopefully one of them has a tire for him. If we come up with a better option once he is in Bangor he'd still love to get back on the road earlier!
Posted on adv as well.

What tire does a GSA use?

Try posting here: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/maine-riders.396920/page-2759
170-60-17
Mike is in Bangor. Chris W is 2 hours out with a 180/55-17 they are going to try and squeeze on. If they can't get that to work, Chris is also bringing a trailer so they can get the bike to somewhere that does have one.
Chris and mike got the tire installed. Mike is all set! Nice work Chris W!

Riders are reaching apogee. The rubber band is taught. Riders are feeling the tug of Minneapolis and gazing at the horizon...and horizon beyond. There are a precious few mountain ranges, valleys, and prairies between them and the barn.We're in Day 9 and "the fog" is starting to set in riders minds. Nobody can understand this time between now and the finish...except maybe riders who have done it before...and even we only vaguely remember it.

Majestic sunrises have been seen, wispy sunsets witnessed, and emotions are just below the surface of every rider. Triumph and bittersweet tears are in play...and hopefully no tragedy to come.

Give a virtual hug to your favorite rider tonight. They can feel you...they're reading this and social media even though they can't say anything....they're turning their two wheels to get back to you.

And we're at the Finish Line, virtual or literal, waiting with open arms....and even Warchild is smiling. Minnesota wants you to come back!

Ride smooth tonight IBR Class of 2017.

Matt Watkins
IBA #332

Very well said!!!

..snip....Give a virtual hug to your favorite rider tonight.

...snip...

Matt Watkins

IBA #332
Thanks Matt. Nice post.

I've given a few virtual hugs this evening, but I publicly want to state that my hugs to Erik Lipps, Keen Meese and Paul Slaton were truly man-hugs. Not to be confused with some of the brokeback rider hugs that I've witnessed vacationing here in San Francisco this weekend.

I have seen a few dudes on the same bike this weekend, which was comforting as I thought maybe it was just an IBR thing, seems it's more common than I realized.

RJ

Looks like one of the riders got left behind in Newfoundland. Not enough room on the boat? This is not good. The other possibility is it is a new rider who just got there and the other are heading back already. Let's see how long it sits there to find out.

Dave

So, I am assuming the newfies got on the 2345 ferry last night, but they still haven't made it to North Sydney? Ferry late? slow for weather? I did a quick google maps from the terminal in NS to Minneapolis and didn't realize it was showing KM and I nearly died when I saw 3499.... In miles I think it was more like 2100 or 2200, Whew. Now, that's a straight shot, I'm guessing they'll be collecting things along the way :)

Zoom in, all 4 are still visible. They will show up on the other side soon.

Five bikes holed up at motels near my house in CVG. For one of the bikes it is the 3rd time they have been thru the area in the last 24 hours as they do a figure 8. The bonus on the campus of Northern KY University seems to be a popular one. The bonus is on the third floor of the library at the campus. At 7:30am EDT all the riders are still showing at the motels. Passed another rider on a black ST1300 flying an American Flag off the top box yesterday while I was out on errands. They were on I-275 headed towards the NKU bonus (it is a VW bug art form with spines on its top to make it look like a brontosaurus (sp). JEF

Looks like one of the riders got left behind in Newfoundland. Not enough room on the boat? This is not good. The other possibility is it is a new rider who just got there and the other are heading back already. Let's see how long it sits there to find out.
Dave
Ya gotta zoom in, there's 4 on top of each other. They were probably all together pinging away. On the way up, the spot stayed at the terminal until they arrived in Newfoundland. I'm guessing they are still on the ferry - the metal box doesn't let the signal hit the satellite

So, I am assuming the newfies got on the 2345 ferry last night, but they still haven't made it to North Sydney? Ferry late? slow for weather? I did a quick google maps from the terminal in NS to Minneapolis and didn't realize it was showing KM and I nearly died when I saw 3499.... In miles I think it was more like 2100 or 2200, Whew. Now, that's a straight shot, I'm guessing they'll be collecting things along the way :)
There was a ferry after 6am today. They will show up again soon.

There was a boat at 11:45 last night and one at 6:30 this morning.

I don't think they made the one last night but should be in Nova Scotia by 1:30 this afternoon.

Running through NFLD at night is not my idea of a good time.

Too many four legged speed bumps.

Canadian FJR

Ah right, forgot about the 6AM ferry. I saw the spots starting about 0430 local time, so that may be the case. This gives them much less time for collecting on the way back to MN. I'm guessing whatever was out there was very very worth it. Sometimes a few big rocks are better, sometimes more smaller ones are the ticket. We shall all find out soon enough
smile.png

Anyone have news about what happened to the Liles? I saw a post on FB about both needing surgery, but that it could wait until they got home.

Anyone have news about what happened to the Liles? I saw a post on FB about both needing surgery, but that it could wait until they got home.
From Day 9 Report:

"Sam and Sydney Liles called from Alabama in July and thought it necessary to say it was hot and humid. At least they still have a functional BMW (fingers crossed). You may recall their unbelievable 2015 trials and tribulations with a failure on their new BMW K1600. They do need to find a rear tire soon, as the tread on their Pilot PR4 is down to the “second wear bars”."

Status
Not open for further replies.